Lag/Jittering with every quest hand-in/Level up

I’ve been experiencing it during some sound ques (spells, pets, voice lines, etc.) animations, quest turn ins, lvl up, zoning, casting abilities, among other possiblities. Other odd thing of note since 8.2.5 (not an issue but maybe related?) is that the game instantly closes upon choosing to close. I mean instantly. It used to take 3-5 secs on average to fully close the game but now it’s as if the game is waiting for it happen and it occurs within 0.2 seconds. I play on a potato that usualy runs wow just fine, but for it to close so quickly is a little odd for any game much less wow.

6 Likes

yeah now saying that i noticed that allso

1 Like

I found this fix via reddit and it SEEMS to have worked

I think there’s an issue with game logs since patch and it affects slower storage drives.

This has worked for me:

Go to your installation location and then: "retail"

Open the “Logs” folder.

Find the Hotfix file and right click > Properties

Go to Security >Select Everyone>Edit>check Deny for everything

Hit apply.

It’s writing a lot of lines (seemingly errors) in the short time of 1 second after turning in or completing a quest/world quest, looting rares/chests etc. Removing its ability to write seems to fix the problems for me at least.

credit to Avanyaa

EDIT: Some people have reported experiencing launching the game from the Battlenet client reverts the permission changes. Try launch the game from the _retail _folder instead if this solution didn’t work the first time. Make sure the game doesn’t run as administrator.

Blizz replied below; they suggest not doing this. Many are desperate for a fix, they are working hard on it.

15 Likes

^ This works.

3 Likes

@Antisocial, I appreciate this “fix”, but we shouldn’t have to go through this kind of thing to fix THEIR mistake. It always seems to be the players that have to tinker with settings, etc,. that were never a problem before. I honestly don’t want to mess with it, since the default settings must be there for a reason. It’s up to Blizzard to fix their screw up.

In any case, I don’t have the “everyone” option. I’m on Windows 7, and all I have is “Authenticated Users”, “System”, “.Administrator”, and “Users”

8 Likes

Sadly it reverted the file for me as stated in my edit above. As for ‘everyone’ i think it just meant the user accounts in general. We have the root of the problem now though!

2 Likes

When I go to the properties of the Hotfix file their is not Security option. Am I doing something wrong?

Right click the file, properties, click security tab, then edit button.

2 Likes

Also having this issue as well, running a 1080 ti with latest drivers. This started after 8.2.5

whenever i try to change them to deny, it tells me “Failed to enumerate objects in the container, Access is denied.” but it wont let me change the permissions either

I changed just the admin options, and it worked for me.

The solution above fixed it for me! Now just have to wait on Blizzard to fix it on their end

Happening to me for quest turn ins and rare killing.

I’m having frame issues too, but so far it seems limited to dungeons? I haven’t done anything with questing though. My GPU driver is up to date - so I’m unsure what is going on.

Can you give me the reddit link? I would like to check it out.

1 Like
4 Likes

I refuse to believe a random Reddit user found a solution to this annoying problem… I mean, its been 3 days, what those ppl working at Blizzard doing? You know, the ppl actually paid to do this stuff…

1 Like

It worked for me as well, I was able to do a bunch of Brewfest stuff outside Ironforge today. Everything was smooth as silk. Hoping that when I go back in game it continues that way. I did follow the suggestion to start the game from the retail folder as opposed to the Battlenet app.

1 Like

Thanks friend hopefully some blue will take a look and it will help fix the problem faster.

1 Like

i would like to get a confirmation from a blue poster that this is safe before actually trying this. Hey Blizz can you respond to this forum already? I am honestly getting more than a bit frustrated.

2 Likes