LGBTQ+ Megathread & Lounge (Part 2)

Roto is a pain. Learning how to do it was a pain too. But it’s a good skill.

2 Likes

Mhm. I’d imagine its great for muscle memory after awhile tho. I’m not sure. Tracing does have its practical uses. Good for a warm up and to just get your hand used to drawing certain things. The problem is when people try to profit off it with art scams.

Still feel bad because Peach cracked one of her nails. It wasn’t a long nail or anything. Her front nails are lil stubs. One of them still got cracked with a chunk missing.

She wasn’t bleeding, no limping, no obvious “Hey this hurts” noises. I just wanna be sure she’s okay because she is part pit bull and those dogs are just built to shrug off pain. Actual “Yall hear something?” attitude lol.

Only a really small part of the quick is exposed. But still no bleeding. Girls just putting her full weight on her paw and running around like its no biggie lol

2 Likes

Same. Moving on…

Oh phew my Stolas yootooz figure came in the mail. Good thing I didn’t wait to check our mailbox

Arizona heat will absolutely melt stuff if its in a stuffy mailbox for too long. Kinda expected the figure to be heavier but I never had a yootooz before. Lil cutie owl

5 Likes

Yay stolas!

3 Likes

I would have gotten the rest but eh. Money was tight so I went with my fav.

Kinda hope we get a Fizzy and Ozzy one. Cuz you know if they get their own Yootooz I am not separating them.

A Queen Bee figure would be dope tho. I just love Beelzebub’s busy design.

2 Likes

Fizz is great, Ozzy too. Oh god the hilarious dynamic.

1 Like

I’m chowing down on Chocolate Bars and dipping them in Peanut Butter…

1 Like

The male / male relationships in both shows are just fun, messy and chaotic lol. Yes even Vox and Val are fun. Oh they’re gross. But they’re also very fun to watch.

2 Likes

you got peanut butter in my chocolate!

You got chocolate in my peanut butter!

3 Likes

yeah sometimes when resources are scarce, you have to make decisions about what is your first priority.

Well. It wasn’t a “its this figure or food” situation or anything. Casual spending money was just a little smaller when those figures went on pre order. It was when we were prepping to move.

So, I’ve been playing FF14 a lot lately, and it’s growing on me.

But there’s one thing in the game that bothers me immensely and people keep telling me I need to get over it.

They consistently use the term Queer to refer to something being strange or bad. I’m aware that is the “actual” definition for it, but as someone who had it slung at me as an insult, I don’t like the word. I can’t stop people from identifying as it, but I will not use that word to describe someone. You can reclaim the term all you want for yourself, but you can’t remove my trauma from it.

However, to see a company blatantly use the word in a bad light, and having people tell us to ignore it, is stupid. Yes, context matters, but when there’s a history behind a usage of a word, that matters as well.

5 Likes

Cue me singing the word loudly when Nightmare Before Christmas involves it

4 Likes

Going to wish everyone here an amazing and wonderful day!

7 Likes

So, I am a bit reticent to even broach this subject. But, like Maizou, I find it very hard to think of this in a positive light when it was always one of the most used slurs against me.

It’s certainly good that many have reclaimed it and wear it with positivity. But, honest question, how can someone on a personal mental level even start an individual reclamation of queer when it was always used negatively towards me. Honestly, I’d rather it at least be neutral in my head instead of me flinching inside every time I hear or read it when someone is using it as positive descriptor. So, if anyone has any any good advice about how to even start seeing the word in a more positive light, I would be grateful because I feel bad for always recoiling inside when I see someone use it for good.

That said, I’m just asking for me not because I think Maizou should try to see past the hate that queer has been used for. I just would like to try myself. There are a couple words, mainly starting with ‘f’, that I refuse to even think about reapportioning for myself. I had one of the words thrown directly into my face by an extended family member just a couple of weekends ago. I won’t ever wear or use those words in a positive way; I can’t. I don’t deal with conflict either, so when she said it, I just drove home and cried instead. Anyways…myself, I would be open to suggestions on how to make queer feel less hurtful, but I’m not sure if I can get there…and there are other words that I can never see as anything but hateful and negative.

Unrelated to above, but, Maizou, are you hanging in there what with the news you told us a few days ago? :people_hugging:

8 Likes

Edit: Deleted to avoid hashing out a debate to have appeared to have ended.

Happy Saturday all! :heart_on_fire:

8 Likes

I don’t want to come off like I’m defending usage of this word because I’m not, but I think it’s important to remember that Japan is still a largely homogenous society and very very conservative as a whole.

Fans of 80s and 90s manga, anime and video games especially have probably seen LGBT characters used for comedic effect, as punchlines and even as villains many times. @Pharazon specifically, I’m sure you’re probably familiar with the stage-1 miniboss in Streets of Rage 3, Ash, who is a comical stereotype of the “gay/flamboyant cop with chaps” which was removed for the US release. Another example is the conversation Rosenivy and I had further up in the thread (starts at post #2580ish) about Final Fight/Street Fighter’s character Poison, a character who has has become hugely popular despite any negative connotations about her identity.

I think as a society, despite their heavy conservatism, Japan has made quite a few strides towards inclusivity and understanding, especially with the popularity of yuri and yaoi-themed manga and anime, but of course there’s always a lot of room for improvement.

The anime Ibuki mentioned above, Yuri on Ice, has a yaoi theme and has very positive reviews even among Japanese audiences. Bloom Into You is a yuri series I can recommend that also has glowing reviews for the way it deals with its theme and characters.

So I think things will only continue to get better as time goes on and more people realize that acceptance doesn’t take some monumental effort. It should be easy to be nice. There’s still a ways to go, but I think we’ll get there even if it’s slower than people would like.

5 Likes

Sorry, I should probably say that I wasn’t referring to how it’s used in FF14 as a literal synonym for peculiar but solely in my life experience with how queer has been mostly directed towards me as a slur, and how it’s tough to reconcile that with queer being a reclaimed term used proudly. I think it’s awesome that it’s used proudly, but that doesn’t mean it’s not a word that doesn’t still cause thoughts of pain.

7 Likes