Layering - What am I missing?

They wouldn’t be obsessed, these would be players totally unaware of layering and receive the layering experience and then quit because the game sucks.

1 Like

Layering is not going to cause that. For those people, its going to create a far more realistic copy of 2004.

Only people who know what layering is, are even going to notice it. That’s the problem. You’re claiming to argue that it will hurt people who don’t even notice it, while we know you’ll keep playing regardless.

It’s basically WoW SJWs.

1 Like

This is really what it comes down to. With or without layering, I’ll still log into a busy server with 20 or 30 or 50 people around me, and then next time when I log into a server (six hours or whatever later) I’ll see 20 or 30 or 50 different people around me than there were last time.

You won’t start seeing familiar faces for a long time under ANY circumstances, that I can see.

2 Likes

People are going to notice players teleporting in/out from them. People are going to lack the community from not having the same players in their world. People are going to lack the friendships made from these communities being whole.

I’ve had friends/guildies quit modern WoW because players teleporting in/out because it doesn’t feel like a world anymore and nearly everyone who plays WoW notices it, even on the beta with much less players they say it’s noticeable. You don’t care about the community and want to play this game as a single player game. Look at everyone defending it saying “It doesn’t effect me why should I care”.

4 Likes

you’re focusing on one perceived negative based on the assumption that it will actually be a negative when it drops in it’s final form in two months.
considering how many positives there will be for all of us in classic, do you really want that one thing to sabotage your outlook on the entire game?

because it can easily become a self-fulfilling prophecy if you keep focusing on it.

I’m not focused on one negative assumption. There are tons of facts from the beta and layering infrastructure that make this a horrible idea. There’s absolutely no reason to have more than one layer past the 1-20 zones.

granted. i’m with you 100% on that.

EDIT : the last sentence at least.

there’s nothing I can see that makes layering truly bad if it stops at/before level 20

but it is one negative assumption about one thing.
if layering is gone by 20, the doubts you have about it are greatly reduced, aren’t they?

Unfortunately, there are apparently serious bugs associated with layering. Like, apparently you can just log out and log back in and any say, mining nodes nearby that you’d mined before logging out will respawn because you log into a new layer. This allows for super farming which could have serious effects on the economy. (Note: Classic is still in beta, so I don’t consider discussing exploits and how to do them publicly a problem.)

I think some tweaks to fix major exploits like this are all that’s needed.

1 Like

I’m considering both the positives and negatives which is why I think the 1-20 zone limit is the best way because it’s a balance for both. Layering will be most needed at the start and in compact zones/cities during the early levels before everyone paces out. Layering is most harmful as gear/items get more valuable and in contested pvp areas where players can teleport away.

Communities being split is not an assumption it’s a fact. Nodes, chests, rares, and items being duplicated through layers is a fact. Teleporting away from players or choosing preferable layers for certain quests or faction splits is a fact. This isn’t simply one negative assumption.

This is the correct answer. Some people are dogmatic about WoW, and anything that isn’t part of that dogma is heresy.

They’ve turned WoW into a religion.

4 Likes

but it’s based on one mechanic, and people are pre-empting pain based on the problems found in the beta and stress test.
it’s a good thing these problems have arisen now, because it’s clear to everyone (I would hope) that layering isn’t feasible once we hit contested areas in particular.

I bet if there was a thread asking people how they would feel about layering that doesn’t go beyond the first few starting areas, then most people would realize that most of their concerns would go away. not all, but most.

(I have to log for a while now, need to smash it at the gym :wink: )

It’s also worth noting that another major exploit caused by layering is that you can force layer yourself to simply escape any PVP encounter. Like, poof you’re gone in a matter of seconds. Not even being stun locked can stop you from fleeing.

So like, there ARE serious exploits in the beta at least. Once again, I think if we fix them somehow before live it’ll be fine.

It’s not a big deal. But people are desperate for something to complain about because they have nothing better to do. In 3 months nobody will even remember that layering existed or that anyone once complained about it.

All of these issues were talked about before the beta was even out. The problem is putting in any system that splits the realm apart and allowing players to interact with other players between those splits. The system doesn’t fit well in an mmo unless you play it like a single player game or like being able to exploit to your advantage.

Yes I think most people would find this acceptable and it should be the solution everyone pushes towards.

1 Like

You’ll have a 1 in 3 chance to see the same person each time. And if the two of you never log out, you’ll constantly see them.

1 Like

ponders

I’m going to dress up as Layering to scare kids on Halloween now.

I completely agree that there need to be protections against exploiting, and changing layers should be an annoying hassle.

1 Like

Or, you know, because it isn’t the authentic experience that was promised (and creates game breaking exploits).

/thread

3 Likes

Logging out isn’t the only swapping time though. Players joining groups and leaving will also be sending players to different layers.