Just wondering about rating

so i was playing 2v2 last night and noticed each loss I was loosing -14 rating and for a win I was only getting +8, my rating was 1400 now down significantly from that. Is there a reason im getting this? Is it that after you play 10 rounds this starts to happen or is that just the way she goes. Because if so, how does anyone expect to get ahead in this game at all.

because u have two different ratings and they work together to determine how much u gain or lose

U have your actual character rating

And u have another one shown at the bottom right of the scoreboard after an arena which is known as matchmaking rating (mmr) which is determined basically as an average of you and your partners mmr

If your mmr is lower than your character rating you will lose more rating per loss and gain less per win

the inverse is true as well

lets say u generally play at 1400 but u decide to play with a guy who generally plays at 1000 your mmr will likely be 1200 so your partner would gain more per win and u would lose more per loss

long story short u gotta win more

a different example would be if you were 2700 and playing with a guy that is 1300 you would gain 0 per win and lose like 25 a loss until your mmr got closer to your character rating

10 Likes

yeah thats exactly what it was. i was playing with another person who was at 1k. thanks for the insight and heads up. much appreciated.

5 Likes

Just to clarify, it’s not just an average of you and your partners rating though. You and your partner could both have actual ratings of 1400 and yet have an mmr of like 1800 if you kept winning. Think of it as like your team’s “perceived skill rating.”

So in that scenario where you were on a large win streak, it’d pair you against 1800 opponents because it thinks you’re good enough to play them. If you win, you’d gain a lot of rating because it’s trying to catch your actual rating up with your mmr. The converse is also true. You can look up mmr but I just wanted to clarify that bit.

1 Like

so what conditions create a negative 21 loss and a plus 8 win 4 times in a row. like to know who the cold hearted idiot who created this algorithm is so i can paint its name on a sheet of paper and throw darts at it on saturday nights

Hidden MMR.

It’s not perceived. Your hidden MMR tends to fluctuate much quicker then your actual rating/mmr. Hidden MMR can jump up 100+ or more at a time, even more so in RBGs.

A few things.

If you’re playing with a 1k rated player and you’re 1400, you’re going to lose a massive amount of points and they may lose… almost none. The game sees them as playing outside of their MMR range and you’re playing well above the range. The greater the disparity between the two, the bigger the gains for the lower players and the larger the losses for the higher player. Well, up until a point.

I mean, it would make no sense for you to get much, if any, rating for beating teams that are 200-300 points lower than you. Once your teammate starts to catch up, your gains will be higher OR if you start playing against teams that have the same or higher MMR then you. That’s gonna take a lot of games though if you’re playing with someone 400 rating below you.

Either way, keep winning and they’ll catch up fast.

1 Like

THE AUDACITY of mfkers to post “low cr rating” on 1500. that takes a lot. and i mean a lot. of dedication, time and work and class regignition and mastery. I have noticed that the in-game shaming of lower ilvl players has decreased in the past few months. good on you mr.2400

I meant that mmr is not your actual rating and is kind of the rating the game “perceives” you at, or that you should be based on how you’re playing. I know nothing of “hidden” mmr and am unaware of why it would have 3 different metrics. That seems redundant but it doesn’t really matter for what I said.

Well, truth is to many that is low cr. I get invited to 1500 rbgs on a 0cr alt all the time. That’s all they mean. I mean if that’s a goal of yours then that’s totally fine, just keep in mind it’s subjective is all. Also perhaps they’re trying to subtlety flex, I don’t know. Not like the game isn’t toxic ever so, I can’t argue that haha.

The hidden MMR is what is placing you against the appropriate teams. Be it 100-200 rating above or below you.

You pointed to it. When you win a bunch of games in a row, you start facing higher teams. Win a ton, and you face teams that could be well outside of your actual MMR. There used to be an addon that would calculate your hidden MMR and it would get pretty crazy in RBGs. I recall being in the 2.1-2.2k range and having a 2700+ MMR. Granted, as soon as we lost one game, it dropped 200-300 points.

Isn’t that just exactly what … normal mmr is…?

hello feller i am back to explain some more

pls disregard the other things in the thread idk what purpose they serve other than to confuse the hell out of u

u lose and gain mmr at a much higher rate than you lose or gain character rating

if there is ever a large difference between your character rating and the mmr shown at the end of the game the character rating gained for winning or losing can be greatly skewed

i have to use made up numbers to explain this so let me know if u need further clarification

lets say u are 1800 character rating and mmr and u decide to queue up some arena with a guy you just met

let’s say he is 1200 (character rating and mmr) when you guys queue up together ur likely to be playing at an mmr of 1500 or so, so there is a 300 point difference for both you and your partner between your character rating and the mmr the game is having you play at

when you lose a game in this situation your mmr could move 50 or 100 points but u would likely lose something like 18-21 rating so now after your theoretical loss you are 1782 character rating but you are now 1400 mmr

if you lose again you might be 1350 mmr and 1761 character rating, again 1250 mmr 1740 character rating

now your mmr is 500 below your character rating but your character rating is only down 60 and if you were to win an arena you would only gain like 8-10 character rating

mmr AND character rating together decide how much rating you gain and lose after an arena and having a significant gap between the two can be either a horrific experience or an awesome one depending on which way the gap is

win streaks and loss streaks have an enormous impact on your ability to gain and lose rating

6 Likes

thanks for taking the time to explain this out. ive got a much better understanding of how this works now

2 Likes

no problem

i do not play retail anymore but if u have questions about anything pvp u can add me and i can help

flux#1984

2 Likes

MMR is hidden.

Ur my hero mr flux (call Amatox a noob he quit wrath already)

1 Like

mmr is shown to you at the bottom right of every postgame

Mmr is very clearly shown at the bottom right corner of the post game stats. Not what I’d call hidden.

stop playing with ppl who have lower cr/mmr than you (unless ur positive u can win some games with them)

if u can win like 5 in a row then stabilize at 55/45 youll be aight

basically… the shortest way to put it…

you want to have a higher MMR than your CR as long as possible.

once your MMR dips below your CR… and you lose… youre gonna have a bad bad time

just so it doesn’t seem complicated for no reason

the purpose of mmr is to take you away from players that are consistently beating you or consistently losing to you

2 Likes