LGBTQ+ Megathread & Lounge (Part 2)

Yeah,I saw some blurbs on that as well.

That would be cool too see come to screens.

Yeah on top of Thundercats he’s got four other projects as well. Dude has a stacked Schedule. But he’s said he and Legendary are on good terms and if he can return in the future he will.

1 Like

Right on. Dude makes fun movies. You don’t wanna just be stuck in one series. Especially since its been like. A decade.

I watched the 1985 show when I was little. It was so good

3 Likes

The 80’s were filled with some pretty good cartoons.

5 Likes

Do you remember Rainbow Brite? My older sister was obsessed, she had the overalls, the posters, the makeup set, the bedspread, I’ll never get that girl’s face out of my head.

2 Likes

Big thing with the 80s was not only the animation style but the music. You had Masters of the Universe, Thundercats, TMNT all kinds of fun wacky cartoons.

I was born in the 90s but I got a lot of hand me downs and tv show recordings from my brothers lol

6 Likes

The 80’s were neat for movies and shows. Lately I’ve been getting into analog horror. 80’s movies / shows were absolutely perfect for that.

I started to re-watch the Ring (the American remake version) and I’m noticing things about the world building that I never noticed before growing up.

I feel kinda sad though because you can’t really do those types of things anymore. I mean there’s Rings the series reboot that shows her going through the flat screen TV but its not the same

3 Likes

Check out some of the action movies that aren’t technically horror movies but can be considered in that analog stop motion genre (Robocop, Ghost busters that kind of deal).

The animation style for back then was stop motion mixed with prefilmed stuff and was pretty cool how they did it. Terminator is another example of that. Both the first and second movie used stop motion and model sets.

Alien the original used models and I think a little bit of stop motion in that style.

Here’s a video on Robocop’s animation

5 Likes

Model and miniature usage is amazing in film, because perspective can be used to create some realistic shots.

6 Likes

I really hope the Last Ronin TMNT movie is done well.

3 Likes

Me too. That concept is awesome yet sad at the same time. It’s something that, ultimately, it was inevitable you know?

1 Like

shout out to matte paintings too

5 Likes

I think that’s what gave a lot of those movies back then their charm cause not only was it a movie but it was that “trick of the camera” stuff.

Newer movies it’s just animate 3d model and go from there. Idk it adds depth to a movie knowing that the elements you see are physically out there somewhere in the world.

2 Likes

it was also a LOT of work. One of my fav animated films is called Rock and Rule. It was a film made by folks fresh out of college basically. Worked on in the late 70s and released in the early 80s.

Yes they do roto scoping but roto scopings got its uses. Also just oodles of layers that had to be worked on one at a time. I forget the super specific wording. 3D graphics were not easy back then but dangit they tried and I love the results.

4 Likes

One of the best versions of Lord of the Rings was Rotoscoped too.

Bakshi’s Lord of the Rings film is how I got into Fantasy to start, and the Nazgul?

They were terrifying to a 4 year old back then.

5 Likes

Yeah. I just know roto scoping gets kinda a bad rep because its “cheating” and it can look jarring.

2 Likes

It’s just tedious.

2 Likes

Yeah, the practical effects of the 80s - compared to special effects/CGI later - were pretty slick

3 Likes

I imagine an animator is just “God i just wanna draw a smear frame so bad to get this shot over with” lol

We love a good smear frame. Useful little buggers.

2 Likes