Leeway here to stay

17"??? woah calm down big boy! We’re 15" crts in these here parts!

Says you. To me, that’s working exactly like Leeway. While moving, reaching out to hit someone who is out of melee range. Max apparent distance is a factor of latency.

Yep, that’s what I was thinking when people tell me they want it to be the same as it was. They need to jump on their old computer systems and internet connections lol.

Your strawman is bad and you should feel bad

1 Like

“Classic should be an experience exact replica and Blizzard should make changes to authentic mechanics to adjust for modern hardware and network improvements.”

“Of course I won’t do anything to help replicate that exact experience I’m asking Blizzard to recreate. Why would I do anything on my end to accomplish that!”

How hunters are gonna fight melee ? If melee can outrange theirs traps by using leeway like here :

They are fighting with at trap between them, the war don’t even need to pass or get round it to hit him…

2 Likes

Oh man, I’ve been away from the forums for a bit since I got tired of replying to the same old tired arguments. Nobody was making threads about anything new. I’m so sad I missed the start of this thread. Glorious vindication for the “Authenticity before all else” crowd.

1. Props for Blizzard for indirectly calling out “Leeway” as a garbage non-descriptive term for it and providing proper clarity with “Melee Leeway”. I’ve been harping on that since the start. It’d be the same as screeching about “Spell Batching” by simply calling it “Batching”. Kudos, Blizzard.

2. Once again, authentic Classic WoW circa 2006 wins again. Even more props to Blizzard for doubling down on staying true to making things authentic wherever deemed possible. Classic WoW is going to be super authentic and it’s going to be glorious.

2 Likes

Preach on, brother. Preach on. As long as they stay true to their vision, this is my game for the next few years, minimum.

Still don’t think people are understanding the point. Leeway existed in vanilla, that has been addressed, reviewed, and Blizz confirmed.

The issue is that Blizz is stating the current leeway mechanic is “working as intended” and it is not. If you want some better context on how it is not I’d reference the following video post at 7min mark:

I don’t think people should be debating the existence, but instead be considering that the leeway functionality both from a spell and melee perspective is not behaving correctly as it did in vanilla.

Has also been Blizz confirmed to be working properly.

Thus the reason people are bringing this up as a point of debate. The base leeway distance component is proven to be valid, but how it is triggering in motion mechanics and how it is not being cut off from slows? It seemed that it was supposed to function where it adds the distance when you were in melee range and then you target moved outside of it extending that distance for the extra 2-3 yards. The behavior on beta is that it is giving this distance from any type of motion (strafing, jumping) and if the target is also within motion it extends the distance even more.

Additionally, targets under a chill effect or slow effect in general weren’t supposed to be granted this extra melee leeway distance. Mobs on the beta are being granted this extension. I’m saying that there is valid evidence that while leeway did exist, it is not behaving how it did in vanilla. I wouldn’t care much if there wasn’t specific videos that show the issues.

1 Like

That attack at 8:56 that is parried…

Thats like a ten yard attack?

1 Like

Guys, no-one should be playing Classic for PvP alone. The game is not balanced around PvP, it’s balanced around PvE. All you whinging over PvP issues is not going to change that. Enjoy the imbalance… or not.

Actually this conversation does impact PVE. While the bulk of the focus is pvp, there is valid points about farming impacts. In vanilla chill effects and general slows where the target was 50% prevented the leeway mechanic. Instead, on beta chill effects and even the frost nova is resulting in mobs hitting way beyond the vanilla range on characters that are moving. This may not matter from a perspective of raiding pve content, but aoe farming is definitely looking problematic and enough that speed levelers are changing their strategies because of how different it is in beta.

Leeway sucks and everybody knows it.

2 Likes

Probably the most compelling thing I’ve seen against leeway.

It brings to light the effect of how knowing and seeing how leeway affects your character benefits the player using it.

In vanilla with leeway accommodating for the latency difference you can’t judge that distance with that precision, in modern situations you know exactly where the other player was and how much range you have.

1 Like

Haha, I’m sorry. I LOVE Vanilla and will LOVE Classic, but you can’t honestly say it was balanced at all.

A single class deals more than 1.5x the theoretical maximum of any of the other 8 classes.
Vanilla wasn’t balanced around PvE, and neither will Classic, it wasn’t balanced at all, if anything it’s balanced around fun and adventure.

2 Likes

Exactly… PvE content. I didn’t say the classes were “balanced”. I for one love the imbalance and gauche asymmetry in the Classic classes. It gives definition and class roles again.

The fact you have called out DPS differences as a measure of “imbalance” perfectly articulates the entire problem!

Balance is one of the most overrated elements of modern game design, and game design generally, that has ever been pushed forward as a virtue. Balance is often anathema to fun. I just wish more devs understood the difference.

Whilst true, and I believe homogenisation is the enemy of interest, some balance is recommended.

Things being unbalanced tends to lend fun to one person over another and that’s not always a nice situation to be in, especially if you weren’t aware that the situation would exist beforehand.

It’s probably my primary concern with Classic and the increased knowledge people have on the game.
“Sorry, you aren’t a Warrior. We don’t need any Rogues/Hunters/Warlocks/Shaman/Mage/Priests etc, they just don’t do enough damage”

Peoples enjoyment will be hurt if they can’t play the class they want and that is the cost of being unbalanced.
I just hope that doesn’t hinder the population of who wants to give Classic a try.

I know it certainly affects my opinions, not on the classes I want to play, but on the classes I can play and still do content.

I think there is a healthy in between of balance and uniqueness, it’s just finding that.
However just to clarify, I don’t propose changes to Classic, Classic is as Classic should be.
I just mean as general concept.

When player will be used to play with leeway, case like this will happen a lot of time.
Melee won’t bother to fight close range, they’ll just play with the leeway range.