Leveling in Retail

The richest and most rewarding WoW experience is in Retail. TBC and Classic Era are loads of fun, but they don’t have near the complexity and detail of Retail.

I’m a solo player - it’s what I like. I play for the joy of leveling. I want to quest, to explore, to immerse myself in the game. I avoid dungeons or raids, I rarely group up with others. But sadly, leveling in Retail is so fast that there’s no time to savor the experience.

Fortunately, I have a fix to this dilemma, easily implementable. Blizz should create heirloom gear that reduces the rate at which experience is earned, rather than accelerate it as heirloom gear currently does. I would love to deck my toons out in 25% experience gear and spend months questing throughout the entire WoW Retail universe before reaching level 70.

Please Blizz! Answer my prayers and make Retail into the best leveling experience ever!!

9 Likes

It’s not ideal, but just turn off exp gain now and again so you can finish zones and such without overleveling / being forced out of Chromie time if you’re using it.

PS, Opinion: Classic is a much more engaging leveling experience, even if class design is awful. Even ignoring the speed of both. It’s like the one thing I actually care about Classic for.

6 Likes

JUst do it withoout the heirloom gear and get gear as you quest . It should slow you down a bit

I thought they took away the XP bonus from heirloom gear

3 Likes

Given that Heirloom Gear basically only affects Rested EXP now, it’s really not any different than not using Heirlooms if you’re actively playing the alt.

I actually think that’d be fun to have a set of cursed gear that makes you worse. Less exp, lower stats, less mobility, you take more damage. An heirloom anti-gear set that only exists to nerf you. It’d be cool!

Turning the experience off is the best solution for the experience you are looking for. It will allow you to still complete quests and enjoy the adventuring at the appropriate levels with a degree of difficulty.
It would also give you enough time in the zone to sort of BiS yourself until you move on to the next zone if you wish to do so.

Tie this to an achievement and some title, and you got a great idea. Maybe it’s a 5 piece set.

1 Like

Level 70? Anyway I’m all for an xp throttle if you want to make leveling last longer.

New player here, and I was definitely surprised by how short the road to cap was. I do mostly solo PvE content myself, and it was strange to lose that exp incentive so quickly.

I like the variety of stories in Classic, but it had sixty levels to work with so it’s to be expected.

Since I only started WoW in 2015, I greatly appreciated the view of what I missed that was granted by WoW Classic.

Beyond that, I read advice that we should treat Classic as a sandbox game. And just work on quests and developing weapon/profession skills. And let the levels come when they may. (That said, I appreciated Shaman Ghost Wolf and Reincarnate saving huge amounts of time running around. :)) Treating classic like a sandbox game takes off a huge amount of pressure while checking out the first glimmers of future expansions.

I also had immersion classic add-on for talkey-head big text dialog and quest boxes so I could read all the stuff comfortably. And maybe tomtom and classic codex add-on for a little more QOL. Still having to sit behind a tree putting raid markers on bands of gnolls before attacking… Good stuff.

Now retail levelling is still fun, but it’s all about mowing a lawn full of trash to level. It’s nice for getting revenge against whatever zones you struggled in on te classic side though. Dinging level 30 and flying your warframe around to place the last Seaforium charges in Render’s Valley is priceless.

I didn’t miss dailies or world quests or infinity grinds in classic. If anything, the lack of those made Classic feel more like a Game where Retail had drifted into feeling like a Job.

They should add XP nerf potions to the DMF.

Maybe something like 25%, 50% and 75% reductions so people can level at a pace they like.

They’ve addressed recently chromie time having issues and they want to change the way people level

No matter what they do, people will still complain a lot. A lot of the playerbasw wants to level fast, but not 5 hours fast. Finding that middle ground will be a huge thing.

That’s actually awesome. Gear that lowers xp gain. I love it.

1 Like

Well heirlooms no longer give bonus exp……

1 Like

I know you’re kidding, but I actually turned off battle pet icons on my minimap and skipped pet battling while levelling my latest toon so I wouldn’t outlevel westfall/redridge before I finished blowing up render’s valley. (Actually switching heirloom bonus from 50% on everything to 200% on kills only for 3x longer might’ve nerfed the advantage of incessant pet battling a bit.)

1 Like

They should allow players to turn it off while questing, if they like imo, instead of having to go to a city to some npc to turn it off, and on. A harmless qol feature.

3 Likes

I have a plan that will work well for you.

• Level where you want till 45
  • Pause xp
  • Go Chromie time (TBC).
  • TBC dungeon gear till you get double slot and put those bad boy +4 stones in them.
    -You’ll be strong even though content is scaled
    -Enjoy until you complete all the content. <3

Unpause after and emerge - a hero.

2 Likes

It’s not that, it’s just there is barely any challenge or progression. I leveled an alt recently out of curiosity and my entire motivation was fueled solely by the Pawn addon that showed how much stronger gear upgrades were percentage wise. Because otherwise I wouldn’t even feel gear upgrades. Everything is scaled.

There is no forward momentum except the character level.