Just scrap covenants now

Same thing happened with the Aldor and the Scryers. Only now more options. And remember…TBC was one of the better xpacs out there. /shrug Could work.

9 Likes

There isn’t much thought into going to a 3rd party website and picking the “correct” one though. The consequences already happen with IO. That’s the problem because if you’re even remotely serious about trying to do certain content there is a possibility that your freedom of choice will make you less desirable. It’s just like when an aff lock really really wants drain soul but optimally deathbolt is the “right” choice.

4 Likes

You mean you’re going to play a role in your role playing game? ~gasp~

13 Likes

Back in BC I picked Aldor on my orc rogue (main at the time) simply because I thought it was a funny idea for an orc to ally with a faction of draenei.

“Sure my people murdered yours, pillaged your cities, and did unthinkable things to your women and children, but here’s a few Marks of Sargeras and we’ll call it even ok?”

14 Likes

During Legion, your artifact ability was a single ability that made some classes phenomenal to play. Some that had weaker artifact abilities suffered. So yes, one or two could in fact be all they need.

I just re-read the bottom half of your post! Sorry about that! It might not be so bad but I don’t know if I’d want to really give it a chance. To choose between performance and flavor.

2 Likes

Did you know that some of us play to have fun?

24 Likes

I know, how dare us, right? xD

From my experience it was more about the legendaries that changed a class than the artifact. And everyone eventually got everything anyway.

4 Likes

Yes but everyone gets to choose a set of two out of four different sets. So if you care about top-level progression, you will research which is best for that. If you’re not in the small percentage that cares about doing Mythic+20 dungeons or Mythic Raiding, you have more options. It is a price you pay to be at the top of the scale.

Personally, I will never play at the level where the choice is a hindrance more than my enjoyment of my characters. I will have more freedom.

8 Likes

Yup, I’ve never been interested in that sort of world. I’m happy doing Heroic raids and getting the AotC each tier, and completing a +10 each week (doesn’t even have to be a timed one).

I fully acknowledge those guys sacrifice immersion for numbers, and if that’s the kind of game they like, good on them. Just not for me.

7 Likes

Oh I forgot about the legendaries. Yeah those were great actually. I loved having the boomkin cloak on my bear for optimal laserburr. There were artifact powers though that really shifted the balance of classes, like how prot warriors were back-seated because of their ability being trash. I didn’t play warrior but that was the generally held belief. I played a guardian/resto druid and I felt so much more powerful when I had Rage of the Sleeper and the G’Hanir buff.

1 Like

Those issues just seem to reek of a crappy community and not a game mechanic

4 Likes

That’s great, I hope you never have to pug anything.

I’ve played games for thirty years. The one truth that spans all the PC/Console wars, the one truth that spans generation, the one truth that spans genres is this.

No matter what game you’re play, the players will always look for the quickest, easiest, most efficient path. Always.

9 Likes

I would be very sad to have to choose something I didn’t want just because what I really wanted wasn’t the best. It’s why I decided not to play that lock, because I was that lock that wanted Drain Soul XD

2 Likes

One ability? I know one Rogue ability that made them the flavor of the EXPANSION in Mythic plus. Either these abilities are useful or they are useless.

The fact you are locked into one Covenant is never going to work given the over 2 years of hell that BFA has put us through.

3 Likes

The four Covenants will be the new type of mastery.
A player unlocks a mastery tree for the Covenants they decided to subdue.

• One of the traits will be faster running speed while dead.

• Other will be a % of gear damage is reduced when a death out in the raid occurs.

• One will be a player who dies in pvp has a zero res timer.

• Can anyone else see the new types of mastery skill traits that will be unlockable?

I don’t. I only run that stuff with guildies and people I know and trust.

Well then this system will be perfect for you and probably a headache for 90% of everyone else.

Or it’ll just end up being super bland to make sure that doesn’t happen.

1 Like

We should just scrap character customization in general since one option will always reign supreme over the others.

… Or maybe the options will be tailored to different situations and you can select which ones to best prepare for. I.E. single target versus AoE, moderate damage on the move versus heavier stationary damage, etc.

This requires so little imagination.

2 Likes

I mean, if one ability deals 100% damage, and another ability deals 98.8% damage, does it really matter that much?

5 Likes

I don’t have a guild or friends or anyone else helping me. I frequently try new realms and new classes or ways to play so I don’t have my roots anywhere. Now? I am certain that my way to play would become my biggest hindrance. That desire to play a class for the “feel” of it disrupted because now I have to choose what I want more. Enjoyment or progression. It is feeling more and more etched in stone than it has before.

3 Likes