LGBT Movies

:rainbow_flag: :rainbow_flag:Not a troll post. Genuinely curious in other movies people like. :rainbow_flag: :rainbow_flag:

Prayers for Bobby: This entire movie is on youtube and it’s quite sad but Sigourney Weaver is great

The Half of It: This is a newer movie on netflix, not your usual gay movie. Really good.

Closet Monster- older movie, but probably my favorite. If you’ve read this far you should check it out

7 Likes

Can TV series count? Because She-Ra and the Princesses of Power fits the bill and is awesome.

4 Likes

Here’s a list of some I’ve seen and recommend. :rainbow_flag: :smiley:

Torch Song Trilogy was one of the first LGBT movies I ever saw. It’s adapted from Harvey Fierstein’s play of the same name and stars him, Matthew Broderick and Anne Banecroft. The story takes place in 3 different periods in time relating what the main character, Harvey Fierstein, is going through. I really enjoyed it and would love to see a theatrical performance some day.

Bird Cage is still a fun movie. You could always watch La Cage aux Folles instead or watch both to see the differences. I was lucky to see a theatrical performance of La Cage with George Hamilton. :smiley:

Beginners: Stars Christopher Plummer and Ewan MacGregor. :heart: :heart:

Philadelphia: Tom Hanks and Denzel Washington. Really good if you like legal dramas. Hanks won his first Oscar and I love the song Bruce Springsteen did for it.

In & Out: Sweet and funny movie starring Kevin Kline who plays a teacher in a small town who accidentally gets outed by a former student during their Academy Award speech. A lot of good names in it. Tom Selleck :heart: :heart: :heart:, Joan Cusack, Matt Dillon, Debbie Reynolds, Wilford Brimley, Bob Newhart.

5 Likes

Does Rocky Horror Picture Show count? Tim Curry was(is) amazing in it.

8 Likes

Such a good movie and absolutely. Thanks for the reminder that I havent watched it in awhile

I remember seeing this but I wasn’t sure about it! I’ll have to check it out thanks :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Sorry, I’ve created a big ole tome of a post. For TL;DR just copy/paste links LOL. :sunglasses:

Drei (Three), directed by Tom Tykwer:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1517177/

All of Tykwer’s movies are excellent, but Drei is a standout for me. Definitely worth a watch.

:white_medium_small_square: :white_medium_small_square: :white_medium_small_square:

Strangers on a Train (European Version) directed by Alfred Hitchcock:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0044079/

So, yeah, it’s not overt, but how obvious could you really get in 1951? Well, obvious enough that American censors demanded the removal of a couple scenes and shortening of a couple shots which were clearly suggestive of a same-sex interest between the two main characters. Respect to Hitchcock for pushing the envelope in those times.

:white_medium_small_square: :white_medium_small_square: :white_medium_small_square:

Milk, directed by Gus van Sant:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1013753/

Hedwig and the Angry Inch, directed by John Cameron Mitchell:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0248845/

Brokeback Mountain, directed by Ang Lee:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0388795/

I hope so!

TV series I’ve loved:

• Six Feet Under
  • Orange is the New Black
  • The ‘L Word’ (Original series; I haven’t seen the new one yet, if its out.)
  • Tales from the Loop (Episode 6, “Parallel” - absolutely excellent.)
  • Black Mirror (Episode “Striking Vipers”)

The Black Mirror episode stands on its own and needs no knowledge of the series or other episodes, so you could just view that one and get the full experience.

On the other hand, while the Tales from the Loop episode stands OK on its own, the impact is much more intense if you watch the whole series up to that point. It’s great entertainment, I highly recommend it in its entirety.

Well, Black Mirror too, but you get it :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Wig in A Box or Origin of Love is my fav from this. GOD what a good movie!

Omg I always here people talk about San Junipero, but not this one!

Thanks for all the suggestions :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hmmmmmm.

I can’t think of any sadly.

:man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Well feel free to check out some of these! Milk is a really good one to watch if you’ve never seen anything

2 Likes

v for vendetta was good

1 Like

Well it isn’t the main focus, but some LGBT themes are explored in ‘The Perks of Being A Wallflower’. I’d recommend it to anyone who appreciates good editing and feels.

2 Likes

Origin of Love is straight rock and roll. Love that show overall.

1 Like

🤷

Hmmmmmmm

1 Like

Here’s a few.

Portrait of Jason (1967) - A documentary that is an interview with Jason Holliday. A bit of a hard watch given the age of the picture and how he’s treated but important to see.

Je, Tu, Il, Elle (1974) - French Drama about a woman who has a bit of a psychological breakdown after a break up.

Keiko (1979) - Japanese Drama about a woman who starts a happy relationship with a fellow female co-worker but feels pressured by her father and society to not do so.

Paris is Burning (1990) - Documentary about the lives of a wide variety of folks, including many LGBTQ+ members and goes deep into some topics.

Orlando (1992) - British Drama about an ageless person who goes through many different experiences, based off of the Virginia Woolf novel.

Bound (1996) - American crime thriller written produced and Directed by the Wachowski Twins.

The Watermelon Woman (1996) - A film directed by a Black lesbian filmmaker Cheryl Dunye about the history of black women and lesbians in film.

Big Bang Love, Juvenile A (2006) - Japanese Drama about a troubled youth who kills another boy.

Carol (2015) Romance Drama about a woman who falls for an older woman.

The Handmaiden (2016) Korean Drama that is fairly complex and tackles many themes and ideals.

2 Likes

“And in that moment, I swear we were infinite” that always stuck with me. Great move. Been awhile since i read the book

I love drag and this one is really eye opening. You have lots of recommendations I will have to look into!

4 Likes

:man_shrugging:

1 Like

Yes it was.

BUT, beware that film’s fans. Hoo boy, beware.

1 Like

Well thankfully you posted here so you will get more updates as movies are posted! There is a whole thread now for you to see if you enjoy any of them.

Rocky Horror and Hedwig and the angry inch are great places to start if you haven’t seen them

1 Like

While not a movie, Pixar has a short called Out on Disney + and it’s gotten good reviews. I’ve yet to see it, as I don’t have Disney +. :frowning:

1 Like

Pride (2014)

Geography Club

God’s own country

Moonlight

2 Likes