Let's talk about Moonkin

Many people on this forum will just state that Moonkins are useless and don’t roll one because it won’t be fair on the other 39 people…yadda,yadda,yadda. Don’t worry you won’t be playing with them anyway. Classic is very different to retail, you don’t have to be on the bleeding edge of everything. It’s ok if you never set foot in AQ40 or Naxx, the main point is to have fun. Let them be in their super optimized raid group, they’ll have their version of fun and you’ll have yours. There’s no reason you can’t have fun raiding MC,ONY,BWL,ZG,AQ20 and even AQ40.

Play a Moonkin because you enjoy it. Spend time being the best Moonkin you can be and people will be more than willing to group up with you. That being said, there are limitations to every class and specialization, and Moonkin is certainly no exception.

Let’s begin with the elephant in the room, OOMkin. The main reason Moonkins are not widely used are due to their mana management issues. A class that cannot have mana until the end of the fight, can’t dps till the end of the fight. Not good when you’re only useful for the first few minutes. From what i’ve seen this is the number one issue with Balance Druids. So how do we solve this?

First we need to start off with the right talents. Druids have talents to reduce the mana cost of their spells and to increase their mana regeneration. Omen of clarity may look like a good choice but sadly you need to be physically hitting a target for it to trigger. Hopefully we won’t get to the point of having to melee a mob.

Moonglow: Reduces the mana cost of all your main DPS and healing spells by 9%
Reflection: Allows 15% of your mana regeneration to continue while casting.

Reflection, an interesting talent. But what if we could double it? You can. Stormrage tier 2, but isn’t that healing gear? Let’s not beat around the bush, it is. But the 3 piece set bonus also “Allows 15% of your mana regeneration to continue while casting.” Already we’re up to 30% mana regeneration while casting. If you take the lowest stat allocation pieces then there wont be that much hamper on your damage. You may not hit as hard as your possibly could but you’ll be able to hit longer.

Know how to gear! Spirit is your friend! There are many DPS pieces (mainly cloth items) with spirit. You want to gear for the most damage possible but also acquire pieces with spirit on them.

Looking at the Molten Core drop table, there are items like this. (phase 1 gear)

Neck: [Choker of Enlightenment]
Chest: [Robe of Volatile Power]
Weapon: [Robe of Volatile Power]

To name a few.
Items such as [Band of Sulfuras] are also helpful. Even though they do not have spell damage on them they’re still good.

Druids gain an additional 100% critical strike damage bonus through the Vengeance talent. Don’t be afraid to focus more on spirit and crit after getting your hit cap than raw spell damage. A majority of your gear will have it anyways. Not to mention critical hits reduce the cast time on your nest spell by 0.5 seconds.

Farm your consumables! Come to raids prepared! Mana pots, Mana regen elixirs and demonic runes ( when they become available).

Classic is meant to be fun, so have it! Don’t let your dreams be dreams, just do it.
There’s way too much negativity already and classic hasn’t even been released yet.

Even though i’ll be maining a paladin, i’d like to give this a shot. Anyone else thinking of trying to make balance work? Anyone have any thoughts?

19 Likes

TLDR:

20 Likes

Insert thumbs up meme kid here. Pixels not included.

2 Likes

ALAMOES COMPLEET DURID INSTURCKSHUN

OK LISSEN Almo noes about sum durid things sinse the baginning. Maybe B4 durids was week & stuff but now Durids is very storng.

1. OK, Sum durids is bare

2. Tehm whos bare durids, can B 4 tank:

ONLY DURID DONT HAF SUM PEEPS IN THE HEAD AND A GUNZ LOL!

1. Man, sum bare druids can maek sum peeps poop in feer bc/ tehms so storng.

2. Bare druids is not so good at uh moonfare spam but its OK b/c a bare durid haf many armors &

when a thing hits durid, maybe thing gets borken hand LOL!

1. Bare durids is 4 funs when u can charje & stun & haf sum armors lol.

OK LISSEN Also durid haf uh seel form.

