Just dropping in to see if Blizzard came to their senses

Blizzard wants everyone playing the current content. The effort to keep old, already played, content relevant isn’t worth it to them

Then let’s make the value apparent.

The value of Classic WoW is immense. It is a culmination of near-perfect aspects of the MMORPG genre. Millions of people played this game, they grew up with it, it shaped the gaming culture at a magnitude that nothing before it ever did; and people love it.

You’re talking about bag space and banks and stuff, but what you’re missing are the intangibles of a good game and its community. And, Classic is not just a game, it’s like a time machine giving a second chance at something momentous.

Many people will pay for that because they value the feeling it gives them. That is worth a lot. All Blizzard is asking for is $15.

2 Likes

Actually it’s not a “good deal”. Paying a recurring sub for a static game.

2 Likes

Already played only pertains to those that already play the game.
It discourages new subs though…people who never played it before.

No, not just $15 but $15/month for as long as you play.

1 Like

Unfortunately, that is the plan for me right now. I canceled 2 BFA subs because I don’t want to support a product that a developer made. I realize that even if BFA and Classic had separate subs that Blizzard could and would use the money they made to support BFA. I just don’t want to give Blizzard the opportunity to use my sub as a way to make it appear that retail’s subs and profitability have increased once Classic is released. I would easily pay for the game itself AND pay more than $15/month to play on a stable Blizzard sanctioned classic server. Yes, Blizzard will know that I am using my sub to play classic…But if you think for one second that they will say on an earnings call that WoW’s profitability has increased because they re-released a 14 year old game, you are crazy. They will generalize the the increase in subs and profitability, and say that WoW as a whole is doing better…when that is not the case at all. Classic will float the garbage that is BFA for years to come.

3 Likes

IMO combined sub is good, as it will make it easier for casual retail players to try classic as they evolve over time.

1 Like

And what did you expect? A one time fee? How do you propose they find funding to maintain the servers and to offer player support?

And who says it’ll be static? They may take their profits from vanilla classic and use them to fund BC Classic, which by the way needs to be separate.

Either way, you’re just coming off as cheap and greedy. If you want a good product you must be willing to pay for it. If $15/month isn’t worth the 20+ hours of gameplay that even the most casual will get out of it then whatever man. I guess you’ll just be miserable then.

5 Likes

How do they still maintain servers for D2Lod and Starcraft ?
wow is their only sub game yet they have legacy game support for the rest with NO sub fee.

Activision is a billion dollar company…not some poor Indie company.
60% of their revenue is from microtransactions. wow subs aren’t even mentioned in their reports.

1 Like

The current subscription fee would only be a barrier to those in desperate financial straits. If you’re in a situation where a few dollars a month is going to restrict your ability to play Classic, then you should really be focusing on getting out of that situation and not on a video game.

1 Like

That’s just really stupid. You won’t pay $15/month because it’s going to support BfA. That’s moronic and pathetic, man. It’s completely illogical. It’s the same company. The money goes to the same place either way.

6 Likes

Yes, that’s implied because it’s a subscription. And you’ll pay it Brockthorn, you’ll pay it gladly and love every minute of Classic :hugs:

2 Likes

Pretty sure I said that…

A potato could run those. Nothing compared to what it takes to run WoW.

sorry…I’m not a whale. I’m not subbing and playing on day 1.
I will wait and see if it’s a true classic or a franken-wow.
And if it’s a franken-wow then I won’t be touching it.

So what’s your point? That Blizzard has no way of knowing who is paying for retail and who is paying for Classic? Because they can tell.

Said that too…did you even read my post?

Actually they have made content changes to the game over the years.
It still costs money to run and maintain and salaries for the support folks.

Classic will require very little maintenance. It’s runnin on 7.3.5 which is already supported. No new content means no dev team…just maintenance team.

I’m aware. It’s still chump change compared to the costs of maintaining an MMO on the scale of WoW.

What are you talking about. 7.3.5 is already done and maintained.
Classic requires no new development. Taking care of Legion is all maintenance is all that is required which they do today.