Lady Vashj's Toxic Spores kills Shaman Totems

Currently, Lady Vashj’s Toxic Spores is able to hit and instantly kill any Shaman Totems:

https://i.imgur.com/4K2HwCM.mp4

In Method’s “World 2nd” Lady Vashj kill video, you can clearly see totems happily surviving in the middle of the Toxic Spores:

There are two totems sitting in a Spore at 11:25 and they are still there at 11:45, although only visible for a few frames.

At 11:39, a shaman near the top right is hit directly by a spore, and you can see that their water totem survives the impact.

The intended behavior is that totems are ignored by AOE effects.

I believe this bug also applies to the Poison Cloud abilities used by Grobbulus in Naxxramas and Broggok in The Blood Furnace. There’s a blue post from early WOTLK saying that that version of Poison Cloud is not intended to kill totems:

https://www.bluetracker.gg/wow/topic/us-en/13909410060-totems-dieing-in-grobbulus-fight/

The spore did impact damage until 2.1 when it was removed. That video must be just after 2.1 dropped.

https://wowwiki-archive.fandom.com/wiki/Patch_2.1.0

Toxic Spores no longer deal damage upon impact.

Method killed Vashj on May 5, 2007, 17 days before Patch 2.1.0:

https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/601254-Method-kills-Lady-Vashj-!

Totems do in fact die to later ticks of the spores, currently. The initial impact does not target totems, it targets a player and the impact currently (incorrectly) splashes to totems.

You can see the totems survive the initial impact at 11:39 in the Method video.

At 11:41 in the Method pre-nerf video, a spore lands in melee range, the rogue POV takes no damage until a second later.

At 12:15 the rogue was in melee range when a spore landed. he did not take impact damage, but did take seemingly a double tick after (and so did the rest of the melee in his party).

At 12:38 the rogue walks next to a shaman, a spore targets him, he deals 2795 damage to the shaman, killing her, then the tick afterwards kills him.

At 12:46 the rogue took a direct hit from the spore, and did not take impact damage, but tick damage 1 second later after he’d moved out.

At 12:55 the rogue took a clear hit from the spore, and did not take impact damage and died shortly after from a tick.

None of these appear to have dealt impact damage, except the one time it showed the rogue doing damage to the shaman nearby.

I have bad news for you, OP, the very video you linked holds the key.

At 12:38 the rogue walks next to a shaman, a spore targets him, he deals 2795 damage to the shaman, killing her, then the tick afterwards kills him.

The shaman was not mind controlled, and the rogue was not targeted on her. It looks just like the totem deaths you show in your clip.

Do you really think 2007 blizzard just randomly put that patch note in there for no reason?

Did you look at the video evidence? There is clearly no impact damage when the projectile lands. Look at any of the timestamps I mentioned. The only impact damage I saw was him killing the shaman, and the rogue didn’t take the same impact damage, but a later tick.

I certainly think there was impact damage coded into the game, hence the patch note, but it appears to have been inconsistently applied, and perhaps only affects people/totems around the target player, not the target itself. The 11:41 example is the most clear. The spore lands, nothing happens immediately, then a tick happens 1 second later. I don’t know how else to explain it.

Let’s be clear. I am not arguing that this impact did not exist, nor am I arguing that it should ignore players near you. I’m also not making any claims about whether or not it should damage the targeted player. That’s irrelevant here. It’s very clear that it existed and spread to nearby players.

I am only arguing that this spreading impact damage should ignore totems, which is clear from Method’s video at 11:39.

Beginning to think OP was right all along, the totems are taking AOE impact damage which makes it unlike any other AOE in the game. I cant think of a single AOE other than this one that kill totems.

Proof from logs:

|00:08:05.444|Environment Toxic Spores Mana Spring Totem V 5 5 (O: 2977)|
|00:08:05.479|Environment Toxic Spores Grounding Totem 9 5 (O: 3149)|

That’s the spell-ID for the impact damage only.

Impossible that both of them were targeted by the spore so at least one of those totems took impact AOE damage. Totems are NOT supposed to be killed by any ground based AOE. This looks like a bug.

I hadn’t realized Lady Vashj was in Classic Wow. Thought that was TBC

There’s only one bug report forum for all of Classic. If you’re surprised to see this here, it means you somehow missed the other 95% of threads that are also TBC bugs. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like