Leveling now or after prepatch?

I know we are unsure about Joyous Journeys and whether or not it will be active during pre patch. Lets assume its going to go away.

Is it worth to take advantage of that and leveling alts who are levels 60-80 right now before pre patch? Should we wait until after pre patch to level in TBC/WOTLK content? Will the xp requirement squish make it faster to level during pre-patch, even with JJ currently active?

EDIT: as stated below THIS IS A PSA. I just got confirmation that from a lvl 72 on pre patch beta, it was less than 700k to level from 72 to 73. This is around 50% less XP than what is currently required to level. Therefore the answer to my original post is:
" IT IS FASTER TO LEVEL AFTER PREPATCH FOR LEVELS 70-80" Its actually DOUBLE the speed it currently is even with JJ active.

I’m leveling now.

:woman_shrugging:

So on current WOTLK lvl 70-71 is 1.5m EXP. On the pre patch its 624k. I am going to level from 70-71 and see if its reduced as well.

1-70 now with JJ for sure. Wrath leveling probably worth doing in pre-patch. But depends. My second priest is 74 rn and probably will be 80 by pre-patch. Trying to enjoy Wrath leveling for the last time.

THIS IS A PSA. I just got confirmation that from a lvl 72 on pre patch beta, it was less than 700k to level from 72 to 73. This is around 50% less XP than what is currently required to level. Therefore the answer to my original post is:
" IT IS FASTER TO LEVEL AFTER PREPATCH FOR LEVELS 70-80" Its actually DOUBLE the speed it currently is even with JJ active.

Apparently XP is cut in half (100% increase) while JJ is only 50% increase. But if JJ stays until May 20 it will be sick

1 Like

Even without lazy journey, cataclysm is probably going to beat it, reduced XP, class buffs, probably some quest nerfs, it’ll blow right through 70-78, and you don’t even need the last 2 levels btw because you can already go to cataclysm zones at this point. Like wrath, there will be 2 starting zones so you have more than enough content at minimum level.

That said, you may want to go ahead and level now since it’s available. The time spent getting them to 80 in cataclysm could have been spent on a new class/race, which isn’t available before then, assuming you want to play one.

Take a look above. Also I wanted to mention, you have to be level 80 to start CATA content. No more can you start 2 levels before.

78 means you have to do both MH and Vashj. I’m planning on leveling in Vashj… not on a first character though xD

Both. I have a druid just starting outland. That’s my closest one to my 3 80’s. Also a Paly just hit 50. Both with looms. could concievably have both in Northrend by prepatch.

So it looks like people are reporting on the PTR that not only are we getting the final patch of cata exp reductions required from 70 to 80 (which was already about a 50% cut), but they are being reduced another 20% or so on top of it with smaller reductions pre-70.

So at least as far as northrend is concerned, prepatch leveling should feel about 20-40% faster than current with joyous journeys.

I hate Vashj’ir. OG Cata I did enough to get seahorse mount and I was out. This time I might actually take one toon through all of Vashj’ir just to experience it.