Leveling is Broken in Patch 10.1.5

The following lines are direct quotes from the 10.1.5 Patch Notes, and after testing each one multiple times, these changes appear to be not working at all or are severely bugged:

• “The maximum level in Chromie Time is now 61 (was level 60).”
  • “Dragonflight, Shadowlands, and Battle for Azeroth dungeon quests are now also available inside their respective dungeons.”

From what I can tell, the only change actual change they’ve made to Chromie Time level scaling involves the World Map. If you hover over zones within Chromie Time, the level range will indicate that it scales up to 61, but this isn’t actually the case. The moment you hit level 60 within Chromie Time the experience stops scaling and reverts to the non-Chromie Time values, making it impossible to continue leveling.

As for the second change, I believe Blizzard TRIED to implement this, but forgot a crucial step that ends up making the entire change redundant. (I also have only tested this for Dragonflight, since Shadowlands/BfA dungeons aren’t exactly relevant for leveling at the moment).

If you enter certain Dragonflight dungeons such as Neltharus or Halls of Infusion, you’ll encounter an NPC which correctly grants you the associated dungeon quest. Uldaman also automatically gives you a quest when you enter the dungeon, but this has always been the case even pre-10.1.5. For all of the 5 other Dragonflight dungeons, this is not the case, and when you enter them on a leveling character you won’t find a single NPC offering a quest. However, when entering the dungeons on max level characters that had already completed the entire campaign, I was able to see the NPCs and pick up the dungeon quests.

What I believe is happening here is that while Blizzard did correctly add the NPCs/quests to the dungeons as stated in their patch notes, they forgot to actually remove the prerequisites associated with each dungeon quest. Since Neltharus/Halls of Infusion never had any prereqs, those quests are now working correctly, but every other dungeon (minus Uldaman) still requires the player to complete certain parts of the campaign before the dungeon quests become available.

Technically speaking this behavior doesn’t contradict the wording in the patch notes, since it only specifies that the quests are “available” within the dungeons, and says nothing about removing the prereqs. However, I believe this is likely unintended since not removing any of the prerequisites effectively defeats the entire purpose of making this change. If you complete the prerequisite quests within campaign/side quests out in the open world of Dragonflight, you’re almost immediately granted the dungeon quest anyways, so it no longer matters if it’s being offered within the dungeon or not. I was under the impression that this change was intended to give players more routing freedom when completing quests, and to help out players who preferred to only level through dungeons. As it stands, this change benefits absolutely nobody.

Lastly, I want to also touch upon a different change that is technically working as intended but also appears to be poorly thought out:

• “Garrison Hearthstone and Dalaran Hearthstone are now toys.”

This change does obviously work correctly, as you’re now able to add both hearthstones to your toy box and save two bag spaces. However, in order to actually use these toys on a new character, you’re still required to finish the WoD/Legion introductions and complete the associated quests which reward the hearthstone item. This isn’t a huge deal, as each questline only takes a few minutes to complete, but removing the prereq quests here would be a small QoL change that I’m sure many players would appreciate. I only bring this up because it seems like a similar problem to the aforementioned dungeon quests, so I think it would be nice if this could also get changed.

To wrap things up, I want to say that I know many of these changes are super minor, and the vast majority of the leveling changes Blizzard made in 10.1.5 were actually implemented correctly. Unfortunately these specific problems have existed ever since the first build of the PTR, and I’ve reported them multiple times to no avail. At this point the patch has been live for over a week and Blizzard doesn’t seem to have noticed the issues yet, so this is the only idea I have left on how to get their attention.

23 Likes

idk why they’d restrict the Dalaran one, but it seems fine to me that if you dont have a garrison you cant hearth to your garrison

11 Likes

I could understand that restriction for the Garrison Hearthstone specifically, but it’s worth noting that it could absolutely still work as a way to teleport to Frostfire Ridge/Shadowmoon Valley. It’s still possible to access those areas without finishing the WoD Intro by using the Dark Portal or Timeless Isle skip, so giving players an easier way to get there and set up their garrison doesn’t seem like a bad thing to me.

9 Likes

I really hope this gets fixed! I was really looking forward to the change to dungeon quests in particular.

3 Likes

Two days later and none of this has been fixed. I really hope this doesn’t end up being another situation where Blizzard waits months to actually make the changes they promised in their patch notes.

2 Likes

Go to the Dragon Isles.

