Layering might be a long term thing

They could collapse the layers and turn up the dynamic spawn dial.
It was there in vanilla…just set to 0.

Which causes problems in various areas where there’s already high mob density (like the den in Teldrassil), and even if they increased mob spawns you’ll have hundreds of people in each area. That’s… not really feasible.

Well now the way I understand it is that it can be turned on per zone and is dynamic in nature in that population numbers determine whether or not it turns on and for how much.

Sure, but again, bottlenecks can be a problem even with dynamic respawns and with how many people are expected to be on each server, it’s just not likely to work.

Once layering drops it’ll get a bit better because the players will be more spread out, and the curious tourists will have thinned out.

8K people in EP with the rest “spread out” is going to be interesting.
Ony and MC is part of phase 1 so that will be there for some time…months even.

1 Like

If we have that many there at the time, and that many people leveled that quickly, yes.

If players dont leave as predicted there will be either:

Layering until enough people left (they could prolong phase 2 for a bit)

Splitting servers (highly unlikely)

Increase of server cap (given example 7k)

Idk why people down play the risks.
All 3 options kinda suck.

all I know is if layering is perm me and my friends aren’t going to keep playing.

1 Like

Why do you say it’s not likely to work ? That’s Blizzard code and they did turn it on eventually (not vanilla) and it did work.

True, but that’s assuming nobody really leaves and Blizzard doesn’t open enough servers. That’s part of what these tests are about.

Nothing Blizzard has said suggests it will be. On the contrary, they’ve even agreed that it is directly against what Classic is for.

Oh no, the respawns would work, the problem is everything else around it. Still too many players, still too much lag, still too much competition. Private servers were terrible for bottlenecks with dynamic respawns.

You are not going to escape bottlenecks at cap. If anything it will get worse as more players hit 60. And that is another problem in itself.

1 Like

And that’s fine. The assumption is that a large portion of the people there on day 1 won’t be there on week 2 or 3, much less at 60.

Mighty big assumption there.
I, for one, think that many are going to come and many are going to stay.

1 Like

And the assumption was, “you think you do , but you don’t”. A lot of servers will not die off and we will be stuck with many servers way over what the cap should be.

My answer to the problem we face is this. By this time we should know what the servers cap should be in a perfect world. Someone has the numbers. Lets say 5k is the best number you would want. Set each servers cap at 6.5-7k without sharding and let the ship sail. Open as many servers as it takes. I mean you can pretty much say their will be 1 million resubs just for classic meaning 15 million dollars. Then when the dust settles offer a 1 time server transfer for free, better yet an account transfer. I would say this should be the phase 2 deadline they are claiming to remove layering. On the truly dead servers force the move. All that is better than layering.

1 Like

If it required a separate subscription, yeah I think you’d have a point. But I imagine there’ll be a lot of people from modern trying out Classic at first.

I mean I agree that a cap would be ideal, but at the same time that doesn’t solve the bottleneck issue at the start. That’s the whole issue that Blizzard is worried about, and with good reason. I really, really doubt we’ll see 1 million new subscriptions from Classic - that seems ludicrous no matter what, and opening too many servers is a very bad idea.

Then cap the server a little over the ideal cap and layer that. I would still not be ok with it but would deal with that as being an option. But to layer a silly high number is dangerous. All this is just guess work because they have not said what each realm will be capped at officially. I can only assume their greed and pick a number over 10k.

Edit* I did not mean NEW subs, I meant old people coming back. Is it really hard to believe that a game that now has 5 million vs 20 million in its great days would not get just 1 million back?

I mean, three thousand players a layer is still a lot, and it’s per continent. I also don’t think you really understand why they don’t want to open a lot of servers.

It was in one of the interviews (can’t remember whose and no desire to look it up because I already heard the answer)…

Layers of “typical” vanilla size. They’re “hoping” to remove layering after a couple weeks, but no later than the start of P2 and after that, login queues… just… like… back… in… the… day.

Ultimately, we would end up with server sizes about the same as vanilla. If there was an overpopulated server with not too many drops, then that server is gonna have queues. My assumptions is after that, they would offer free transfers to low pop servers.

I will not argue any more. Their is only one positive, which by some would be considered a negative to layering. That positive is a smooth launch. Absolutely no other positive from the player side. That is 100% not enough of a reason to sacrifice what Vanilla WoW is and should be today. I can list easily a dozen negatives that layering provides. List me more than smooth launch. If it is in the game I will abuse the system to my benefit like many others who would understand this. Have fun leveling ladies and gents.

Well except for the fact players can experience vanilla more how it was intended, and more people are likely to stay given they’re not bottlenecked with several hundred other players, which likely increases the longevity of the server overall. You can argue all you like, but the fact is there isn’t really an alternative. Locked servers are worse than layering, as they can’t even play with their friends if they decide to come a bit later to the server or are a late starter.

If you abuse it, likely you’ll be actioned for it, so be warned.