Let monks use their weapons

Per the Hema rules themselves.

HEMA Sparring

HEMA Sparring Swords are designed to be used for HEMA combat (specifically full contact sparring). They typically feature 2mm (approx.) edges and rolled or fattened tips designed to spread the impact of a thrust. Rapiers, feders and (some) sabres also feature flexible blades that are designed to bend upon impact when thrusting. They tend not to be historically accurate but are a good compromise between historical design and their required function. These features are very specific to HEMA “Sparring” swords. HEMA encompasses sparring, drilling and test cutting. In general, any sword that is suitable for Living History, Battle Re-enactment or Stage Combat will be suitable for most HEMA drilling exercises. But flexible blades with fattened tips are a must for sparring.

Swords must be made flexible and blunt (Not Live Blades) for hema sparring. I get that you watched a highlight video and think you are now an expert. The fact is Hema is a joke and right up there with professional wrestling.

**And stop telling people to not post in a forum just because their opinion is different then yours. And especially when their opinion so far has proven more correct then the nonsense you’re posting.

3 Likes

What nonsense have I posted? Did you even read the whole comment string? He said no monks in history ever used weapons. I gave an example of some that did. He said no martial arts uses real weapons. I gave an example of one that does. He said HEMA is 100% choreographed and all foam swords and just LARPing. I posted a video showing that is blatantly false.

I don’t consider myself a HEMA expert by any means, but my experience with it certainly goes far, far beyond watching videos on youtube. I chose that one specifically because it’s simple and short and shows specifically that it’s not choreographed with foam swords. I also am well aware that weapons must be blunt. But as I pointed out, the hits are real because most “damage” in HEMA comes from the transfer of kinetic energy to the target, not rending flesh. This has been true all throughout history, not just in modern day “larping” as you people like to call it.

1 Like

Seems it is your reading comprehension that is lacking.

Slade said Wow Monks punch and kick dragons. Then said “No one in the martials arts world fights with live weapons.” Which is a fact they don’t. “Live Weapons” mean it is combat ready. It will kill. Anything blunted, softened, or changed to be less than lethal is considered a “Dead” weapon and that is what is used in training world wide.

Slade said they spar with foam and blunted weapons not live weapons in hema. Which is also a fact. Hema doesn’t use live weapons. No one uses live weapons.

And hema is a bunch of larp’ers. Seriously the dudes “Knight” each other like it’s medieval times. Their clubs even make up coats of arms and then require people joining their clubs to swear oaths of honor. It’s larp.

And this is a monk thread Hema belongs in more a Warrior/Pally/DK thread anyway since most train for plate armor fighting.

And lets not forget the official Rules from the official Hema sight even say the weapons are fake. They have to be flexible (bend so the blunt force will never happen) and blunted (so cutting/ maiming will never happen). They even take it further to require spring steel used in their making. That is the flexible stuff you see in movies so actors can’t actually hurt each other.

The video you posted isn’t even Hema. It’s from Russia’s world combat games. A event held every year to feature Sambo, Kyokushin Karate, Savate, and Russian traditional sword fighting which is also done with blunt weapons because again, NO ONE uses Live weapons in sparring.

Now let’s get this back on topic. You can go back and reread without your bias making you see stuff that was never said by other people. Stop telling people to hurt themselves (you did say he should inflict harm on himself because he disagreed with you. “Slap yourself for me” is your exact quote) and not to post here anymore.

Monks being traditional hand to hand martial arts masters in this game should stay hand to hand. The entire lore is based upon this fact.

Example: Bare-knuckle brawlers whos no-weapon style were born in ancient Pandaria.

Example 2: Restricted from using weapons by their slave masters, these pandaren instead focused on harnessing their chi and learning weaponless combat.

Example 3: Whatever their combat role, monks rely on their hands and feet to do the talking, and on strong connection with their inner chi to power their abilities

If you want something different then speak as to why, instead of just spouting nonsense.

3 Likes

Bro…I wasn’t even talking about WoW, my original reply was to him saying no monks in history ever used real weapons. That’s it. And that is just factually incorrect. I assumed he was talking about real life and not the game because he spouted a bunch of stuff about owning a bunch of Dojos and living in Tokyo. I don’t want monks in game to use real weapons at all. When I said HEMA I didn’t mean the official HEMA organization I just meant there are people who practice with real weapons in safe environments, I know they don’t use live weapons I never said they did. Not everyone who practices HEMA goes full in on the cringe larping. Those people exist, yes, but they are actually not the majority and they definitely don’t represent all of us. For me personally it’s a way to help keep me in better shape than I would be, meet likeminded people to hang out with, and be more actively engaged with the history I find intriguing. I have never once been knighted or dressed up or larped. He also claimed it was all choreographed katas, which it just blatantly isn’t. There are forms and flourishes but they’re for teaching beginners weapon handling and building arm strength. No sparring is choreographed unless it’s to teach someone countering but that’s not really sparring at that point.

Me telling him to slap himself was just a juvenile joke, I didn’t mean he should actually harm himself. Slade if you’re reading this I apologize.

1 Like

I wanna use weapons as a monk! Panda Weapon animations are freaking amazing! I’ve also made this very same thread about 4 other times :frowning:

I wanna use my Warglaives! Make all the DHs jelly.

