LGBTQ+ Megathread & Lounge (Part 2)

I’m allergic to cats

Slime cat pet it is then

4 Likes

The DK killer:

4 Likes

Cats are so funny

1 Like

That’s terrible! I wish I was an old slapper back then to come by and give a slap to the person/hidden demon who made you run a mile on crutches.

I wonder if you think this high physical pain tolerance is genetic, just something you had your whole life? Or did experiencing this excruciating pain make your point of reference stronger than what most other people know, so you can handle much more because to you something is 25% of the worst but for them it’s maybe 60% of the worst or something? Sorry if this is too personal of a question.

I am a non-believer in time, feel free to contact me in 30 years (in this smelly life or whatever I’m up to next), remind me that I liked you, what we were talking about, and keep going.

You could probably pull it off :person_tipping_hand:

What about food you hate, to give you that spicy kick of anger that the food exists and motivate you?

4 Likes

I mean I guess that counts

Good god I HATED PE back in school. Don’t get me wrong I love doing my exercises, but it was the entire experience of getting all sweaty, having faulty shower rooms where students BROKE THE DOORS, and dealing with all the heat, humidity, BO for the rest of the day that turned me into an auntie that carries body wipes and deodorants everywhere I go now cause if there’s one thing we’re not going to do it’s to smell bad

3 Likes

I don’t really understand what the point of that class was. I guess it was to teach students how to exercise safely?

4 Likes

tbh i enjoyed it bcz i was competitive but i hated swim pe year sophomore year pe was fine cause they didn’t make you do swim more than one year

1 Like

Preparing you for the mean world of adulthood, where you have to play dodgeball and run in a circle really fast.

6 Likes

I believe my high physical pain tolerance is a result of all of the pain during that period. I don’t know for sure though. It’s not like the leg pain isn’t there or that other pain doesn’t bother me at all, but I’m just able to go along with my life with it there mostly ignoring it unless it spikes. I don’t take any prescription pain medication (I did until very early '08 after I quit drinking in nov’07, but I’m a substance abuser and I know I can’t use them responsibility and as prescribed). It’s very rare I take any over the counter pain relievers either, mostly only to reduce swelling and pressure in my knee rather than knee and leg pain.

I guess I wouldn’t rule out a genetic per-disposition to pain tolerance. I believe I’ve read before a few years ago that there’s some correlation between between red hair and pain tolerance. I am not redheaded, but my sister is as was my grandmother and most of her siblings and my great-grandmother and her sister. My great-grandmother, her sister, and my great-grandfather were Scottish immigrants. I have no clue though. Not related to that, but there’s a very high number of those of us from that great-grandfather (who had severe agoraphobia) on on through generations of his decedents who suffer from various anxiety disorders and panic disorder. :person_shrugging:

7 Likes

Listen, I’m not saying my trip to the hospital for a papercut was expensive, but:

(This is a notification I got the other day on my mom’s phone, apparently this is how the government ensures SSI recipient’s family can’t take the money that “rightfully” belongs to the government.)

(And yes, I know some banks do this for all deceased account holders, but there’s literally a 100 billion dollar withdrawal by SSI Treasury in the transactions lol)

6 Likes

Probably to keep active. I kinda wish it was a thing where you could choose what you liked to do cause I really disliked sessions where they’d make the class play soccer or force you to run. I’m the type that enjoys a nice cardio routine with some music and some resistance training. Especially when Britney Spears was on the radio.

Call me a diva but I hate public swimming pools of all kinds like I do not trust what people do in there

3 Likes

Ugh, go down to the supermarket, and run into a bunch of trouble teenagers spitting on people, and shouting out racial slurs.

Report it to the police, and get told there isn’t anything they can do about it. What in the world is going on here where we have laws that doesn’t seem to get enforced anymore.

9 Likes

Thank you for sharing that with me Pharazon, I am really happy for you that you were able to overcome the drinking, that must have taken a lot of strength.

One of my dear friends is now agoraphobic, but I would say she lives on the Internet? She’s also very religious so I told her she was starting her own monastery in her house.

What I didn’t understand about being agoraphobic is that it’s not just very severe fear of the outside world, but also some sort of tethering which gets stronger the longer it remains unchallenged.

I’ve followed this line of thinking too - where, the more something is a certain way, the more justification seems to exist for that thing being that certain way. And I wish I could move past this equilibrium-seeking default mode that’s been an essential reinforcement for the societal normalization of slavery, misogyny, war, etc. and it’s saddening to me that the alternatives all seem to require significantly more exertion of conscious will. Which is so much easier said than done!

And, to make a jarring segue, this is why I love gnomes. They don’t seem to follow this “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” platitude (which I also believed for several years of my life without questioning it). They break everything in hopes of making something better.

7 Likes

Sounds like you just ran into a few future cops. Why would they punish those that will grow up to be useful boots? I do sympathize but unfortunately, you just learned a very valuable lesson that unless your name is Starbucks, the police are not paid to protect you. I’m so so sorry you had to experience this. But tomorrow is a new day, with new people, and new experiences. I don’t want to try to speak for everyone but, we’re here for you, always.

7 Likes

There is so much awesome here. Thank you.

3 Likes

Oh at that point i would be calling people and being all kinds of mad.

That’s holy snickerdoodle batman.

1 Like

It’s apparently what banks do when notified of a deceased account holder.

I just found it incredibly weird it was done by the government withdrawing it.

2 Likes

I think it’s because our brains are designed to keep us safe, so it can create a sort of reinforcing mechanism where:

[ y ] threat is identified ==> I find [ x ] to be safe ==> I do [ x ] again to keep feeling safe ==> ok this definitely works I’m going to keep doing it. And I keep this ambiguous because [ x ] can be a wide variety of things that can be good/bad, but then what’s funny is that what’s good at one point of time may not be good at another point of time so it’s not static either, and we can’t just blindly look at a previous solution and think that would work a 2nd/3rd/nth time.

So a lot of personal development and problem-solving in general is in identifying those [ x ] strategies and patterns and questioning whether it really works, or if there’s better ways to deal with it, and also knowing that it’s not going to work all the time. There’s a need to be experimental and curious. And a big part of that is to also keep learning and gathering new information so you have new tools to adapt. In general, we have to be constantly evaluating and adapting otherwise the brain becomes stuck and stubborn.

4 Likes