Leeway was in Vanilla but (Latency had a part)

Poster asked what front stabbing was and I told him.
I said nothing about whether or not it was in vanilla.

I played combat rogue myself.

Ah, didn’t mean no malice by the reply. I couldn’t do combat, tried it for a short bit. Stealthing around, cheap shotting, and backstabbing all made it feel more like a Rogue.

Ew backstab build for leveling. Gross. If I’m not going combat its Full Ambush build. 2-3 hits and the mob is dead rinse, repeat.

Its been years, I’m sure I threw some ambushes in there. Ambush - > gouge -> see where it goes. If the Ambush crit, probably Evisc. If not, run around, backstab, evisc, or if post KS, kidney then BS. They died quickly either way.

Combat is just more time efficient.

I am with you… I was combat until I fiddled with specs. Man nothing makes you feel like a rogue more than using your whole toolkit.

Not sure what I’ll be doing in classic. Most likely rogue but unsure if combat or something else…

You mean videos of how that works on private servers.

1 Like

The only surviving video from Vanilla is Leeroy Jenkins. Everything else is from TBC-onwards or pservers.

Leeway was programmed INTO the game to combat server lag due to technological issues of 2004…

Rogues using Backstab from the front was using server lag due to technological issues of 2004…

To argue FOR one and not the other is a dash of hypocrisy… in case you cannot tell I am using sarcasm to prove a point… leeway in Classic WILL NOT work the way it did in 2004-2006 because of the advancements in technology…

Therefore it needs to be fixed or removed… that is the point…

2 Likes

Funny how Blizzard’s own data suggests people today are actually having more latency issues than they did back then…

Um… read it again… they said less lag… thus we will notice leeway more…

I made that mistake too… its cool

Really? They said less, not more?

Huh.

I guess the heat and humidity DID boil my brain today. Oof.

Oh I made the reading error and went hard… pulling out technological advances and proving what they said… we have less lag today… easy misread…

But that is still my point… leaving in game play mechanics that were put in the game or used as game play because of technological limitations of the time … will literally change the game for MOST players because MOST people playing WoW in 2004-2006 had crappy internet connections… This means that the game will PLAY differently… a literal change because of the obsession with #nochanges

2 Likes

What was your average latency?

Not exactly, Warcraftmovies.com show upload dates from back in vanilla since it was the most popular site for vanilla videos back then. It was before youtube became a thing.

This is the kind of go get 'em attitude that deserves hearts.

I honestly misread this and thought it said, Leeroy was in vanilla. I was not happy when i clicked and started reading. Thought it was going to be some dank story or something.

Except, you know, the part where it was a 2.6666667 yard range, hard-coded into the client.

Checks are always done server side. Client side is user-facing - for the UI. Don’t forget to add that info, Mr. Reddit. Can you imagine how easy it would be to exploit a client side check? Blizzard could - especially when it happened in early Vanilla so checks, damage rolls, etc were made server side.

It was also added in 1.10 and not found anywhere mining 1.9 or earlier. So for a majority of WoW’s life and the lives of players - nobody experienced it.

But let’s not pretend you would have written any of that had it supported your argument.

Go back to Reddit.

3 Likes

can’t they just provide a comparison video from the reference client and put all this to bed?

Irrelevant, Classic is 1.12.