Layering is exactly the same as sharding - lets do some math

https:// wowwiki.fandom. com/wiki/Timeline_of_the_creation_of_US_realms

I can live with the warts of Classic, because they are part of the game which i wanna play from Day 1 until whatever comes after.
:icecream::two_hearts:

Is it really though when i can see a visible transition from my world to the next as i get invited by someone from such another world (layer)? Or when i get switched over to a new/old layer during my play session because the current population demands require me to be transitioned over?

Keep in mind…layers are dynamic. If they weren’t, then you’d have a static world.

Instead he’s going to vanish as he gets invited by someone from a different layer, or i and others will vanish for anyone around me who sees me getting invited to another layer.
Just like you see a clear poofing out of mobs AND players when layer transitions happen in a currently active play session.

Instead i’ll see one of the organized, dedicated economic layer hoppers pop in out of nowhere and mine that thing right from under my nose.

Agreed. Especially when you see and test it for yourself in the beta/stress tests.

Only in the strictest sense of the term. The birth of a new layer or the destruction of an existing layer are intended to be exceedingly rare events.

Yet if his bg queue popped or he got summed somewhere you wouldn’t care in the least, never giving it a second thought. When the boogie man “layering” is the cause it suddenly ruins immersion.

3 Likes

Take this example; I’m playing beside a guy clearing mobs, talking in /s, (not partied for better exp) my bro logs on and invites me and wants to chat in /p, I can’t accept my bro’s invite because I might get sharted on. Or I accept my bro’s invite and get stuck in a pile of mobs and lose the guy I was just chatting with. This obstacle imposed by both layering and sharting on invites wasn’t in Vanilla.

Now I have to watch out when and where I party with someone because the entire party dynamic is changed. I could die just from partying with someone even though the area is completely clear at the time.

The amount of players participating in grouping up/interacting with eachother and (trying to) immerse themselves in the world as they level is going to be much higher than the participation levels of those few PvPers (in comparison) who will poof out as they accept a BG queue pop.

That’s simply because leveling through the world is basically the base game, while playing BG’s/doing PvP is an addition to that base game which has much less participation levels compared to basic leveling activities in the world. In fact, PvP doesn’t need to happen at all (PvE realms) in order to play WoW, whereas everyone who plays the game will have to level up by interacting with the world and it’s players (or in case of layering, worlds…).

Therefore the overall frequency of poofs from layer transitions is gonna be a LOT higher than that of PvP BG poofs, especially on high pop realms, as basic gameplay in Classic is gonna require regular grouping throughout the leveling journey, ESPECIALLY with layering (think people in goldshire advertising their profs in general chat, and people needing to group with them to trade through different layers).

So what specific number breaks your immersion and wrecks the game for you?

edit: for the record, I am in the beta and never saw that happen once. If you are keeping score or something.

1 Like

We can complain about layering, but while some people might be turned off by it I don’t think the modern player would wait four hours in a login queue these days.

1 Like

Don’t forget to add in all the people rude enough to log in or out in front of you as well. People should just make up their minds if they want to be in the game or out of it and stop poofing in front of me.

3 Likes

It makes sense people can log out instantly in cities for example. But out in the world? In the danger zones?

There’s a good reason why Blizzard put restrictions on logging out in these outdoor areas aside from specific inn locations. (20 sec wait time, and if you exit game, your character is still vulnerable a couple moments after you exited and doesn’t just poof out immediately)

The moment you can instantly remove your character from the area that’s supposed to make your character vulnerable to danger and all sorts of adventures, you break the game, the immersion of the RPG world aspect, and socialization (both good and bad).

If layering makes it in, this is how a ton of players will appear to be in the world from Day 1 until layering is (supposedly) removed:
https://media.tenor.com/images/3e0d3b2c63f871f733ba11766fe17339/tenor.gif

You can’t jump from layer to layer unless joining a group on a different layer or loging off from the game.
You can constantly be jumping between shards by changing zones or even moving in the same zone.

Classic players want the classic experience please blizzard hear our calls leave a couple servers out of the layering servers. This will cost you nothing and provide us the experience we have been longing for. If people complain simply explain to them that they can join layering servers therefor nullifying their complaint. This is a win win you get the retail players that want to try classic and you give us the ability to only play the game with people on our server I don’t see a downside to this.

1 Like

Can you live with a plastic pen with two round ball stuck up your cup? I swear the doctor will remove it when he has time

If that temporary pain resulted in some long term result (like a healthy server pop), then shove whatever you want in me!

that is not accurate

Hey bro. I am a classic player and I support layering.

Hrm, sort of like the blue posts telling us WE have layering?

Lot’s of complaining going on. Several blue posts to tell us about the NEED for it.

Instead of spinning your wheels trying to “REMOVE” it, you should spend more energy ensuring the exploits are fixed.

It is supposed to be a temp system.

That is very dirty talk sir

Geez I wish that was true (just like vanilla) but this is far from the current state of classic : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrnw7XuGTJQ

1 Like

I’ll just copy paste my own comments from a different thread:

The single greatest source of layering hate is that stupid “10 minutes of layering effecting gameplay video”. That video is a couple of serious problems with layering, and nine minutes of bugs that were fixed in beta weeks upon weeks ago.

Still gets posted daily. Who cares that the bug that would kick you off flight paths if you were in a group was only in beta for about 36 hours and it is long gone? Why should the truth stop a good rant or rave? Who cares that a bunch of those clips were Blizzard manually forcing new layers on the BETA because they were trying to test it? Why should that stop people from grabbing pitchforks? Who cares that early in the beta joining a group with people in the same exact layer as you would sometimes push you to a different layer and that was long since fixed… lets keep posting that video anyway!

1 Like

This video is actual evidence, yet you denied all the evidence by saying they’re “bugs” that got fixed and provide no source…

At least provide a link to back your claims.

1 Like