Know Your Weapons: Macuahuitl

The Macuahuitl was a club (typically made of wood) embedded with several blades (typically made of obsidian).

They were widely used throughout Mesoamerica by many different civilizations including Aztec and Maya.

The Macuahuitl was most effective when swung then dragged backwards like a saw.

In World of Warcraft the Macuahuitl exists as a single model with four different available colors obtained in Zandalar. It’s strongly themed after the Zandalari people. The name Macuahuitl itself is not used.

Use this information as you will throughout your adventures on Azeroth :smiley:

20 Likes

I’ve seen these in real life. Why doesn’t the game call them Macuahuitl?

3 Likes

I can’t even begin to explain how much it bothers me that one of the weapons using this model is called a Scimitar.

Addendum:

I’ve recently been reminded that there’s also a Falx as a vendor weapon, but it’s not at all used like one.

4 Likes

You get trust level 3 back?

Nope. But everybody can link Wowhead. Blizzard trusts Wowhead.

FFXIV actually has several, specifically low level weapons that are authentic to the macuahuitl!

It’s a really cool weapon that is sadly completely dated, due to the nature of the teeth/blades and how they’d work with any armour.

1 Like

I will always trust you, friend.

Also, this thread is perfect. Thank you for the background.

3 Likes

That’s cool and all, but nothing will beat my favorite weapon, the Waptor Thwapper!

8 Likes

THWAP!

2 Likes

Mortis, my graven raven, you never fail to disappoint.

4 Likes

Eurgh.

Eh, call it whatever you like.
I just think of it as a big thing that hurts people and matches my bikini.

Great for the trolls to have! We don’t want to kill you (yet) we want to wound you and drag you back to be sacrificed to the loa :slight_smile:

2 Likes

:scream_cat: he’s got a board… with a nail in it!! :scream_cat:

6 Likes

I mean… according to the accounts of the Spanish Conquistadores the Macuahuitl could behead a horse.

If you don’t want to kill the guy, maybe use this lol

2 Likes

just read up on those, had no idea they were that powerful. It does seem that some were for full on killing and some were intentionally made so the obsidian is spaced apart enough it would injure the person enough to then bring them back to be sacrificed. A truly awe inspiring weapon.

1 Like

Gonna go on record as loving these, and in like two expansions when nobody is using them I’ll have them on all my troll plate wearers.

1 Like

I’ve seen so many misnamed weapons in this game I could be angry for years over it.

After a while you just kinda gotta go “Meh” and move on.

5 Likes

Probably because nobody can figure out how to pronounce it.

1 Like

A lot of item models are this ever since they added scaling loot for some reason. Plenty of “sandals” that are actually full plate boots

1 Like