1. Seel is can fite, but is kind week.
  2. Seel for swim, is fast & dont breeth
  3. When seel is gone for fish, is nobody will catch.
  4. Seel is can teech frends how is swim

ALSO I FORGETS

Durid has can run fast form is TRAVEL FORM

1. looks liek cheetuh
  2. dont cheet or u get bann LOL! JK!!
  3. Cheetuh can run fast and him is can run away frum trubul.

AND ASLO

SUM DURIDS IS MOON KIN

1) Them 1s is look all funny liek maybe form MOON! LOL!
2) mostly uh moonkin is 4 a spam moonfare
3) them haf sum good armors & fite storng.

DURIDS IS VEERY FAST AND STORNG IN PVP CAN CAST ROOT 4 MAKE PEEPS STOP WHEN MOVE!!

bc Peeps can always ask if cat druid can B GOOD FOR FITE OR WHAT MAYBE?

U NO CAT DURIDS IS VERY STORNG! SUM PEEPS DUNNO Y SO HEAR IS LIST

1. OK now sum durid is cat

2. Cat durid, tehm dosent heel.

3. Cat uis for fite

4. Cat durid dosent talk about fite

5. when cat durid is FITE do not ask for HEEL and NINIRVATE!

and CAT DURIDS is no spam moonfare! Sum cat durids dosent no wut is uh moonfare!

DURIDS IS MUST ALWAYZ HALP EECH OTHER:
sumtimes a new durid is need sum halp and advise frum a good durid so u shuld alway halp unother

Even I lernd all this form DURID SCKOLL who has wut uh famus teecher there who is knows all this:

DRUIDTEECHER
DURIDS IS HARD, & BUT STRONG

SUM PEEPLE THINK DURIDS IS CANT BE BARE AND CAN ONLY HEEL AND THEM DOSENT

NO THEY IS ALWAYS CAN SAY:

BUT ONLY DONT LISSEN TO THEM.

Durids is storng for bare or cat or seel or whatver and u dosent haf 2 heel if u dont liek heel

*********DURIDS IS 4 haf FUN TIME WIT FRENS every1 is like a fun time durid!!

Alamoe, 14 year’s later spreading the Durid <3

Druids should always help eachother.

26 Likes

Is there a pathway to crit and spirit instead of spell damage and spirit?

They have a unique buff, I would want at least 1 in my raid. The 3% increased spell crit for 40 players would more then offset the lower dps of just 1 moonkin.

That’s how buffs worked in Classic, those what deal lower dps generally increase everyone elses dps to make up for it.

4 Likes

I will love one as a paladin. 3% extra crit to 4 paladins equals a lot more healing.

2 Likes

Balance druids can be a terror in PvP. I think most of the time you get NS instead of moonkin form though. I’m not sure if that still counts.

Hate to break it to ya but it’s only party-wide in vanilla.

11 Likes

You’re correct, basically like how shamans do it.

Bare Drood stole my girl

2 Likes

No one ever said you “can’t” raid as one. The point is that they are inferior to warlocks/mages, and slotting one is a loss for your raid. But if you want to struggle to find a guild that’s going to take you, just so you can play an inferior class, then by all means.

4 Likes

LEts not…

Lot’s of people have said this but yes, i agree with you.

All those Mages and locks can’t snap to healing on a dime though, or battle rez etc :smile:

No, no,no… Let’s do.

3 Likes

My main will be a Balance Druid. I realize it’ll be tough at times, but I’ll enjoy the rp aspect of it and playing the character. If I can get into some raids alright, cool, but if not oh well. There’s so much to do in WoW Classic, I won’t be starved for things to mess around on.

9 Likes

Have fun!!

I’m sure it will be a “hoot”

9 Likes

Only buffed in your group, so a total of 4 other players get the buff

The real question is: Will classic Boomkins have the roar again?

As long as they always and forever have the dance, that’s good enough for me.

3 Likes

Watch out, girls like bad boys… moonkins will do more damage when they innervate themselves.