Lack of tanks?

Druids are probably the best tanks in the game up until BWL where warriors catch up (likely due to weak drops for druids). If you want a tank that can step into raids quickly, are easy to level, and are easy to learn go druid. There are a few fights that they can’t/shouldn’t main tank, but other than that they are golden. You’re looking at or very near armor cap in pre-raid bis (75% dmg reduction) if that tells you anything and the use of crowd pummeler makes them untouchable at threat generation. Their inability to stop crit/crush is honestly negligible when you’re armor capped except for a fight like Chromaggus for instance where the boss hits quickly. Don’t believe the last 15 years of misinformation.

5 Likes

I made this character specifically to tank 5man dungeons for my guild.

You might see me around in a pug. :wink:
But at some point I will probably go guild only. Only so much cat herding I can put up with.

6 Likes

If you’re bad at your role you’re bad at your role. Picking a tank doesn’t make you immune to criticism or commentary, you’re not a saint to be worshipped just for picking an underplayed role. Good tanks get praised, bad ones should just reroll. You kinda sound insecure, almost as if you’ve been told repeatedly that you’re a bad tank.

You have fun hitting rend and hoping for an overpower proc?

1 Like

We don’t enjoy fighting with other players for aggro.

5 Likes

Mobs die before i need to use overpower.

Also im fury.

so are you DW’ing? And what buttons do you hit, just rend and auto attack? Not being sarcastic, legit curious cuz I was staying away from Heroic Strike so up until execute, wasn’t finding much to use.

Hey, if that spicy 0% hit rate 10% crit dual wield with no Flurry does the trick for you, then more power to ya bud.

yeah I am very curious about that too. I went arms like most suggest, and blah

The same. I see you are on Mankrik, as well. My guild needs a tank so I made one.

I leveled up full fury back in Vanilla with an alt, but I had a ton of stored gear for it with enchants (full set of plate waiting at 40). It leveled pretty fast. I would not do that now though due to lack of good gear. I don’t remember if I ever tanked with it or not. I might of even skipped dungeons, not sure.

I quest until there is a guild group. Tanking for randoms is too much of a headache.
Too many people that either can’t wait couple seconds for tank to get aggro, can’t attack the marked mob, mages that decide to pull and aoe, and people that blame tank for the things I just mentioned. Not worth it.

3 Likes

I love tanking. And if you’re willing to learn how to do it, you are valued and get to set the pace of your dungeons. Doing simple things like LoS pulling, marking mobs and waiting for mana can make you a godsend to dps and healers.

4 Likes

The only one bad I see here is you.

This isn’t feedback. Telling a player that they are bad can be a start (a bad start, but a start nonetheless) however it needs to be followed up with what is going wrong. Such feedback should be provided by someone who understand the mechanics behind the issue. Otherwise, they might be targeting the wrong person with their criticism.

Everyone was bad at one time or another, including you. Instead of telling people to reroll, you should be encouraging them to seek guidance to get better.

If you can provide that guidance yourself, then do that instead. Otherwise, you are only wasting your time more than anything else.

5 Likes

I did the opposite. I played my shaman for a bit then started to work on a warrior for tanking. Will make a druid soon enough too lol but yeah there’s a lack of tanks I think everywhere.

This.

I only tank guild groups and groups with my cousins/iRL friends. I always wanted a warrior back in vanilla so it’s all fun and games on discord while i’m learning my class lool

1 Like

This is unfortunately a big problem with classic. While druids and paladins can tank (and I’m happy to have them in my groups), especially while leveling, warriors are by far the most effective class at it. So much so that, by the time AQ40 and Naxx roll aroud, non-warrior tanks are just not used.

If all warriors wanted to tank, that might not be so bad… unfortunately, warriors also have a pretty potent dps spec (arms), which happens to also be a much sought after PvP spec. Spreads 'em pretty thin :wink:

The problem though is at end-game, you only need so many tanks. So rerolling warrior comes with its share of risks.

The guild I am in doesn’t have enough people in my level area now: 34, almost 35. I got discouraged in my last RFK run. Couldn’t get threat, not enough rage spam, a mage, rogue, and pally just running around doing what they want, even when I marked and asked for CC. I was hoping people’s attitudes would change, but its still about rushing. I like to tank conservatively and on the slow side. I tanked just fine back in Vanilla, but I think attitudes were different back then. People were ok with CC and focusing marked targets. I got kudos for my leadership and tanking back then. Now, esp in retail, I avoid dungeons mostly, or when I run its as DPS. My style doesn’t match 99% of the current playerbase.

I might try to form my own groups again to see if I can recruit people willing to CC and focus marked targets, but I am sure it will be a struggle to find those people.

3 Likes

I’m a healer, but when I build groups, I advertise what I’m looking for. Usually something along the lines of:

“LFM for relaxed run. Chill folks only please, not an AoE farm.”

I almost always get hits right away. Finding a tank is still a challenge but there are people out there who just wanna do the dungeons and aren’t looking to grind out xp as fast as possible. Just be up front about what you want :slight_smile:

You might still get a few people who “don’t get it”, but I suspect your experience overall might be better. Given that you’re a tank, you do have the luxury of instantly being able to find a group whenever you want. So if people aren’t cool, you can pretty easily replace them. Just don’t be a jerk about it, lol.

Thank god someone made another thread about this! It’s been at least an hour since the last one