Layer Hopping now has Internal Cooldown

K, thx. Bye :kissing_closed_eyes:

You are my kind of people!

I will gank an alliance at the character creation screen if I could. Heck, I would gank them while typing in their paypal password to buy a sub.

2 Likes

Uh, I’m going to be paying for the product. I already am supporting its development. The latest patch has confirmed that once I get flying (assuming its before August) I won’t be returning there and I’ll burn all my gold reserves for free Classic game time, before paying for it like a regular customer.

1 Like

I got him to delete it man, its cool

I do love you all! <3 :slight_smile:

1 Like

I don’t know why you care about this, but:

I’ve asked for static layers many times, and we’ve fleshed out the nature of static layers in thread after thread. It is my preferred solution since it maintains authentic vanilla server-like layers while allowing for merges like current layering.

1 Like

This sound better :slight_smile:
Having a 30 min CD i think is fair

More accurately, we have an idea of how long they currently say it will be in place.

How long it actually is in place remains to be seen.

I wonder if those who swear layering will be gone in “a few weeks” will be here admitting that they were wrong if layering extend more than 6 weeks or until phase 2 is released, possibly even beyond the release of phase 2 if the population does not drop as much as they think/hope it will.

Layering is going to be in for all of Phase 1. However, the effects of layering will be tuned over time to where the player cap per layer will increase which results in less layers over time. Once phase 2 hits, layering will be gone. If there happens to be an excess amount of players on a server, the result at that point will be queues and possibly even free server transfers to potentially even fresh servers. They just want to make sure that people have an enjoyable experience with the initial rush.

1 Like

I hope you are correct. I will ask you, though, why use layering for phase 1 to avoid queues only to instate queues in phase 2 if the population does not drastically drop?

The queues that would be around at the launch of Classic would be larger than those that would come by phase 2. At the same time by implementing layers, they can avoid issues where a large amount of people in a small vicinity do not overload the server with processing actions as has been seen on the Beta. The affects are just more present at the beginning. The long term affect of layer is preventing server merges when there is a high drop off rate in specific servers. Thus they will use more limited amount of servers at launch.

1 Like

From how it is explained (and what I understand), we will be using layering and queues at launch. Expectation is that even with layers the servers will have a limit of how many people they want in them (thus a sort of soft cap on how many layers there may be). They want layers to temporarily stretch to accommodate an initial rush, but it would be an issue if too many people clumped onto one server. By the nature of how people like to flock to already high/full servers, if you don’t even put in a queue and rely solely on layers, that problem could become even worse. Then when layers get removed, queues on a few servers could be even worse than launch, not because more people stayed overall, but those who did clamored onto a few servers that ran ahead in population early.

2 Likes

Layering a good solution given the constraints that Classic has to work in. It isn’t great or even best, in terms of game design in general; except for that whole “operating within the constraints of Classic” to contend with again.

But so far it is the likely launch scenarios go, it is a very good and simple solution for most of the ones likely to play out.

That’s highly debatable. But also outside the scope of this forum.

I doubt that. I suspect the BFA players are going to only a small fraction of the number of players/“tourists” that turn up. However, once those “tourists” try classic and decide they hate it, they could very easily decide to log in to BFA and check it out before their subscription dies.

1 Like

It’s not about the rush. It’s about the drop off and 50% of the servers being dead after. Unless you want them to stay lean on realms and remove layering but the. You’d have a large group of people unable to log in because once people get in they’d do whatever they could to avoid logging out.

2 Likes

I think we will be paying blizzard enough that they can figure out what to do with extra servers after the merges.

I’m more concerned about having Vanilla wow back and intact than I am about blizzard having extra servers to hock. Maybe they can sell their old ones or givem to charity for tax benefits or something.

Why should blizzard having extra servers if population declines be pushed off as a players problem and alter the game anyways?

Not sure exactly what you are referring to. But if you are talking about a hard server merge, then that’s a no go. You will get your authentic servers back by phase 2. If Blizzard is dumb enough to say “We are gonna keep layering into phase 2” then I will be with you an leave the game pretty much.

2 Likes

These are not individual hardware servers. They are VM’s that spin up or down depending on need.

1 Like

Then their predictions and models based on historical player activity were wrong.

The goal is make sure realms are populated. If they’re overpopulated after the expected population collapse, then it was mission successful.

The layering isn’t so much about avoiding queues(although it has that impact), as it is about making sure that when the 70+% quit rate hits, there still is a population to work with on that realm.

3 Likes

That of course is based on the long term solution they were seeking. There are just some advantages that they can apply in the short term as well to encourage more people to play. More often than not, those unfamiliar with a game or anything business related will make a judgement within the first 40 seconds of a given experience.

1 Like