Leveling speed is creating inexperienced max levels and leading to content nerfs as well as toxic endgame

If the leveling experience was more robust rather than just an archaic system meant to inflate the time it takes a player to hit max level, then I think some of your arguments could be considered.

Leveling used to involve quests with deep, well-written lore so you could understand the world and its story, as well as a sprinkle of class-specific quests that helped you understand your class.

However, the current system has chosen a quantity over quality approach. There are so many quests with poor or inconsequential writing. If we had fewer quests and each quest was unique, well-written, and involved more than just killing 10 mobs, then maybe I could see an emphasis being placed back on the leveling experience. Each level should mean something, not just be an arbitrary grind and a means to get talent points.

Also, if people at max level aren’t bothered enough to learn their class, what makes you think these same people are going to learn while leveling under the non-remix system?

I dont think quicker leveling creates players like that, most the quick levelers are people with experience or a million alts. Bad or toxic players are created totally differently, and leveling experience wouldn’t really change that. They need to he taught, guided, regular experience, experince what is accepted behavior, raids, time, not everyone has played since before launch like some of us. But guilds and cominitys can fix that. Blaming fast leveling is a serious cop out. Esp since seasoned, decent, and professional players get irritated with long leveling esp with alts. You want a pointless grind that burns players out and messes up the flow and story play a KR MMO.

2 Likes

Ah man, if you think the fresh 70 alts are bad, wait till you meet the vet 70s.
They, more often than the nubs, suffer from elitism and entitlement.

And this is from someone who will not actually use an ism buzzword unless it’s factually correct.

1 Like

Difficulty skyrockets? Are you jumping from fresh level 70 straight into heroic raiding? The difficulty curve in this game is quite smooth.

Leveling to max → normal dungeons to gain item level for heroics and world bosses for chance at purples (also helps with rotation practice since world bosses don’t die very fast) → heroic and timewalking dungeons on repeat to get item level to comfortable mythic quality → M0 and LFR for 1-2 weeks before moving onto lower keys and/or normal raiding.

And this is assuming you have no guild. Anyone who is invested enough into their character and wants to actually achieve progress in high end content will definitely be in a guild, and will also probably do their own independent research like checking out class guides or Discords.

I do not see it. Feels like complaints from someone that does not actually play the game but treats it like a job. Warbands, from what I have been seeing, is made for those that get enjoyment by just playing the game at a relaxed pace and are not afforded the time to be all elite.

1 Like

I love when moronic people use this expression without having the slightest clue what it means.

In my opinion.

Each new expansion you should be able to level 1-Max.

I think it’s dumb to have players waste their time leveling in old content especially if they’re new and wanting to play with their friends.

I think the game loses more players by forcing people to level old content than the new one.

They should treat each expansion new and old the way old Guild Wars 1 did.

But that is my opinion.

This has more to do with ab individuals goal with the game and willingness to learn/practice. WoW at max level is as much a journey as the leveling experience. One is a simple grind, the other is as complex as the individual is willing to make it.

“Skill Gap” has more to do with an individuals willingness to learn than anything else. Each player may have a different ceiling, but leveling taking longer doesn’t make you more knowledgeable about hard raid and/or mythic plus play.

Honestly it’s all a matter of someone’s opinion, some people will feel fast leveling is bad while others won’t. With my life, I can’t afford to waste a bunch of time on leveling, by time I make max level in vanilla I would have missed out on content. This why both easy, normal and hard modes for raids and dungeons with improved loot for each mode should still be options. I would opt in for easy and normal modes, I would never touch hard mode or beyond hard mode. That’s for the try hard no life’s to enjoy showing off there loot that proves they have no life outside the game. I have no time to learn boss fights or mechanics they need be easy enough to not know or be able to pick up on fast and easy.

I mean. Saying you don’t have the time is one thing, but to then immediately call everyone else as a no life is really stupid.
“This guy is worse than me so he’s a noob, but if you’re better you’re a tryhard no life” is what this is.

I would suggest you go talk to world first raiders and see what their jobs are.
It’s all about time management and expectations. Not hatred and jealousy.

