Kicked from groups for explaining tanking mechanics

I have been kicked from groups or met with hostility for explaining tanking mechanics. Like waiting for sunder on skull before attacking and not AOEing elite packs in dungeons and the worst part is I was kicked out of my guild for this as well. I’m not even sure I want to keep playing the game at this point. Groups run in before the mobs even reach me and pull aggro and get mad because I can’t establish aggro and generate rage for sunders/revenge and this is my fault.

I tried explaining this concept to my guild in the guild discord and they removed me from the guild. Feeling absolutely demoralized.

44 Likes

I don’t think people would kick you for simply explaining a fight or mechanics.

There’s more to this, I’m sure.

208 Likes

Sounds like you got out of a really terrible guild. Good job.

60 Likes

You should reroll while your ahead - your playing with retail people who don’t care and are used to tanks having AOE to instantly get aggro and taunt mobs.

18 Likes

Swear on my life. I say over and over please wait for sunder and attack skull and I now pull and everyone just rushes in and starts hitting mobs. I explain not to do this and they start giving me guff and keep doing it. There is nothing more to it. I get treated like the bad guy for trying to keep everyone alive. I posted a dungeon guide in my guild discord and explain how I do things in groups and I got removed from the guild.

14 Likes

Sounds like you my friend. You need to spec Fury/Prot. You may wonder why, but people are used to steamrolling and aoe all the content. What this build gives you is more snap aggro, more rage, more personal DPS and TPS. Just suck it up and respec now.

2 Likes

I care more about my rep as a tank than any guild. I guess I want advice on how to deal with bad players in my groups without coming off as a bad person.

7 Likes

I’ve been explaining aggro management and treating the Classic player-base as if they’re 7 years old and all people tell me is “thanks for the advice.”

If it seems that everyone is the problem, it’s usually the case that you’re the problem.

39 Likes

I wonder what I am doing wrong then?

Well, I guess my post wasn’t all that constructive.

My advice would be to worry about the mechanics a bit less.

I would say from reading the thread that you might be a bit too careful.

Dungeon trash hardly needs to be glued to you - let your DPS face tank a weak add or two. If you’re clearing and moving at a reasonable pace, people are happy.

Also, I usually wait until I’m slightly overleveled or overgeared before tanking a dungeon. It helps immensely and your run will be much more smooth.

19 Likes

Sure man. Yes. Definitely. But when you Mark a skull and all 3 DPS are attacking a different mob and you can’t even get enough rage to do basic stuff there is a problem. I mean how hard is it to attack skull.

11 Likes

Spam shouts, tbh

Ik its frustrating tanking when DPS still have BFA brain, but I’m deep arms right now and have no problem holding AoE threat on like 10 mobs at a time with battle/demo shout spam…as boring as it is, it works and you’ll keep the gorillas happy. I dont think I’ve tab sundered as my primary threat builder since RFC

17 Likes

When you’re running with PUGs, you’ll have to deal with some real lousy players.

I would say deal with it, but that’s probably not fair of me. I usually run with guild-mates to avoid those issues.

2 Likes

That sounds like a really boring way to play the game. Hope it’s nerfed.

2 Likes

Classic/Vanilla tanking is more about threat than retail, but at low level it’s not that big of a deal. I “let” other people tank a bit all the time, sometimes because I’m trying to conserve rage for the next pull, but also sometimes because I don’t have the rage to do anything.

Acting like stuff needs to be pulled in a very particular/slow fashion or risk wiping is silly.

9 Likes

So silly that Battle Shout gives aggro.

3 Likes

Those people won’t be low level forever though and if they don’t learn now that is only going to make things worse when they get into UBRS/SCHOLOMANCE

15 Likes

Lol you ain’t kidding - there’s gonna be a lot of wiping.

2 Likes

Then they’ll figure it at that point then.

You either sound like you’re trolling because the story doesn’t sound all that believable or you’re just extremely overzealous in your tanking duties/requirements and annoying people.

15 Likes

Is it possible that it’s less what you said and more how you said it?

16 Likes