Layering is exactly the same as sharding - lets do some math

my list of fixed problems and nonsense?

You must have me confused with someone else, I was just saying that vid someone linked has nothing to do with the stress test. Neither does that gurubashi chip, stress was capped at 15 so that’s pretty clear

That isn’t completely true, You can get randomly phased when new layers are being created and combined as well as when you get kicked off to let people grouping up on your layer use their OP phasing skill. So I guess a person “want” to phase over-rides my “want” to stay on the layer I’m on?

Escaping pvp, resource exploits, phasing randomly (overcrowding), and phasing at will, are features of layering they aren’t bugs and they are going to happen as long as layering is in the game.

1 Like

And because static layers act as essentially separate servers, which means at some point established social structures have to suddenly combine. Terrible idea. That’s why layering is dynamic, because merging servers is bad.

No actually they aren’t. They are bugs.

Also blizzard literally put a cd on how quickly you can switch layers to prevent the resource cheesing. Its around every 30 minutes.

You will not phase randomly. What you see in the beta are devs moving players manually between layers for testing purposes. You don’t get moved to another layer if the one you are on is full. The game creates a new layer for players logging in separate from yours. You aren’t moved.

While true layer creation and destruction is supposed to be fairly rare.

My guess is that the layers are somewhat flexible and when you hit 9001 players it doesnt just shove that 1 person onto there own new layer.

More likely is that if the ideal layer size is 3k
Then when you are at like 7k its still using 2 layers and trying to keep them at like 3500, but when you get to 8k it might open a new layer and try and pull people onto it so you have 2600 for each layer. Then when you drop below like 5k it could collapse them back to 2.

But again this is all hypothetical and things that would need to be tested to see how a new layer is spun up and collapsed. Easiest way to do that is to force test this on a Beta with mini layers so you have less to test at full scale with the stress tests.

1 Like

It’s 20 seconds on beta currently. Even 1 layer change is destructive anyway, when things like gurubashi chest exist

1 Like

What people don’t realize is that layering and sharding are exactly the same under the covers. The whole idea of blizzard creating a new technology just for classic is nothing but smoke up our asses. If it’s minimal work and effort they’ll do it.

2 Likes

They changed that recently than. I watching some streamers and they couldn’t switch layers for nearly 30 minute.

exactly, and thank you.

people in this thread are arguing over trivial nonsense like “locked shards”…

the reality is, blizzard doesn’t want to deal with server merges, and they don’t have an elegant way to solve that problem. so we have sharding. Thats what this is.

arguing about locked shards and all this over nonsense is like arguing over shades of the same color.

they haven’t gotten rid of phasing or sharding, and they have no intention to as far as I can see.

you should google “how many servers will wow classic have” and then read what Ion has actually said in more recent interviews.

[quote=“Ðavyjones-tichondrius, post:17, topic:220522”]
Before anyone bashes Locked layers they do not prevent you from playing with your friends people… it is a CHOICE at Character Creation… just like a server…
[/quote] that’s really not the issue at all.

I think this is exactly the problem. It’s counter intuitive to a server developing its own little ‘subculture’ if you may… and that’s the sort of ‘world’ feeling people are after (in so many words).

you REALLY miss the point that the whole ‘server’ argument is about. you should go sit by yourself and try to understand the problem before coming in here to be obnoxious.

Bingo.

Phase 1 will last 14 weeks tops. There is not much of a permanent culture that will evolve out of individual layers in that time frame. If there IS and the individual layers are large enough they could split the layers and Hogger 1 stays Hogger while Hogger 2 is now called Kobald Workers…

That is the major benefit of locked layers. And they far outweigh the culture merging argument that is the grandest example of a “what if” argument ever.

great opinion stated as a fact, I guess you are privy to inside information huh;

1 Like

Lean is not 3.

I searched and the closest I could find was this:

https://www.pcgamesn.com/world-of-warcraft/wow-classic-server-sharding

Rather than copies of individual zones, there will be three entire copies of Azeroth, each with their own populations equal to what a launch server back in 2006 would have been.

And he’s talking about layers, not realms.

I cannot find anything more specific than “lean”, so if you have it, post it. Put up or shut up.

2 Likes

It’s really not your job to search for evidence of his claim, it’s on him to do that. Even though we disagree a lot, I agree with you on this. (Shifting the burden of proof)

1 Like

Sure, but I expect him to put in zero effort to back up his claims, and if the information is out there, I want it, from source.

1 Like

I have no idea what “Lean” you’re talking about, but in the article you just linked he specifically said “three entire copies of Azeroth”. “entire” is irrelevant. Everyone knew that much already.

also maybe you should L2Read before telling other people to shut up.

Sharding is to prevent zones from being overpopulated. Layering is to prevent servers from dying a month after release, while also functioning as “sharding light” to keep high pop servers from being unplayable at launch.

#nochanges is great if you want the true Vanilla experience. But it sucks if you find yourself on a dead server a year from now and have to transfer to experience AQ40 or Naxx in a decent guild.

That’s really not relevant.

They’re saying one thing and doing another.

Sharding and Layering are the same tech, built to solve the same problems… allow launch number of players to actually play the game(log in and have mobs to kill) without creating enough servers for that launch crowd so when a majority of them stop playing after a while you are not left with a bunch of dead realms that would have to be merged because Blizzard and players do not like server mergers which is why they created LFD/CRZ in the first place. This is why all the other solutions to this problem are worse than sharding/layering.

Where they differ is in size, shards are fractions of a zone so while running from a hub to an area to complete a quest you could enter and exit multiple shards seeing things phase in and out of the shards as you did.
Layering just lets more people into each layer but sets its boarders to the loading zones, so you can only enter or exit a layer by going through a loading screen and you do not see any phasing.(not counting when you enter/leave a group)

Or perhaps, you should. Since those “three copies” are layers. Not realms. Clearly you don’t have any information on your three servers, and just fail to understand what you’re reading.

This is the only quote about actual realm counts that we have: