Kicked for doing damage as a healer in a leveling dungeon?

Is this something that happens during leveling? I got kicked because I was doing damage as a healer because healing in leveling dungeons doesn’t require much work so I focus some time on doing damage as well. I main a healer at max level and I don’t encounter this issue doing damage is encouraged in M+ as a healer. It seems they were mad specifically some hunter that I was doing damage instead of “only doing my job”. Nobody died in the run because of it. So what is the issue here?

10 Likes

You did que as a healer correct?

You probably should stick to healing.

16 Likes

You found a petty friendgroup, most likely. Mad you were beating one of them or something. No, it’s not the norm. I leveled my HPally through 100% dungeons and tried to do as much DPS as possible and never had issues.

33 Likes

As long as no one dies he did his job.

78 Likes

The thing is, there is nothing to heal in these low level dungeons. Damage is so low that I can watch Netflix on another monitor and still nobody would die. So of course I would do damage as well to fasten up the run. In fact everyone was at full hp when I was doing damage at all times anyways.

5 Likes

If you’re keeping every one alive you can do whatever damage you want. :man_shrugging:

36 Likes

So, while I generally agree that a healer can (and should, maybe) do some dps while they heal if there isn’t much to heal. However, the “because of it” stuck out to me here. Sounds like people did die and they felt that if you were focusing on healing they wouldn’t. Maybe they were right, maybe not, but that might help you understand their perspective.

7 Likes

Leveling dungeon is where the LFR heroes are hanging out and healer doing dps is not something they used to see.

3 Likes

Nobody died at all during the run. So that is out of the question.

3 Likes

Well, that clears it up. Just a lame group. Seems like people to forget even exist and move on.

6 Likes

That would make my life in dungeons while leveling healers super boring. The little damage players do take, tank included, requires next to no time to heal. If I didn’t do DPS between… I would literally just stand there and watch them fight while twiddling my thumbs.

4 Likes

A healer should DPS when able to do so safely.

Technically, killing something quicker means the mob did less damage anyhow.

19 Likes

Sounds like you outDPS’d a salty Rogue.

7 Likes

Holding doubt here… missing more than I can read…

However I can think that OP maybe did more damage than healing and tank died somehow :thinking:

1 Like

The OP says the tank didn’t die. On the subject of healers not healing, though, I’ve seen it happen more than once recently. The healer queue heal - but isn’t healing. One time I thought that perhaps they weren’t aware. There were 3 druids in the group. I thought maybe they just queued for multiple roles and didn’t notice they entered as heals. But then they outright told me “Yea I know.” And proceeded to just do dps while the tank was left to his own devices. That isn’t the only time I’ve seen it.

9 Likes

I already said nobody died in the group. You can claim I am lying but nothing more, this would be a go back and forth of me basically saying I’m not lying while you would claim I am. Therefore I will not indulge it.

5 Likes

The only thing I can think of is that maybe one of the people had to use a self-heal, because they felt they were too low on HP, and that you didn’t catch that because you were doing damage.

Other than that, I got nothing for you.

5 Likes

as a main healer, i’ve been lvling alts for fun. today i played prot paly from about lvl40 to 67. in a dire maul, the arcane mage complained i was pulling too fast for him to drink. i think he should just play fire or frost, or accept the fact that arcane needs to stop and drink, rather than expecting 4 other people to sit and wait every other pull. also it was the hunter who was chain pulling the next two packs for every single pack i pulled. the mage was too far behind to see this, so he kept blaming me.

in zul’farrak, i had about 30 interrupts before anyone else even pressed theirs. this is after me specifically asking them to help with kicks. at least on the ranged mobs just to help bring them into the pack. i ate every 7sec polymorph because the healer wouldn’t dispel, or do any dmg, and basically just spammed smend, rather than actually playing disc. he might as well play holy

in temple of atal’hakar, another entire run with 0 interrupts outside my own, and healer letting me eat every full duration sleep, as i politely asked before and during for dispels.

my point is this is how a lot of people play. they look at meters, barely handle the base of their spec, and can’t be bothered to focus on anything else. doing dmg as a healer, and those utility based make or break plays are the most fun part of the game to me. but a lot of people just don’t get it, and don’t want to

when there is no healing to be done, they want you to cast into a full health target, or not touch your keyboard

5 Likes

Eh, not always true in leveling dungeons. I’ve been in dungeons where the healer was dpsing, doing a poor job of it, and was always out of mana. So we’re sitting there waiting on him with the tank at like 30% health unable to pull the next group.

I just finished leveling my arcane mage, and I made an excessive amount of the conjured food/water because anytime I had the chance and I mean anytime I could I’d stop and eat even if it was just for 2 seconds

4 Likes