LFG terms explained

Dude. You guys seriously jacked the newbs thread to argue about initials to dungeons? Run now OP. Lol. JK.<<joking/just kidding
You’re all wrong anyways. Deadmines is one word and should have been abbreviated as just D. /end arguement forever. :rofl:
Carry on.

Again, I hope that helps you feel better about yourself. Good luck in the future.

Yeah, and unfortunately Horace just couldn’t let it go. We moved past it for a minute and he just couldn’t step off his high horse.

orly

Yes, clearly I am the one who cannot let it go. :kissing_heart:

For someone that’s trying to act like you’re superior to everyone else, you sure have trouble looking at the times of each post.

Called it a day and made a list to be helpful to the OP, then some moron comes running in to keep it going. lol

My first post in this thread is me helping OP.

Your first post is literally editing somebody else’s helpful post in order to make a stance about VC vs DM.

:kissing_heart:

Your “helpful” post is “lol ask everyone,” then explaining why people should avoid grouping with you (though that wasn’t the intent, that’s the outcome from your posts).

Mine is calling the correct abbreviation for the OP to help them avoid confusion when people call out “LFM VC,” albeit not in the best way it could’ve been done. Then the usual amusing VC vs DM argument that no one takes seriously.

Then you’re conveniently ignoring the giant post of acronyms and helpful tips for the OP because that helps you feel like you’re right. People like you are always that simple.

That guide was notoriously wrong about a lot of things in the game. I certainly wouldn’t use it as an accurate source for anything.

You think VC vs DM for Van Cleef or Deadmines is bad, try sparking off the PVE = “Player Vs Environment” or “Player Vs Enemy” fight. The “Environment” side of that argument makes the 'Cleefers look like Gandhi going so far as to active try and erase the older “Enemy” term from places like Wiki.

Welcome to MMOs!

Let’s not forget RuneScape’s “PvM” to add to the mix. lol

1 Like

Mmm, well Deadmines was out for a while before there even was a Dire Maul. People had been using DM for Deadmines that whole time. When Dire Maul did come out people used DM:E, DM:N, DM:W for it.

Some people started to use VC for various reasons but Deadmines had DM before Dire Maul did. Not to mention that it was a lot of people’s first instance, forming a lasting impression on them.

3 Likes

I saw one on Rift devolve into a massive, hate-filled tirade that sucked in most of the world over an abbreviation lol.

You’re funny.

I never played Rift so I wasn’t even aware that was a thing there, too. Only place I’ve ever heard of it was RuneScape.

Here’s a wall of text explaining Dire Maul!

DM (W / E / N / Tribute) refers to different wings of Dire Maul. Dire Maul is a “max level” (58-60) instance. Some people can and will run Dire Maul earlier than this, but these are the recommended levels for it. All wings of Dire Maul are technically connected and are treated by the game as a single instance, however they are distinctly separated by doors and hallways and treated as individual runs by players. You can enter the instance at various entry points located in the main courtyard of the Dire Maul complex. These entrances are located at the Eastern, Western, and Northern parts of the courtyard, hence the abbreviations DM:W, DM:E, or DM:N. (There is also a “back entrance” into Dire Maul hidden in some old stone ruins in Feralas away from the main complex but this entrance is almost never used.)
The Northern and Western entrances to Dire Maul are behind locked doors. The Crescent key to open these doors comes from first running Dire Maul East, and speaking to a tiny imp just inside the entrance. The imp will lead you on a chase through the instance before eventually fighting your party as a boss encounter.

If they concern particular instances or raids, if you could say what they refer to and if something special is required to do them (other than level of course).

DM tribute is an alternate method of approaching Dire Maul North. It involves sneaking past minibosses that you would normally kill in a standard Dire Maul North run. For each miniboss left alive at the end of the run a piece of high quality gear is added to a reward chest at the end of the instance. The gear from this chest does not drop in a normal dire maul north run.
A tribute run normally has 3 main requirements:

1. A lockpicking rogue, a blacksmith with truesilver skeleton keys, or an engineer with seaforium charges in order to bypass a locked door which is normally opened with a key dropped by one of the minibosses when killed.
  2. Materials to repair a broken frost trap inside the instance. This requires someone to bring with them a thorium widget and a frost oil. Once the trap is repaired a patrolling miniboss will walk into it and be permanently frozen, thus allowing your party to pass by freely.
  3. A gordok ogre suit. This can be crafted via a trapped goblin inside the instance who will ask for 4 bolts of runecloth, 8 rugged leather, 2 rune thread, and 1 ogre tannin. Ogre tannin is found inside the instance in a small basket tucked away in a corner. If you have a tailor or leatherworker with you, the goblin can also teach them to craft the suit on their own at a reduced material cost. The gordok ogre suit is used by one of your party members to disguise themself as an ogre and speak to a miniboss who is blocking the final hallway. They can trick the miniboss into leaving and letting your party pass by.

Once you reach the final boss and his companion, the party will kill King Gordok while keeping his companion Cho’Rush the Observer alive. Once the king is dead, Cho’Rush will stop attacking you and add his “tribute” to your reward chest along with the other minibosses you have left alive. You speak with Mizzle the crafty, who will come running up to the platform after the king has died, and he will declare your party members the new kings of the ogres. This will make all mobs inside the instance friendly to you, summon the tribute chest for your party, and allow you to backtrack and speak to the minibosses that you left alive. One will offer you a quest to complete, and the others will all give you a powerful buff.
These buffs are useful to gain just before heading off to a raid, many raiding guilds will clear a Dire Maul Tribute run just prior to raiding to allow their guild members to come inside and gain these buffs. This is also why you may see people asking in LFG if anyone is “selling” DM buffs or has a cleared tribute instance available.

1 Like

I want to point out another factor in the DM vs VC debate.

DM is an all inclusive term for both the instance and the area surrounding it. VC is simply the end boss of the instance.

Some people go to Deadmines wanting to complete those two undead side quests that come from the Dwarven district.

• Oh Brother
  • Collecting Memories

Many people skip these when they are in a hurry. Some of those people come back later and specifically want to do those quests only. Calling Deadmines “VC” when you don’t want to do the VC run is misleading and confusing. In a similar vein some people want to do the entire thing, both the VC run and the undead side in one run. LFG VC often attracts mostly people who want to skip the undead side.

Furthermore, Pally’s need to do parts of Deadmines that don’t have to include VC. Once again, posting a LFG Pally VC would be misleading. Whereas most people in Westfall, would understand that a LFG Pally DM , would understand the recruiter is looking for a truncated run for the Verigan’s Fist quest line.

Back in the early days there was no Dire Maul, and most LFG activity was done in the local General chat. I don’t think there even was an LFG channel. That came later when we were all more experienced with the game.

Even after Dire Maul came out, when you were in Westfall and saw a LFG DM, you could be pretty certain the person was looking for Deadmines. So there really was no confusion about the two.

Currently we do use a world wide LFG channel. A simple right click on the person’s name will show you their level. If it’s someone in their teens or 20’s it’s not someone looking for Dire Maul who simply forgot to append the wing at the end.
So there is still no need to be confused.