Just dropping in to see if Blizzard came to their senses

Did you see the Classic panel at Blizzcon? Did you read any of the dev watercoolers? Have you been paying any attention?

2 Likes

Yes. It’s 1.12 with NO CHANGES. That means no new development.
That means classic will not have a full development team behind it.

You do know the difference between a porting team and a development team…right ?

1 Like

This makes no sense. I hate the combined sub, but eventually I will pay US$15 to play WOW: Classic. There is not a snowball’s chance in an inferno that I will pay for BfA. I will never log into Retail, but if I did, it would be leveling alts through areas like Cata and Draenor zones that I actually enjoyed.

Or perhaps you haven’t actually tried it. Not having the latest expansion only means you don’t get access to races, classes, and zones specific to that expansion. Something like Darkshore or Silithus, which are being actively used by the current expansion, have phasing type stuff so a player without BfA can’t get to that “future” phase anyway and has the prior zone content.

A little side question we haven’t seen anything about from Blizzard is whether the Starter Account / Veteran Account feature, basically Trial limitations but allowing a player to level characters to 20, will expand to include WOW: Classic similar to those old 10-day trials they used to offer.

If so, there will already be an easy way to get an initial dabble in WOW: Classic for potential new players who want to try each out and see which appeals to them. (And Blizzard potentially gets to count more MAU, monthly active users, to bump up their numbers.)

1 Like

Oh yeah. I forgot. Software Developers get paid a lot less than Software Porters. I completely forgot about that.

Oh wait… This just in from news team 6… They’re the same thing.

1 Like

If you are having fun, then it is a good deal.

1 Like

Porting teams deal with already complete content.
They do not need to create any new content.
Porting teams are a fraction of the size of development teams.
No new music, no new zone creation, no quest creation, no design teams, etc.

2 Likes

A combined subscription allows Classic only players the right to request retail be gutted and rebuilt on the framework of Classic features. You’re buying the right to help salvage retail while getting your Vanilla gaming fix.

Win-Win.

No, you are paying for them to be able to say that WoW is doing great…not that BFA is a dumpster fire and is being supported by classic.

1 Like

Semantics. Porting a game can take longer or not as long with the same size team as starting from scratch. It all depends.

At the end of the day, for all intents and purposes, it’s the same as making a new game. You still have people working on it and you still have to pay all their salaries. There’s still a development cost.

We call this “development” regardless. “Porting” would be a specific type of development. And within the Classic project there is quite a bit of new development that has to be done.

They don’t report subscription numbers anymore, but they see them internally. If Classic draws more players than retail, Acti-Blizz will chase the new money, which will be coming from Classic players.

it’s not semantics at all. I’ve worked on both over the course of my career and porting teams require the least amount of manpower because all the content is there already.

That’s my point…

1 Like

And I’m sure they were much more simple projects than what we’re talking about here. Like I said, it all depends.

In this case I’m sure the team is significantly smaller, which is why we have a $15/month sub fee with no upfront game cost. That’s $60 cheaper than what it was in 2004, or was it $50? Either way. And the sub fee adjusted with inflation from 2006 would be $18.75. $15/month today is 25% cheaper than it was in 2006. The sub fee is 25% cheaper.

Yeah…but back then the sub fee guaranteed you new, ongoing content changes.

Thank god sharding is an option, eh?

Seriously ? You are using inflation to justify a mere $15/month for a 14 year old game with no future changes ?

I can play ESO today for $15 and I get new content changes.

Which much of the community doesn’t want beyond Naxx. At least not within the same vanilla servers.

And staggered content release is essentially the same thing over the 1-2 year duration.

At the end of the day you’re just wrong about the whole thing anyways. The cost for them to make it is completely irrelevant. The only thing that matters is what people will pay.

They came to their senses the moment they offered a combined sub as a way to keep the World of Warcraft brand profitable and increase MAUs.

So many people are trying to paint Classic as a gift to Vanilla gamers, but it’s all about profit and the retro game market. They aren’t making Classic to preserve it. They’re making Classic because they see a chance to make a quick profit on something.

2 Likes

Go play your crappy MMO then and stop plaguing us with your incessant whining.

The rest of us will pay the $15/month with a smile on our face.

1 Like

When you can’t defend resort to name calling.

1 Like