:panda_face:

3 Likes

Again, your reading comprehension is failing you because of your limbic drive. AKA you need to reread and stop just answering to answer because your wrong.

First this is wow thread about wow monks, Slade replied talking about wow monks, where else can you punch and kick dragons. Seriously go back and read to understand, not read to reply.

Second he never says Tokyo, he says Japan, which is a major country and includes 100’s of Islands. Stop reading things that are not there.

Third just because your Hema is not larp doesn’t mean most are not. In fact most are 100% larpers. Every college group of Hema kids is always mixed with heavy larping.

Fourth you finally admit no one uses Live Weapons. Well at least that part is over. Slade said no one uses “Live” weapons and you have finally agreed.

Fifth you say Hema doesn’t do Kata but then you 100% describe them doing kata with forms and flourishes. Let me help a Kata is a preset of moves to practice a drill… aka a form/flourish. Maybe you said this because your ignorant and don’t understand what kata is or maybe your again just reading enough to get enraged and reply with nonsense.

But good move on the apologizing because if Slade chose to report you I am sure you’d get a forum vacation for that.

3 Likes

He was the first person to bring up monks in real life. I was pointing out that that’s a dumb argument because there have been monks in real life that used weapons. Also he said Okinawa, I could have sworn he said Tokyo but I originally read it several days ago. Your anecdotal evidence about college clubs doesn’t mean much. Your personal experience doesn’t speak for the entire HEMA community, just as mine doesn’t, which is why I admitted there are people that do get heavily into that stuff. Once again let me repeat myself: I never said people use live weapons. Lastly, I know what katas are, and my original statement was a rebuttal to him saying HEMA is ALL choreography and katas.

Oh yeah and quit it with the passive aggressive limbic drive crap. You’re projecting.

2 Likes

As you keep reading things that are not there… yup it must be me projecting…

And Valithar was the person who brought up “Real Life Monks” first. 7th post in this thread.

And Slade doesn’t say Hema is only kata he says they spar with foam AND BLUNT weapons aka not live, but he clearly says they do spar… just with fake weapons.

And you do say " the point is it’s a real sword and the hits are real" which is clearly false. No one uses real aka live weapons.

3 Likes

And you’re not reading things that are there, lol. How do you type out long essays complete with multiple links and paragraphs then accuse me of replying emotionally? That’s gonna be a hearty kek and a yikes from me dawg. Thread muted. Bye.

Well I mean intellectual conversations are only had with evidence, which links must provided for evidence…

So I engage in intellectual conversation with evidence to back up my stance and you go on about things that no one actually said, but you felt like they said it, so it must be true because feelings…

2 Likes

Bumping this rather than making a new thread

It’s not the same. Rogue is a whole different concept and it’s not just agility+kick=class.

Giving Monk the ability to turn even some attacks (Blackout Kick and rising sun kick being the most likely) into weapons-based attacks would make them far more attractive to people who don’t want to punch dragons.

And again, it’s more than “then play Rogue.” A monk isn’t a rogue - weapons.

2 Likes

I disagree, both are high dodge high agility leather classes. The only thing making them different is monks punch dragons in the face.

You want swords go combat rogue, you want daggers go sub or assassins. If you want weapons go rogue.

The entire story and lore and gameplay of monk is built around us being hand to hand fighters. So you want to be hand to hand then only one class does that…MONK

I dont. I want to hit things with a staff empowered with chi. Id like to stagger. Id like to be a Brewmaster.

4 Likes

You just answered your own question… You don’t want hand to hand, so you don’t want monk.

Anything else is kinda moot now. You truly don’t want to be a monk.

I hope this is a troll, and not you thinking your opinions are facts.

2 Likes

Factually monks in wow are hand to hand… Not really seeing any opinion.

Factually monk lore is completely based on monks being only hand to hand.

Restricted from using weapons by their slave masters, these pandaren instead focused on harnessing their chi and learning weaponless combat.”

Fact you said you don’t want hand to hand.

Where is the opinion?

So how do you address that Blackout Kick had previously been Blackout Strike for Brewmasters?

You’ll note that Monks are no longer slaves.

It was only like that in legion and blizzard devs said it did not fit monk lore, they only did it for the artifact.

Since it did not fit monk lore it was removed as soon as legion was over.

And their status of slave or not slave doesn’t mean they will change their entire identity of being " bare-knuckle brawlers. "

That’s not right. I didn’t play in Legion and I had Blackout strike.

They didn’t use weapons because they couldn’t. Now that they can’t, they still don’t? I don’t know that seems a bit absurd.

Blackout strike added legion

Removed BFA

Again just facts. Still trying to find all this opinion you keep accusing me of?

So far the only opinion I am seeing your opinion of wanting to fundamentally change an entire class into the one thing it’s entire lore says it is not.

**At the end though your opinion is your opinion and while it goes 100% against what monk lore says they are, it is still your opinion to have. I will not be able to change that. Your mind is made up. I just hope Blizzard does not listen and changes the one class that I love into something it’s lore completely says it is not. It would honestly ruin monk for me and a lot of hand to hand experts that love monk the way it is.