đź‘Ą Layering in Classic - Blizzard Responds on Reddit

Ishnu’alah fellow Classic Gamers!

Earlier today, Blizzard Lead Software Engineer, Brian Birmingham, elaborated on the misconceptions about how Layering should work in Classic on the “ClassicWoW Subreddit AMA with the Classic WoW Dev team!”

You can read the original post here, or on the less-painful to stare at Wowhead news post.

Blizzard Lead Software Engineer Clears Up Misconceptions About Layering

Originally Posted by Blizzard

I’m so glad you asked this question.

We’ve seen some confusion about layering, both about how it helps support our launch, and how it’s supposed to behave while its active, so I’d like to both speak to it and clear up some misconceptions about it.

First, we’re absolutely committed to reducing to one layer per realm before our second content phase goes live, and the sooner we can get there, the better. The reason we can’t do that initially is that on launch day, everybody will be clustered in the starting zones, and having players so close together causes an exponential drain on server resources. In fact, the same number of players cause more server problems crammed into Northshire than they do spread across all of Elwynn Forest. We expect that even after the first couple of days, we’ll need fewer layers than we need for the initial hours of launch, and our stress tests have confirmed that expectation.

A related concern that was raised during our pre-launch test was that capital cities felt empty, but that only occurred because we left the pre-launch test running two days past its original end date, and we didn’t reduce the number of layers at all during that test. During our launch week, as the players spread out across the world, we’ll monitor activity and reduce layers as necessary, so the world continues to feel full.

Some players have suggested using sharding in low level zones to address launch demand, both because we talked about that at Blizzcon, and because it’s what they’re used to from our modern expansions. Unfortunately, while modern WoW has content designed to work with sharding, WoW Classic does not. The most obvious example of incompatible content is Rexxar’s famously long patrol path, but there are lots of other examples throughout WoW Classic. Since we want all that content to work as it was originally designed, we’ve made sure that every layer is a copy of the entire world, so you can kite Anachronos all the way to Orgrimmar, and you can ride the boat from Ratchet to Booty Bay with the same people alongside you the whole way.

Some players have asked us to use realm caps and login queues to handle the demand, and while those are tools we have at our disposal, we don’t want to rely on them exclusively, because they keep people from playing the game.

One of the most frequently reported problems during our tests was players transferring to a layer for what seemed like no reason. There were several bugs that caused this, and we’re confident we’ve fixed them. At this point, the only thing that should cause you to change layers is accepting an invite from a player on another layer. Additionally, it should always transfer the player who was invited to the layer of the player who invited them.

Nonetheless, after accepting an invite, the layer transfer doesn’t always happen immediately, because we don’t want to transfer you in the middle of combat, or before you get a chance to loot. During our pre-launch test, we saw a few reports of what seemed like random layer transfers, but when we investigated, we realized this was due to us making that transfer delay too long. The delay was so long that players could unintentionally chain one delay into another by starting combat immediately after looting. Because of those reports, we’ve fixed the transfer delay to give you enough time to loot, without being so long that you’re left wondering why you can’t join your friend. We’ll keep an eye on that, and we may decide to reduce it further.

We’ve also seen reports of people transferring suddenly at the entrances to capital cities, which was related to the transfer delays. If you’re waiting to transfer to your friend’s layer, and you enter a capital city, we ignore the delay and transfer you immediately. The long delays were making it more likely that you’d enter a capital with a transfer pending, and now that we’ve reduced the transfer delay, it will be a bit more clear that your transfer was the result of accepting a group invitation.

Regarding PvP, we saw many posts from players wondering if getting invited to a party is a good way to escape from PvP combat. I’m pleased to say there’s actually a separate, longer transfer delay following any PvP combat. We know a lot of world PvP enthusiasts are excited for WoW Classic, and we don’t want the additional layers to feel like they’re robbing you of your kills. When the time comes to withdraw from the fight, you’ll have to escape from your enemies and get to a safe place before you’re able to join your friends on another layer.

I’d also like to clarify how multiple layers work with logout. Early in our stress testing, players reported that logging out and back in would let you hop to a new layer to farm the same mineral or herb node on different layers. That was a bug, and we’ve fixed it. Your layer assignment now persists for a few minutes between logouts, long enough that by the time the game would choose a new layer for you, that node would have respawned on its own anyway.

