Less dmg when everyone has full verse is not true

i keep reading on this forum since before shadowlands came out. everyone says when everyone is full verse dmg will go down.

2% verse = 2% dmg, 1% less dmg

am i missing something here?

people are saying it about df beta now.

4 Likes

1 Like

are you the forum wizard?

Oh yea people coping with beta problems being solved by expansion release are legit smoking the good stuff.

Guys, tuning hasnt even started, they’re still making spec changes every week

1 Like

You are missing the fact that at a certain ilvl there’s only so much stat allocation allowed and if you are wearing full versa/haste gear instead full mastery/haste you WILL be taking less damage and WILL be doing more healing. So sure versatility as a standalone state offers more damage than damage reduction, but that is a completely illogical way to look at it.

Yea but current numbers on beta are astronomically broken. Like 100-0 one shots without setup. I’d say enjoy pve for a bit and casually pvp till a tuning pass

That doesn’t really have anything to do with what I said though. Sure ptr/beta numbers are completely out of whack right now, but the OP was referring specifically to how versatility reduces damage taken when the stat itself offers damage to damage reduction at a 2:1 ratio. That is what I addressed. Overall tuning of damage is a completely separate discussion.

are you saying that at 2% verse you get +2% healing so that is what makes verse worth more than the 2:1 dmg to dmg reduction ratio?

No the healing is a small but often overlooked part of how versatility helps. I am mainly focusing on stat budget at a given item level and how no other secondary stat reduces damage taken (barring some mastery interactions) other than versatility. If you take your gear on ptr/beta with no versatility and swap it out for versatility gear you will be taking less damage than had you not.

but you would be taking 2x more dmg than the dmg reduction.

10% crit 10% haste 10% mastery = 0% dmg reduc

30% versa = 15% dmg reduc

oh how much % dmg is that?

1% crit 1% haste 1% mastery = ? dmg

Yep like I said you are focusing on the stat in a vacuum. Look at the whole picture.

For example:

• With full haste/mastery gear players do 100 damage and receive 100 damage.
  • With full versa/mastery gear players do 100 damage and receive 75 damage.

These numbers are totally made up on the spot just to illustrate the point so don’t focus on them. The important thing to notice is how versatility does reduce damage taken when you look at the whole picture.

crit haste n mastery typically outdamage versa, so when people are in no vers not only are they missing % dmg reduction, but they’re doing a significant amount more for having raw offstat

2 Likes

but a fire mage would have crit and mastery, which dont do a lot

i have a feeling you specifically picked fire mage because it wants haste vers even in pve

think of most classes

1 Like

i also play a fire mage is why i picked it. ive only done stuff like a lfr on it so idk about pve.

i guess crit and haste on this monk. idk how high you can stack those and i think id rather have the +healing from verse but im not that good.

i dont know as much about the game as you and used one of the few examples that i know of.

i guess ill have to take the word from a better player that “typically” verse dmg reduction makes the game less bursty. i just dont know what classes, when and how.

thank you for my learning opportunity.

1 Like

Versatility has never been a good PvP stat because it increases damage more than it reduces damage taken.

It’s better than the other stats but I’d rather have resilience back

1 Like

Do people making conclusions about DF PVP not understand that

A) Many classes (such as DH) have insane bugs causing them to do 2-5x more damage than they would otherwise be doing normally,

and B) nothing even slightly or remotely resembling tuning has taken place?

Going “Zomg df pvp is so 1shotty like slands expansion is doomed” seems like a bit of a smoothbrained take atm.

2 Likes