Kael'thas in Necrolords Campaign

In the Necrolords campaign, I met Kael’thas. Had no real explanation about why he was there. Of course that was clear from the Sun King boss of the Nathria raid. Which hadn’t opened yet.

Ironically both of these are time gated, so, for anyone who did Nathria first by LFR, they had to come out of order.

Blizzard really doesn’t seem to play much attention to details about how the story unfolds. They have their plot arc and they just ram it through?

3 Likes

Don’t worry, the raid won’t explain why he is with you in the Necrolord Campaign either. You gotta do the Revendreth Campaign to see his story after the raid.

12 Likes

Draka literally complains about having to babysit a soul as an act of good faith lol it’s basically that

All difficulties are open except LFR? But if you look at the calendar, we were supposed to get LFR Sun King the week of Christmas-New year’s, so blizz pushed it back a week, which is fair and reasonably because it’s the holidays and there’s always bugs.

5 Likes

Yes it is.

Why should Blizzard design around the release of LFR?

6 Likes

Because the overwhelming majority of players don’t raid on a higher level? What a silly question.

13 Likes

Technically, it wouldn’t have mattered what order you did it in, because the first half of Kael’thas, story takes place in the Revendreth covenant campaign.

We’re basically out working on his redemption with him, when we discover that Maldraxxis is smuggling weapons Revendreth. And when we investigate, we find out Kel’thuzad is behind it. And Kael’thas is immediately on board to follow that thread.

The overwhelming majority of players also understand that normal raiders see the entire raid over a month before they do.

But there’s a couple idiots in here that don’t understand this system that’s been in place for a decade now.

2 Likes

It’s a shame they havent removed the gear rewards from LFR.

They’ve removed practically any reason to do lfr besides the story.

2 Likes

Yeah so making the gear just cosmetic wouldnt hurt anyone.

They do?

:cry:

I could be misremembering but I’m pretty sure Blizzard once said that LFR basically saved raiding as content worth investing in because it actually brought in enough people for them to justify continuing to make them.

11 Likes

Well, before LFR was a thing, only a extreme minority of players ever saw the inside of a raid, hence the need to create LFR and get more people to raid. Even if LFR is all they do.

12 Likes

I know that. The problem is that Blizzard essentially made it impossible for some players to see the story in order of events. Doesn’t strike me as a good way to go.

I guess it depends on what you call “fair and reasonable”. To me it sounds like they screwed up.

Because they pay the same subscription fee as other players?

People have a right to vacations, and it is wiser to delay time gated content that is almost always bugged when it hits live than to have bugged content go live over the holidays when only the most misanthropic are Extremely Online.

But then they would be the ones getting special treatment. The complete raid came out, fact. If you don’t know the whole story of it by now then it’s not Blizzard’s fault.

To be fair the stories always been weirdly paced. That’s just the nature of the beast when you have an open world game with so much different content. Like in Bastion most players had already done Spires of Ascension before the storyline lead up to it.

As for Kael in the Maldraxxi storyline I thought he was fine. I liked the reveal since the quest starts making you think you’re going to be working with some stock ghost in rags to collect anima. Then BAM, Kael’Thas.

It didn’t need to explain what Kael’Thas’s deal was. Because you learn that, rightfully, in the Revendreth storyline. Revendreth never explains why Morgraine is in Maldraxxus but why would they? That’s not what their Covenant storyline is about.

I actually think this is solid design. The games alt friendly for the first time since I played in Legion so making you want to experience all the Covenant stories to get the full picture is fair.

I’ve my DK in Revendreth at about chapter 17 while I progress through Maldraxxus on this main. And I’ve got my Hunter and Rogue in Bastion and Ardenweald already. I’m looking forward to seeing their sides of the story down the line.

1 Like

Precisely. While the pacing is somewhat strange, what with all the dungeons being open day one, a lot of the arguments being made here are akin to arguing that the Alliance not being told why Sylvanas and the Horde left the Broken Shore and let Varian die is a “plothole”, instead of the point of having different POVs.

You wanna know why that happened? Play a Horde toon.

That’s not to say Blizzard is completely without fault here. They definitely spoiled who is actually running things in the House of Rituals in the voiceover for a world quest that was available at launch, despite that portion of the Necrolord campaign not being unlocked for several more weeks (i.e. LAST week). The model for that character doesn’t even spawn unless you’re on that part of the campaign. So that’s COMPLETELY a self-own on their part. THAT’S sloppy.

Finding out Kaelthas still exists precisely when your covenant is supposed to, though? That’s just storytelling.

I have no problem with delays for reasonable reasons. It doesn’t, however mean the didn’t make a mistake in how they did it.

No, the LFR content did not come out in time.

Did I say LFR? I said the complete raid.

1 Like

LFR’s main purpose for existing is to allow non-raiders to see the story content that was previously blocked off in the raid.

It’s not really up to debate that it’s at least some level of a mistake to gate that LFR wing so far behind that the story content went ahead of it. The first time they had an LFR wing at a 2-week delay was Lei Shen, and that was purely because he was tuned to be “a monster”, and they wanted to make sure people would have time to kill him on Normal before the LFR wing opened up. That sort of thing doesn’t really fly anymore given that Normal mode exists now, and is tuned to be easy. Same with whoever mentioned bugs, LFR’s first wing is released a week after Normal/Heroic, and at the same time at Mythic - suggesting that LFR needs a delay to deal with bugs when the week buffer has been baked in (allowing bugfixes), and actually serious modes where bugfixes are important are already going on, is just laughable.

Arguably, this also wouldn’t have been a thing if Sun King’s Salvation had been part of the first LFR wing to be released.

That’s just the nature of the beast when you have an open world game with so much different content. Like in Bastion most players had already done Spires of Ascension before the storyline lead up to it.

I’d argue that’s also at least somewhat a mistake given that:

• Blizzard had total control over the flow of the Bastion campaign, and unmasking Devos could have easily been a part of Week 1 content.
  • It’s not like they had a subtle path to Devos’ turn. She just randomly does it, not out of something like “the Maw-Walker has caught onto us” or anything like that.
  • Lysonia and Uther were both personally connected to Devos. It’s not like it was some big reveal that needed delay.