I hope that all makes things a bit more clear.

Update

Q&A Compilation -- WoW Classic Development Team AMA

There have been numerous threads about how Layering will function in Classic, with a wide range of responses that have led to some confusion.

Does this response from Blizzard clarify any questions you had about how Layering is designed to function for early Classic? What are your overall thoughts about the application of layering for Classic, as it is explained above?

6 Likes

So, i still wont be able to see the same people from the previous day i played…Nah. I don’t like this

6 Likes

Like it or not we are stuck with it. At least for the first few days/week. Solution, I guess, would be make friends and put them on your friend list.

2 Likes

“Early in our stress testing, players reported that logging out and back in would let you hop to a new layer to farm the same mineral or herb node on different layers. That was a bug, and we’ve fixed it. Your layer assignment now persists for a few minutes between logouts, long enough that by the time the game would choose a new layer for you, that node would have respawned on its own anyway.”

This is great news, but given the longer and highly limited spawns relative to other herbs, I wonder if this applies to Black Lotus? That’s the one I’m most concerned about.

1 Like

It’s only for a short time. Once the tourists leave and go back to retail, layering will go and all will be fine!

3 Likes

This is a great question, Fel!

I would hope it does function the same for rare-spawn items.

I’m glad they reiterated their commitment before phase 2.

3 Likes

Layering sounds like a PITA, but people better be ready to transfer off their server if it’s still overpopulated when they remove layering.

You can’t complain about the existence of layering because it divides a community and then complain your game is unplayable after they remove it because you have too much community.

You will have a decision to make when phase 2 starts if you’re still on a heavily populated server.

4 Likes

You’re absolutely right. However. That doesn’t stop people. Lol.

My expectation is that they are expecting attrition to do most of the work for them but will probably slowly reduce the amount of people logged into a server every few days or week. If the attrition is slower than the cap reduction you’ll start seeing login Q times increase to incentivize server transfers and rerolls.

I bet they already have a weekly cap reduction built in that insures layers are gone by phase 2 and will increase the reduction if attrition is high.

True, but I think I have read a stament or three, which I am unable to quote, that depending on the server layering will be in place much longer with no promise to have it gone by phase two. shrug I’m on Bloodsail. It’ll be gone there in a couple hours probably. :slight_smile:

I’m glad Blizz are answering some questions, but it doesn’t make me feel any better about Layering- it will help with early congestion, great, but I still won’t be able to see my un-partied friend in the game world.

I sincerely hope Blizzard remove sharding altogether from Classic WoW as soon as possible.

Yea. I’m rolling Grobb and hoping this whole layering/que mess bypasses the server.
Idk though. What I’m getting out of what I’ve read is that it’s getting shut off and if your server is overloaded people might want to change serverd.
Either way im just glad they’re shooting for it to be gone before world bosses. The wpvp carnage is going to be glorious!

He doesn’t say anything about overpopulated layers. How inviting to them will work? If phasing happens exclusively on invites this means all the players on the server can gather on one single layer. So there is something missing in that explanation.

They said in the AMA that layer assignment happens at log in too. So as soon as one layer gets full, all players logging in after that point can be sent to a lower pop layer, presumably.

I’m talking about invites to a capped layer. The two only possible outcomes - all players on the server being able to gather on 1 layer or people are phased out to compensate.

The layer “cap” probably isn’t hard and fast. Enough people will be logging out often enough to quickly give more room.

You think they will rely on “lets hope enough people will log off”? Will that hope work if players decide to game the layering system?

What about the case when cool wpvp happens on layer X and everyone start asking for invites on that layer?

That response is intentionally explaining only the bright side of the story.

I’m speculating about how the back side of the system works, but I’m not sure what you’re worried about. People won’t be bumped out of a layer randomly given the AMA answer:

So how they handle a coordinated Hillsbrad raid or what constitutes an overpopulated area, I don’t know. Their answers about layering bug fixes indicate that they’ve thought about the implementation a lot.

Your opinion is that they choose to not have invite based population cap on layers?