Layering sucks even if its just P1 (Video Proof)

I have flashback of BfA beta from this comment…

1 Like

and now its a feature

Capital raids are the theme of my guild. Out raid getting shunted into another dimension when we roll into Orgrimmar… Well, Blizzard thinks they’re be putting us on another layer. In reality, that alternate dimension would be a private server.

1 Like

If you’d actually read the posts on this subject that contain videos, you’ll see that the implementation of layering we’ve had so far is a complete disaster and screws up everything from rare gathering to city raids.

Yeah, stabilize on, like 5 servers out of 30+, as people naturally gravitate towards population centers, because they A. Don’t want to be on a “dead” server and B. There’s no queue to stop them from dogpiling, unlike in the old days. It made people spread out. Not anymore.

The megaservers will be hundred layer cakes all the way up until phase 2. And then comes the fracturing.

I like that…“another dimension”.

Queue up that Twilight Zone music.

1 Like

I’ve made 2 posts about that.

One for Sharding:

One for Layering:

And nobody really seems to care. Should be discussed more I suspect.

People don’t seem to think that way sadly.

What are you talking about? And no, i will enjoy playing Classic, thank you very much, I just dont want server issues.

Yep, plenty of crashes and queue times though.

Doesn’t seem intentional since he could see all the players he was invited to join.

Bump this to raise awareness.

So you’re telling me a beta tester found a bug in the game? And then from watching… this tester failed to report it?

I don’t trust Blizz either but lets at least hold the testers accountable who aren’t reporting the bugs… I stopped watching after “I don’t even know what to report.” Uhm… the bug you just witnessed!

This same exact thing happens in BfA all the time. Their tech sucks.

But you’re still playing. Not being able to even get into the server is a massive “server issue” to me.

That’s what beta and stress testing is for. Clearly this is not intended behavior.

You are oh so wrong.

My mindset is someone who played Vanilla and had to regularly deal with queue times to even play the game I was paying for.

Nothing wrong with that, really.

Even if they do, Classic will still go on.

It sounds like you’ll be able to avoid it entirely by playing on low-medium pop realms. Either way, the only other work-around is to just deal with tens of thousands of players complaining about being locked out of their realm and demanding a refund.

This entire layering feature is being implemented due to the simple limitation of processors maxing out each individual core at 5 GHz. Layering is the only solution so far for taking advantage of multithreaded optimization.

Layering isn’t for launch stability, its for server longevity.

If you cap servers at launch to what you want them to be for a stable server pop down the road you will end up with too many servers with low/unhealthy populations. Or at least that is the current speculation.

We’re playing a video game, not a tabletop rpg.

I completely understand your frustration, because i’ve posted threads like this on EU, and what i get is a response of a part of the community either being unaware of how all this works (as it can get confusing unless you actually look into it), or thinking about their own gameplay inconveniences they think they’ll completely avoid with something like layering.

So if you propose an approach without it, people get very defensive, and even if your point is strong, they might miss it completely cause they are so protective and don’t want you to be the reason why they can’t get what they want. The fact things might be much worse later is not one many people currently are aware of.

There will still be queues, and their server might get split up after the phase it was supposed to grow together as a community, as it should in Classic. Which needless to say will get them right back to much more spreading of vitriol than a short, intense launch. It’s kinda funny in a way how people work.

And then we have the issue of the big Streamers and any press related people not addressing the issues with this system because most likely they want to (from their PoV understandably) cash in on the massive hype train. Or they are actively trying to help Blizzard get layering through to the community as smoothly as possible.
Or maybe they are genuinely blind to it due to the hype, and the lovely devs, so they can’t see reason. Emotions are strong here. Reasoning right now is really difficult to get across with emotional people getting back their favorite game… with some small print at the bottom easily overlooked in a rush.

But don’t give up, people do read the posts. I have read yours and i agree completely. Many don’t ever comment on here even if they agree, because like i used to, only lurk to see what people think and hope they’ll get represented in the discussions because they don’t want to get into the pit themselves.

However when they do get represented, and feel there’s some backing to their now seemingly controversial opinion, and the reasoning behind it is very solid (like yours is), they will start to join in on the discussion.
But they might say something about it on a YT video, on twitter, reddit, twitch chat… wherever their place is.
There’s still time, and people start to see more what’s going on now that they start to relax a bit with binging on beta streams and so on. Keep your chin up, eh? :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes