Leakmas/future content discussion (Spoilers!)

I can roll with the punches 98% of the time and still have fun with WoW, but if they canonically make death inconsequential, that may really be it for me.

5 Likes

The only thing that could make me give up on WoW and Blizzard for good at this point is them deciding that BfA’s moral is “genocide is forgivable, actually”

2 Likes

They already did that with WoD, actually.

A small departure but as uninvested as I am, literally not playing and all, I’d be less frustrated about death being inconsequential in a universe that’s already basically as inconsequential as your average soap opera.

I’d be more frustrated if the lore of death being irrelevant and random didn’t translate to gameplay and I still had to corpse run back to my body… Or spirit? Or whatever.

Like if death is meaningless, cool, just get rid of the entire mechanic. I’d be fine with that, frankly.

2 Likes

I’m dangerously certain Sylvanas will have some excuse that will cause most NPCs to move past it. Except Tyrande. Cuz you know, women be crazy haha right other white males age 30 to 50 who wrote this stuff? nudge nudge

6 Likes

Just let us get back up where we died, basically.

please no i’m trying to pretend wod didn’t happen and wasn’t real please

1 Like

A lot of male writers, directors, etc. idea of a feminist character is just a woman they think is sexy enacting revenge fantasies on characters the creators don’t like.

-Taken from Twitter somewhere.

4 Likes

Ah, yes. We call that the Whedon Special.

4 Likes

I will completely ignore it. As far as I’m concerned, it isn’t happening/doesn’t happen. Maybe that makes me a hecka lore breaker but it’s so phenomenally stupid that I just want no part of it.

Though, fortunately my personal ongoing canon doesn’t really touch on current events much so it won’t be an issue anyway.

1 Like

Honestly at this point, trying to follow the lore is like trying to break a wall with a spoon. It’s going to take a massive amount of effort, and most likely is impossible.

What my friend and I have done is taken the setting and just run with it rather than force ourselves to 1) stick to annoying overarching plots devoid of logic or emotional resonance and/or 2) adhere to ridiculous stock-setting character tropes.

It’s confined to discord, but it’s proven to be immensely more satisfying than dealing with the constant let-down of our once-favorite faction being stupid villains yet again.

1 Like

…honestly I like that idea myself.

Anyone have a link to the 8.4 stuff that’s not on 4chan as I would rather not dive into that cesspool of neckbeard incel morons.

2 Likes

Honestly, ignoring “everyone is DEAD and a GHOST” strikes me as the only possible way to engage in any meaningful RP… but it also seems like it would be harder than usual to ignore, seeing as the leak makes it clear literally every prominent leader save Gallywix, Gelbin, and Calia is brutally killed off (and brought back as a green-tinged wraith). The whole scenario sounds like a nightmare from a “how the heck am I going to engage with this” standpoint.

3 Likes

It’s been great, it lets us more or less focus on what we still like about Azeroth while enabling us to go in crazy directions with it. Nobody to trash on what we’re doing as being outside lore, nobody to tell us our characters are wrong.

It’s like running around burning and screaming and dying and then suddenly immersed in aloe vera and handed $100,000 cash

e-except not the money part

1 Like

So have we ever had a really accurate leak of an expansion before? The only time I remember a leak being true is people speculating on Goblin/Worgen becoming PC races when they got halloween masks added in a patch. And that’s just extrapolating from data included in a patch, not random unsourced 4chan info. Has anything worthwhile ever come out of 4chan (not just talking about blizz leaks)?

I do remember other expansion “leaks”… IIRC the word was that Legion was gonna be a south seas expansion called “Eye of Azshara” which had… some of the elements of Legion? Like there were islands involved in legion, and I think some leaks even predicted Demon Hunters, but really it was just people making plausible guesses and nobody got anywhere close to what Legion actually was.

Some older false leaks even had some more compelling art to go with them compared to that mspaint map:

https://cdn.blizzardwatch.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/ExpansionLeakDarkProphet.jpg

My skepticism is motivated from me hoping they wouldn’t do anything as dumb as “lol death has no consequences now”, but still. Blizzard’s track record is not too bad on keeping secrets.

I’m watching someone elsewhere actually claim that there are hints in the expansion that this was her plan all along, and I just don’t see them.

1 Like

There have been some animal abusers that have been tracked down by 4chan and faced criminal charges because of those efforts. That’s about it though.

2 Likes

Both Legion and BfA were leaked, but were overlooked or dismissed.

Here’s one of the original BfA leakers posting on mmo-champ (note the date):

https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/2249901-Battle-for-Azeroth-Alpha-Beta-General-Discussion?p=47735638#post47735638

The only thing wrong being that Sylvanas uses a shard of Sargeras’ sword, obviously.

Oh, right, WoD was leaked as well but everyone dismissed it as too stupid (lol).

https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1381172-Real-Warlords-of-Draenor-Leak-Inside

1 Like