Lag/Jittering with every quest hand-in/Level up

TY update. I will test when I get home. Stay tuned.

OMG OMG ITS FIXED for me I am so happy!!! hope it stays

1 Like

Came here to check for an update. Turned off Controlled Folder Access (CFA), updated BNET and Wow. Still present. Did a daily and WQ. Turned CFA back on. Did another daily and WQ. No more stutter.

It is not solved for me. Tooltip.log was empty when I ran the update. It ballooned to 1mb at 20,000 lines.

1 Like

I’m not having lag with WQs, but like I said I felt a half-second freeze killing a boss…
And I just checked in my Tooltip.log and I agree with you that something is really strange, it was empty and now is at 3mb already. I mean, if its still writing this many lines It can’t be good, right? Even If we dont feel the lag anymore…

1 Like

Seems fixed on my end, the overall performance of the game seems smoother as well, maps load quicker, less hiccups etc.

i played a few different toons and it appears that issue is gone for now. game would have this issue a lot when killing honey smasher but so far on 5 toons no lag/stutter/freeze etc…same with wq’s. also my hdd would freak out but its seems smooth as well. my tooltip folder is at 2.6 mb and climbing.

Seems it’s fixed here, awesome

I don’t know a darn thing about tooltip… are you saying that this is something that’s bad?

16 long days but it’s finally back.

Blizzard really needs to leave Activision. They’re holding them back, it’s preventing fixes like this one from coming in an efficient manner. It’s fine if you say the “simplification of WoW was deliberate and not Activision’s fault,” but there have definitely been changes in the customer service since the change.

5 Likes

So far so good on my end as well but I’ve only been playing one character to catch up on war campaign after a year long break, will edit or reply to myself after I’ve played more toons.

The workaround we used before this fix came in involved this tooltip.log file. Seems like we are not lagging anymore, but this file is still writing a lot of lines. I was just wondering if this was somehow bad for our PCs.

I sure hope not >.< But it’s not like we will get a response either.

Seems to finally be fixed here! Thanks! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Good here for the WQ part. I’ll know for certain at raid tonight, as it was happening with boss kills too.

Please keep us updated. I’m really interested and I would test it myself but I only raid on weekends.

My tooltip is at 3mb now

The little patch today seems to fix the issue for me.

I still get the stutter. For reference, my computer was built many years ago. When SSDs started with SATAIII. So I have an 850 Evo. And while this is faster than an HDD, it’s not blazing fast like a PCI SSD. If I put wow on my HDD, the millisecond stutter turns into a 2/3 second hang. It’s still overloading the write process if my whole computer feels it. Explorer and Notepad++ stutter trying to refresh. Wow is dumping thousands upon thousands of lines into a text file in the space of a second.

It is bad to an extent. It’s even worse if you load your SSD up above 70%. SSDs degrade dramatically when nearing full capacity. They already have a few caveats to them in regards to writing. So a full one exacerbates this issue. Learn more here: https://pureinfotech.com/why-solid-state-drive-ssd-performance-slows-down/

The biggest gripe I have with it is unnecessary writes. This is why I turned on CFA. That logging info is of no use to me. Something changed with 8.2.5 and even the “fix” they rolled out didn’t solve it for me.

1 Like

I’m about to do some testing. I’ll edit this post when I return.

Edit: Alright. I popped on my monk, killed a couple rares, flew around, did some quests, no stutter. Seems like it’s fixed for me as well. Took a while, but well done.

It is fixed for me as well. Thank you!