Layering - What am I missing?

Because the way layers work in classic will be fundamentally different than the way shards work in retail.

Layers are only handle over population, which means that unlike retail you can’t just jump shards and get an empty. You jump layers in classic you end up in an equally populated layer.

3 Likes

I wish that had been my experience during this last stress test Zyrius. I was on a completely dead layer both Thursday and yesterday. I hardly saw anyone at all.

And on top of that, after getting invited to another layer to join in on a community event to go to SW to have some world pvp, we were met with a completely empty world with no alliance around on a high pop PvP server.

Does that sound right to you?

1 Like

Kinda sounds like something stress testing and beta testing are in existence to find…

2 Likes

I also thought that layers were meant to collapse when the population got low.

Oh yeah, it was just a stress test. But we have a little over two months until launch and I personally haven’t saw any improvements in the last three.

Is this one of those circumstances where people say but it’s just beta, it’s just a stress test and then when it’s live there is another excuse? Hopefully they have the many, many issues worked out before launch.

Yup.

And if the game is unplayable at that time, I’ll … well, read a book or watch a movie. Or something. Until they fix it.

It’s not really gonna impact my life if it’s not perfect out of the gate.

My guess is it will still be a disaster at launch and people will just keep saying how it’s supposed to be removed soon anyways and deal with it.

I hope Blizzard proves me wrong on this.

1 Like

Along with all those people in different zone, and different cities, and different dungeons, and different areas within the same zone.

1 Like

It’s a perceived abuse not an actual abuse. You perceive this due to using retail as the map to how layering works. Only, layering is not in retail.

CRZ pools populations into as few servers as possible. Hopping servers means hopping into servers empty of players but full of resources. - Bad.

Layers are not going to be empty.

1 Like

If anyone made a list of top 10 issues with BFA or modern MMO’s Sharding would be on it. After we have established that it is a huge problem in today’s MMO market there are not only resources but other important game mechanics in PVP that are neutralized with layering. Some examples are control of Black Rock Mountain, Raid Buff acquiring, and Quests who inherent difficulty like “In Dreams” are based on the idea that someone can grief you.

Layering’s issues are really not even fully realized and will only multiple as time passes. This isn’t only an influx in things like Black Lotus, and Arcane crystals but also rare mob materials like felcloth, essence of fire, etc.

Classic wow is a game of resources, people and materials, and tampering with that for the sake of a smoother launch is near sighted.

3 Likes

And they’re also not going away.

So, the horse is dead and pretty dang flat by now. We’re getting layering, it will go away after a few weeks or months depending on how many people stay or leave Classic.

I completely understand Blizz’s wishes here, and in the end, layering is in our best interests no matter how things shake out.

If the population drops by 80% after the first month, then we’ll have nice full unlayered servers with plenty of people on them to keep us happily communified.

If population GROWS, Blizz will see it’s time to add more servers, not more layers.

Feel free to cite your source.

Badly worded - I mean to say that squalling about them on this forum will not mean Blizz will change it’s mind over the next month and not put in layering.

Ah, yes, we are getting layering one way or another. No doubt.

Development doesn’t care about your feelings.

Because it’s long enough to cause problems and Blizzard hasn’t communicated about the issues people have. The first few weeks are an important time to establish bonds with the realm and some people will quit before they take off layering due to the experience.

Yes, everything will be different from the non-layered scenario. The people you meet will be different, the economy will have a huge duplication boost for however many weeks it stays in and players will quit because they are met with the retail experience instead of classic.

You don’t have to be bothered by anything, if you aren’t bothered you aren’t bothered. People are bothered because this is Classic WoW which is trying to deliver on the old experience and layering is far from that. It brings in tons of problems and just simply doesn’t belong here.

Empathy.

4 Likes

Because people who like to consider themselves “purists” have run out of other boogeyman to rail against.

5 Likes

Y’know, it’s funny. Here on the Classic forum, I’m meeting people I with the same ideas and thoughts - and I’d like to play WOW Classic with them.

I mean, we see the same basic people - it IS just like vanilla.

Let’s all make it a point to gather on Classic when it arrives …

Layering will constitute 1.9% of my playing experience in the Vanilla “first wave” of 2 years. That’s why its such a non-event.

Layering will constitute 100% of peoples play experience in Classic when they quit because of it.

1 Like

If people are that obsessed with Classic that they can’t play without layering, then they can start 3 weeks later when its gone. Its not that much of a deal.

3 Likes