Lack of Male leaders in WoW

female leads in some cultures is fine, it is just odd when tribal cultures where the most powerful lead ends up being women. Which wouldn’t be a big issue if you see the females in that race being bigger or stronger than males - which does happen in other species like sharks, hyenas etc.

Sure have female leads but do not ignore the lore. In case yall are wondering I am talking about Geya’rah only and she is a warrior.

2 Likes

Even where it’s not the norm you do have cases where a woman can be physically stronger then the men next to her. Or did you alsoget turned off byshows like Xena or Wonder Woman,or were you old enough to be offended by the Bionic Woman?

Isn’t Wonderwoman, a demigod (alongside being an amazon), and the Bionic Woman, a cyborg?
Xena seemed to be the only one who was just a skilled mortal.

I think these characters being outliers makes them more interesting though.
The Night Elves being Warcraft’s Amazons was what made them unique and fitting to have castes of female warriors.

I know that, but I am allowed to criticize the idea of such a stupid replacement as a wasteful, because I would rather to have both of them. Not for female to be elevated by removing a male. And I made that point multiple times. I like Talanji, I think she is competent but she doesn’t have the same presence as he does, and the roster of troll characters should be expanded nor depleted even more.

1 Like

Varian died too and Anduin ascended a throne but I don’t see you criticizing that. You’ve politicized females just existing and you have unrealistic double srandards when it comes to male characters.

You are just afraid of the status quo where men are in charge changing in favor of female representation and inclusion.

You don’t know much about “tribal cultures” most of them are matriarchies.

What upsets you is a clear shift away from oppressive patriarchy in favor of a more egalitarian approach.

2 Likes

No, I just hate the waste. I’ve said time and time again that I’d rather have proper family dynamic on the Horde finally.

Varian and Anduin had a chance to be a family for a few expansions before he died. So I see that there is quite a difference there and these two therefore it cannot be compared.

And as I mentioned before - Alliance have a lot of families, Horde only has Thrall, and we don’t even interact with his kids.

Secondly, Rastakhan lived over 200 years, that is quite an insight, experience and legacy that a teenager cannot compare. And this trope was done already with Yrel’s story. So we have repeated plot right there.

Talanji being in charge of Golden fleet would allow her to remain active character that would freely appear in multiple campaigns, instead of being bound to the throne.

And lastly

That is incredibly offensive statement, and quite a strawman - becuase you accuse me of having problem with female characters for just existing. IRL I am doing lots of creative projects, which involved writing, and one of the fan projects I made was a fancomic for One Piece - where the main here is … wait for it … a powerful female.

As I said, you know nothing about me, but come up with ridiculous assumptions about me, simply because I dislike how the writing was handled, I gave plenty of reasons why I I was upset with the writing, especially when I never said that her existance was a problem, on contrary I was very happy when she was annouced, and I still think she is a very decent character. But why again we couldn’t have both of them? Heck why Rastakhan didn’t have more children. 200 years and he only recently had a daughter? Where is his wife? Why wasn’t she around? Wouldn’t it be great to have him AND his wife around? I’d love to meet her. But there was literally no word on Talanji’s mother.

I’d like if as much detail was put on family relations within the Horde, especially when the clear bloodlines, ancestry and connections exist in the Alliance.

1 Like

“I can’t be a misogynist I’m writing a fanfic about a strong female character™️”

Was it you who tried to claim female representation in game was just tokenism? I think it was. Here you are reducing female leads into stereotypes.

:roll_eyes:

Every now and then it would be hinted that she has some kind of divine origin. She could fight Hercules on pretty much even terms, and he was the son of a god.

As presented all the way up to WOWs first cinematic, they were just long eared versions of Boris Vallejo fantasy females, bare midriffs and all.

Here is a difference, I am not writing that, I’m writing a strong character that happens to be a female. :smile:

What was quoted is exactly what is wrong with current writing in the media nowadays. You get lots of women who have no real adversaries, no character arcs, no real flaws, and are simply better by the virtue of being a woman. The issue is the writing, not that these characters happen to be women.

And lastly, I didn’t say that women alone were tokens, I said that game is filled with token characters, that includes males as well. So NPCs that talk the same, act the same, and their only difference is skin deep.

The Zandalari are city builders, they’re a few steps above being a “tribal” culture. I’d put Zandalar a step or two above Darnassus, and close to being on par with Stormwind.

3 Likes

Female characters are not just male characters with boobies. Being female is a different identity than being male. If you grow up female in our culture it’s under frequently double standards. If you take charge, you’re not considered a leader, you’re considered “bossy”. If you had a brother, your parents probably had differing expectations of you as opposed to your sibling. If your parents were well heeled executives, they might have sent you to Princeton, but if they did so, it was because you were expected to find a mate who was CEO material himself.

All of that more is part of being female which is a different cultural identity than being male. It’s also why gender dysphoria isn’t just some kind of "phase’ or “lifestyle choice”.

Gender is also a matter of internal wiring as well. My husband has parts of him that were built female, others built male as well as male neurological wiring. It’s complicated because unlike most people, his various gender parts were not built in alignment.

2 Likes

I think that’s why I put “tribal culture” in parentheses, I think he meant it as the derogatory “primitive” usage of the word and not practical application.

But what I said is correct many native (i’m guessing that’s what he meant by “tribal”) cultures have some form of matriarchy or founded on matrilineal kinship principle.

It feels like what Darjeel and Wonderbread are trying to say is Patriarchy is “natural” or the norm of society. But, gender oppression isn’t inherent to human nature.

I think you should send this message to modern writers, not to me. Because I am well aware of that and I agree with most of what you’re saying.

Out of curiosity, what parts do you disagree with?

I’ll keep it myself. It’s already difficult discussing writing/portrayal of fictional characters on these forums.

Maybe men should just stop thinking they can write a good female character because every time they try, it comes across as out of touch and tone deaf.

Is it really surprising men are generally terrible at writing women characters though? Men don’t have the same expectations in society or the same lived experience as a women does.

Not saying it can’t be done, I’ve read a few well written women characters by male authors. Than again the list is so small I can count the authors on one hand.

1 Like

tbf they are bad at writing male characters too.

What was quoted is exactly what is wrong with current writing in the media nowadays. You get lots of [men] who have no real adversaries, no character arcs, no real flaws, and are simply better by the virtue of being a [man].

Reminds me of James Bond, or the countless other male archetypal hero stereotypes.
He-man was another one, without his sword he was just some guy with a bowl cut and a pink frock.

1 Like