**Just get rid of ALL borrowed power systems!**

Its been like that since BFA. Since you can’t really count WoD going into Legion.

Id hardly say that’s how its always been.

Power is not the content . Our powers are what we use to do the content.

1 Like

It also makes crafting a mess.

Crafting needs all the help it can get…it doesn’t need to lose half its market because everyone has the same shiny artifact weapon or corruption cloak.

1 Like

No, it’s been around loooong before BFA. Tier set bonuses from previous expansions (another form of borrowed power, btw) have become baseline abilities and talents in the past. For example, the Warrior MoP Gladiator 4-piece set bonus gave 70% movement speed after using heroic leap - this directly became the talent Bounding Stride in Legion. Another example is 2-set Feral druid bonus from TBC, which made your regrowth faster when you drop out of cat form - this became the “Predatory Swiftness” passive ability in MoP. There are examples of this going all the way back to Vanilla.

Good news, legendaries in SL will require crafting professions. There will be high demand for these throughout the expansion.

I’m talking about this artifact weapon-style system.

And I’m talking about borrowed power as a whole. You know, the thread topic?

But…if they make something spectacular again, which is moderately balanced, not overly-controlling and which doesn’t make players furious…wouldn’t they see a ton of new players, spending money and making those rascal shareholders happy?

when SL got announced at blizzcon, i was excited, new features, new levelling, torghast in alpha looked really cool and i was checking multiple times a day to see if i got in alpha, and then beta, and then they mentioned covenants and soulbinds, was optimistic. was still watching the beta vids and the changes that blizz were doing, was getting less and less excited. got into beta finally and the only tested until level 20 or so because of so many problems and granted most got fixed. seeing all the problems with covenants, soulbinds, conduits, yeah bfa 2.0.

scrap the system and start over. gear should be our only power, enchants should be our only enhancements. why do you think the game lags so much?
and no, i dont mind waiting, getting rid of this crap would do wonders

3 Likes

Amen to that.

Then have a good day cause we are gonna just run in circles.

I would have to agree. Stop wasting dev time on useless systems that will be irrelevant come next expansion. Make BETTER content instead, and make professions the extent of “borrowed” power. They keep trying to design new systems when they just need to improve on a system in the game since vanilla: crafting.

2 Likes

As long as your definition of “borrowed power” is narrowly focused just on the flashier things like Legion artifacts then there is no room for discussion, so we’ll agree to disagree.

Kinda wish this weren’t the case. Less extreme item level differences between raid difficulties could help the continual need for stat squishes. Less big growth in a single patch, and gear can last much longer through an expansion.

Take off all your gear and head out of the capital and fight a single 120 mob.

Notice how much of your “power” is skill and your toon and how much is borrowed from gear.

No, I like constant revamps every two or so years and meaningless progress that includes removing past content because it’s easier than adapting it to new content.

Again, it’s still a silly argument.

Here’s why:

Equating gear–something you can craft, voluntarily pursue by playing normal content like raids/bgs/dungeons, or partially ignore the pursuit of while still absorbing most of the game–with these extra, over-complicated borrowed power systems–which are timegated, heavily regulated and which force you into a pigeon-hole, using and extremely micro-managed and horribly unbalanced dev nonsense–makes me think that you are missing the point I was initially making. Which is fine.

I don’t think you took off your gear and fought a 120, not enough time.

You should be pulling 1k DPS at most and die. At current power levels that means gear is about 98% of my output. And it’s borrowed. That’s my point.

The game is really good at giving you a false illusion that you have become a better player.

Well most (not all) gear has been replaced every patch since BC.

Listen, I think we got off to the wrong foot. I still think the argument you made earlier is silly, but perhaps I misunderstood, as I am kind of confused by what you just said.

Are you saying that you think gear (as a ‘borrowed power’) is roughly equivalent in design, impact, fun levels and player choice as the systems of ‘borrowed power’ they’ve been throwing at us in recent expansions? Artifact Weapons, Azurite crap and so forth?

If you aren’t saying that, I apologize…and have to ask what we are actually arguing about now, because I am unsure.

I understand that gear can be technically termed a ‘borrowed power’, I get that. but I don’t agree that it has the same impact, or even interacts with game mechanics in remotely the same way, as these heavily complicated borrowed power progression mini-systems that we get each expac, which don’t seem to serve any purpose other than needlessly muddying the waters and making players wait to play the game they pay a time subscription fee for.

1 Like

Stepping into this thread late, but here’s a question:

What’s the difference between an ability that is in my spellbook (but might be removed in the next expansion), and an ability that’s attached to a piece of gear I’m using all expansion (and might become baseline later on)?

1 Like