I’ve been playing for 19 years and I can tell you that the game has gotten more complicated and less fun

True fact i have play wow off and on for years and leveling characters i have leveled alot and mostly did raids as a plai off tank. I learned my rotation better at end game know what stats and gear i needed i had to research or have someone tell me what i needed in guilds i would raid with. Leveling to me was alwasy a means to an end. I never paid for boosts barley even used ones given to me for free. But at the end of the day its up to the players to learn end game rotation and mechanics and leveling has nothing to do with it when now people just want to pay to boost instead of actually level.

Thank you. 200% true and accurate.

1 Like

Nobody has to prove anything to you. You aren’t a judge and this isn’t a court of law. You have an opinion and he has an opinion.

Are you familiar with the concept of an opinion? Or do you just think the things that you think are facts and reality?

People like you are why we can’t have nice things.

I’ve been gamin longer than most of you have been alive (got my 1st computer back in 1978) and back then games where both a mix of text and bad graphics. When online RPGs started to become a thing, you would find people that would level characters and then sell them online. You could always tell who knew the character they played because of this.

Even today when your being power leveled you’re not truly learning the character by grinding out the levels. Yes, you can learn the character once the journey is over but are you truly as effective as someone that took the time to learn each ability while leveling.

Every character I play, I level in the end spec that character will be playing endgame content. It allows me to learn its strengths and its weakness’s and it allowed me to become a more effective healer.

Today’s gamer says the journey doesn’t start until endgame. They also just don’t have the time to dedicate to the game like older players as time is money. But that’s my observations which could be wrong by some.

Everyone is concentrated at the endgame and level capped content.
Protracted leveling to cap forces new players to grind through ghost zones and lose interest to another game.
Item level is the new level.

• Brim

I played for three expansions before I first discovered “growl”. I’m not sure slowing me down any further would have helped.

1 Like

Hunter?
I use growl to peel off casters and healers, then reorient the pets back to the tank with the add in tow.

It’s kind of funny to think about, but I’m not sure if WoW or FFXIV is the outlier when it comes to how they approach their leveling content.

WoW’s definitely an express route to the endgame, as that’s where all the “action” is
 but it has come at the expense of all the old content. It’s all a rush to climb whatever ladder Blizz has built for the latest expansion, if not the latest patch/season.

Meanwhile, FFXIV is structured more like a story-driven JRPG - the MMO aspect arguably being tacked on - which places a heavy emphasis on it’s main story quest (MSQ) and the progression through that. Said MSQ is 200-250+ hours of questing content to do with probably 20-25% of that time being cutscenes, punctuated by several mandatory dungeons, trials, solo scenarios, and a handful of LFR-style raids. The story is revered by the community, so taking your time to enjoy it is still recommended.

I mostly bring up FFXIV as a contrast to WoW at this point, as it has a SIGNIFICANTLY longer leveling process that isn’t being disregarded
 but it’s tough to say if it has a huge effect at making “better players”. Still, FFXIV does a decent job of teaching players to evade AoEs; WoW doesn’t do that much as most of the time it’s “attack the thing until it falls over” while leveling.

It’s fair to say the accelerated leveling is not helping WoW at this stage, but not because it’s creating bad players. It’s because it sets the wrong expectations for the endgame, which operates on an entirely different axis than leveling and questing. Even if leveling too longer, players would still be running into a barrier that requires them to approach the endgame with an entirely different mindset than that of leveling.

In my opinion, WoW needs to revisit and rebuild it’s entire leveling experience to be good and be a natural gateway towards whatever it uses for its endgame. Because, right now, leveling and endgame may as well be two separate games.

1 Like

I don’t know if Final Fantasy XIV uses add-ons, but the videos of game play that I have seen definitely makes playing the game seem easier. To be honest don’t know much FFXIV game play, but button bloat and having to rely on add-ons to make World of Warcraft does seem to be a issue.

I do like the story of how FFXIV is presented, but I would only be able to tolerate it a few times. Even WoW, after a few times I can’t stand the story anymore (I memorize everything which is a curse) and I level all my characters mostly on campaign and side quests.