Please tell us how fast Blizzard should be able to implement the “fixes”, or rather changes you want to see. I’m sure your extensive background of computer science and software engineering gives you the exact timeline that these can occur. Fel, I would bet you could do this by yourself with all that knowledge and training you surely have. Obligatory /s.

1 Like

You seem to be missing the point here. The issue isn’t that Blizzard didn’t “change something that I want when I want it”, it’s that they promised a change and have it listed in their patch notes, but it’s not working correctly. The entire point of my post is to raise awareness about something that SHOULD be working, but isn’t due to a bug.

8 Likes

Agreed on this. There’s a good amount of people that enjoy leveling characters and while this is mainly quality of life, it can be disorientating if at 60 your are just kicked out of your area or worse, just stop getting experience. Especially with a feature like this, it’s just expected that this could be easily checked and adjusted (by Blizzard) during the time the PTR was open for this. Blizzard has delayed some parts of this patch until 10.1.7 already, so perhaps they can just update us on the status of this.

4 Likes

Yep this is still not working. Please fix this!

3 Likes

They don’t worry about reported things on PTR.

1 Like

Unfortunately you’re probably right, but that does seem antithetical to the idea of a “Public Test Server”.

5 Likes

Seems like this is still not working. :confused:

If Blizzard isn’t planning on changing this soon, could we atleast get some sort of confirmation that they’re aware of the issue and will be addressing it in a future patch?

3 Likes

I’m a little fuzzy what the issue here is.

My understanding was not that it was intended you’d continue to level to 61 in Chromie Time, just that you would no longer get teleported back unless you reach 61, so you’d be able to complete the whatever story you were on.

I would still expect the exp rewards to fall off a cliff when you hit 60, like they do when you stay behind in an old expansion after a new one is released.

(Is this what’s happening?)

1 Like

They never directly stated their intent, but it surely wouldn’t be this. If you want to finish the story you were on, it was always possible to disable your experience and stay within Chromie Time indefinitely.

The main advantage of Chromie Time extending to 61 is that Heirloom Scaling doesn’t kick up to Dragonflight ilvls until that point. Additionally, Dragonflight consumables/enchants/crafted gear aren’t available until 61. This meant that 60-61 was unnaturally more difficult for leveling characters compared to 61+, leading to a weird speedbump level where your character was powerful at 59, extremely weak at 60, then powerful again at 61.

A simpler fix imo would have been to simply change the scaling/level requirements so that everything works well at 60, but Blizzard instead chose to extend Chromie Time by one level. Regardless, the currently implementation is definitely not working as intended, and it would be nice if Blizzard could give some background on what they want to accomplish with this change.

5 Likes

pulled from the patch notes

" * CHROMIE TIME

• Chromie will now teach you what Chromie Time is, suggest timelines to choose, and share the opening cinematics.

• The maximum level in Chromie Time is now 61 (was level 60).

• Chromie Time expansion restrictions have been removed.“”

see section “quests”
WoW official
https://worldofwarcraft.blizzard.com/en-us/news/23968772/updated-july-11-dragonflight-fractures-in-time-content-update-notes-now-live

WoW Head
https://www.wowhead.com/news/dragonflight-patch-10-1-5-fractures-in-time-patch-notes-333860

4 Likes

Couldnt imagine how miserable it would be trying to catch alts up to speed via leveling. Much less if i hadnt beel playing as long as i have and already had max looms. unless youre just dungeon spamming your way miserably all the way to max (and even then) the Ilvl disparity between the average 61 and 60 is SO HUGE. going through on their word outside of letting looms be boosted a bit would also let levelers pick up Crafted DF gear when they step foot into the new xpac and not uh…spend SO LONG struggling with open world mobs.
Again its not about “wanting” these changes, albeit people do! Its about promising something that just isnt there.

3 Likes

I think we all know what the patch notes say, we just had different interpretations/expectations of what was meant.

( I don’t have strong opinions nor any characters I’m currently leveling, I just want to check if we’re all on the same page as the devs about what this change actually intends to do … and, more importantly to me, whether or not I understand the actual problem the OP encountered )

Thanks for asking. This would be a server-side hotfix to remove the prerequisite quests for accounts that have completed them at least once, no client patch needed. 1 day tops.

4 Likes

I’m glad to see other people agree that these fixes are needed, but unfortunately we’re nearing the two week mark with no word from Blizzard.

3 Likes

Figure I’ll bump this thread since we’re on Week 3 of Patch 10.1.5 with no acknowledgement of these bugs. Does Blizzard just not plan on fixing this stuff?

3 Likes