🔴 Level Squish Questionnaire going out

I’m both interested but also very afraid.

The risk of creating issues that prevent us from running old content as smoothly as we do now is something that concerns me. Not saying we won’t be able to, but I really don’t want to suddenly find myself struggling to complete old raids with my lower levels(e.g. my 100 druid can no longer smoothly clear heroic firelands because of squish)

If this is something they plan on going forward with, I hope Ion and company will be as transparent as possible throughout the development.

1 Like

Personally, i would prefer to have no levels. you get stronger as you do more things.

quest for 100 hours gets a certain strength, can kill more stuff. dungeon for 100 hours gets a certain strength.

all enemies get a skull, a pair of swords or a pie for difficulty level. enemies of each type in every zone.

I absoloutely freekin love this idea.

1 Like

It seems odd that there would be a question asking if people are aware of something never announced and then goes on to ask what they think of the idea.

3 Likes

When Ion ‘floats’ ideas like that he has already made up his mind they are going to do it anyway. It shouldn’t come to anyone as a surprise since he doesn’t understand a thing about people wanting to play for character progression.

10 Likes

There is already a thread about this:

Not satisfied with merely pruning abilities, features and progression systems, Blizzard now wants to prune the levels we had earned previously. Blizzard seems to think that a level squish would “fix” the lack of meaningful character progression in the game.

It won’t.

Even with 60 levels, there aren’t enough talents and abilities spread out enough in current spec design to make character progression feel meaningful. Too many RPG elements have been removed from the game over the years to make that possible. And like the item level squish, they’ll just be back in this boat in a few expansions.

The fundamental, underlying systems are broken. It doesn’t matter if there are 20, 60, 100 or 130 levels - not a single one of those levels feels like it actually improves your character. The game is designed around reaching level cap to do current content now - THAT is a bigger issue.

The only way to fix character progression is to go back to the underlying system and redesign it, taking the best elements from the origins of the game (where meaningful character progression existed) and revamping what a class is. For example, modern WoW is spec-focused to the point where every spec is really a different class - your “class” choice really only determines which specs you’ll be able to play. When a Paladin was a Paladin, and could tank, or heal, or DPS, and swap dynamically in a pinch even mid-combat (imagine a M+ where your tank dies during a pull - the paladin swaps in a shield, taunts, and backfills that role - that brings meaningful utility to a class).

Character power progression is meaningless. As a result, levels are meaningless. Much like the item level squish (item design needed a full revamp, not just a reduction on a bell-curve stat allocation - it’s so bloody lazy), all this does is remove a sense of progression and achievement from players (you’re taking away something I already earned) - UNLESS it is accompanied by something much more meaningful.

11 Likes

They probably have an announcement scheduled to go out soon, but due to miscommunication between departments accidentally sent the questionnaire out earlier than intended.

2 Likes

That isn’t a level squish that is expanding zone scaling from what it currently is and I hate that idea.

1 Like

Seriously, this guy is the bane of World of Warcraft. He’s done more harm to this game and franchise than anybody else by a long shot.

It’s not even the decisions he makes, it’s that he’s a dishonest on top of it.

10 Likes

WOD and Legion is what I can’t stand. Disclaimer, Legion content is actually very good on the whole, I’ve just done it way too much the past year or two and tired of it. This is why CHOICE is good!

That’s very true, but we don’t know what else they plan to bring along with the squish. Squishing to 60 would make it significantly easier to rework specs for meaningful progression – they’d only have to worry about 60 levels’ worth of talents and abilities instead of 130 levels’ worth.

oh how misinformed and unaware you are… the real reason why Recruit-A-Friend is on haitus, is due to the exploits players have discovered they can do with it, even on free accounts.

One of those exploits for example, allowed players in 2019 on current build 8.1.5 to access the long blocked off holy grail of exploration, the long locked away GM Island and even the fabled Interrogation room, amongst other areas in-game players shouldn’t be able to access normally, the most broken being utilizing the exploit to bypass encounters i.e. boss skips, and generally just go where you’re not suppose to be yet, beyond the ocean fatigue lines into hidden development areas, etc, and even beyond the literal terrain world map edge and even under it into the endless grey void (i’d imagine not healthy for the server/game to be in a location/position that shouldn’t be possible and wasn’t designed/coded for)

1 Like

Ion mentioned in a Q&A at Blizzcon that he liked the idea someone in the audience mentioned about it. He said he wanted to know what the players thought of it. I guess this is that time, although saying “upcoming” really throws a wrench into it.

I didn’t receive the survey, but I am down for a level squish. Being 60 was fun. Being 120 just seems like a big number for the sake of big number.

1 Like

is one of the questions “Should we release 8.2?”

I have no faith that they intend to do anything other than squish levels and keep character design the way it currently is, until proven otherwise. Recent history has shown us that they see squishes as a way to bandaid problems, not fix them.

5 Likes

but how is it any different and how is 120 a “big” number?

5 Likes

There seems to be a disconnect.

The number might shrink, but there’s no way the speed at which you reach the new cap would improve.

4 Likes

i don’t think a lv squish will change the leveling that much

They make sure to people take the same amount of time to go from 1-60 like we do to 120

tbh would help a bit, its frustrating up 40 lvs and get like what, 1-2 skills

of course its not helping the pruning, but hey…

This makes me angry, like really angry.

I want to keep my levels, my progress, my strongness over old content, and most importantly no level scaling.

This would be the nail in the coffin for me. LVL scaling and Ilvl scaling took away a ton of ‘progression’ for me.

This will destroy the game, i have stood by a lot blizzard have done that I hated but I will not stand by this.

19 Likes