Lack of empathy

There are so many people or at least the vocal ones are so happy that these people are getting laid off when we should be supporting them and hoping they can find some where to work. It’s like these type of people wants these people who got laid off to suffer or something which is cruel.

I hope this forum doesn’t have much of these same people.

13 Likes

Ohhh boy :dracthyr_tea:

7 Likes

They’re talented individuals with experience at a prestigious company within their field. They’ll find work.

I do feel sorry for them. Last summer I was laid off despite being the 2nd highest performing member of my team because the “off shore” team was cheaper and once the contract ran out my company ultimately terminated my position. (At will contracts suck)
I relate to how they’re feeling.

But does this mean we should suddenly pretend like Blizzard has been having a good track record this past 3-4 years? No.

9 Likes

I know what it means - Deanna Troi on Star Trek is an empath but sometimes she get a bit too empathy for my taste.

3 Likes

Mostly she just stood there and made blatantly captain obvious statements like “Wow, I’m sensing hostility from that evil sounding alien that’s shooting at us.” Or telling Picard, after he found out his remaining family died in a fire “I didn’t realize you were so close”. Like, ouch, seriously…and we’re supposed to believe this character is an empath?

I’m not saying Deanna never had her moments…of course she did. Marina Sirtis is a fantastic actor and her character deserved better writing.

6 Likes

This might mean new job opportunities for new younger talented workers. There is always a silver lining.

:surfing_woman: :surfing_man:

2 Likes

Lets be honest, many of the people being laid off will most likely be moving on to greener pastures. A blessing in disguise for them.

5 Likes

16 Likes

This stuff is common when companies get bought out. There was plenty of warning.

Large companies often lay off large numbers of workers in bunches for many reasons. Any tech related industry where jobs rely heavily on technology and people can be replaced by it, often at some point find themselves laid off. When companies are merged or bought out by larger ones. They often get reorganized and in that people are laid off. Its sad but a true part of being in the work force way of life.

Yup, I too am strapped in for this one.

Her and Frakes doing the commentary track on Insurrection and just going off on wild tangents was real funny.

Deanna Troi -

"I sense a great sadness at Blizzard, like they have suffered a great loss"

Based on what, the booming gaming industry? Bungie laid off almost 1000 people a few months back. Riot Games laid off hundreds this week as well. The entire market is shrinking. The only way these people will be moving on to greener pastures is if they are dumped from a moving van into 100 acres of cattle grazing land.

2 Likes

Even if you understand or agree with the business side of the decision, you can still empathise with someone who might be being forced out of a job they loved and into an uncertain future. Anyone taking joy in this clearly has something wrong with them.

10 Likes

If I spent time worrying about every person who got laid off I’d be a freaking nutcase with never a moment to rest. People lose their jobs, it sucks but there isn’t anything I can do about so :person_shrugging:

1 Like

I think most of the vitriol is from people that think these layoffs are something cultural. Revenge for things like the social contract or narrative decisions.

All I’ve seen evidence of though is 2 different reasons.

1- The post COVID bubble pop all of tech is experiencing.

2- AI tools reducing the number of people needed.

3 Likes

Friendly reminder that many people on video game social media are still kids (and therefore have little grasp of the gravity of the situation) or completely socially inept (why they play games to begin with).

2 Likes

Are you getting paid per thread you start?

1 Like

“like a thousand souls suddenly cried out and were silenced”

Wait sorry wrong series.

2 Likes