JF Asked When we Want More Customization

Contrary to them saying they are listening, I feel like not everyone in their development team is being heard and considered. Because there must’ve been a few people voicing concerns about adding customization for Drakthyr only but not for other races. It almost feels like only two people in there make the decisions or something.

2 Likes

If they keep their current pace with the development of these then we still won’t have them all in 10 years.

3 Likes

Oh my god it’s even worse than it sounds.

“We added some additional options in 9.1.5 as a part of our community initiatives. That was really cool; it was fun to be able to add additional customization options there, including things like the incubus for the Warlock. That was great, and people on the team are jazzed about adding stuff like that. I think player customizations are always awesome, and we definitely realize its value, and how much players are asking for it.”

How can you say this with a straight face? How can you not realize how disconnected this sounds?

Basically a whole paragraph about how it was a really smart decision and players and developers loved it, and then goes on to say they aren’t going to do anything else like that anytime soon so that they can make this new very restrictive thing as cool as possible, as if it’s not possible to do both. What a joke.

15 Likes

For the record, I want to see character customizations for 9.2.5. For at least 4 races. Keep the customization progress on-going. #noshame.

8 Likes

I mean.

I wouldn’t be asking for more if Blizzard put the same love and care into every model like they did for humans and night elves.

14 Likes

a new race won’t automatically make the game fun, but it adds some gameplay variation and may provide potential small entertainment for a while

new race/class/spec is never a bad thing

what we fear is bad implementation that creates negative feedback loops

you’re right that the final tier of slands was abandoned and pushed into the next xpac as recycled assets

Good for them.
They’re running of an engine that is modern, WoW isn’t.
Their customer base is also more focused on things like cosmetics. WoW’s isn’t.

But lets look a little deeper at FF14.

They only have 4 max level dungeons and each of them have like 3 bosses.

FF14’s new raid has 6 bosses.
Prior to this their last “tier” was 4 bosses (and 8 man).

So when you say “manages to”, what you really mean is “focuses on”.

P.S I’m not slating FF14. I’m just highlighting the differences between their model to WoW’s.
Could you imagine the WoW community if the new raid had 6 bosses and there was only 4 max level dungeons?
Hell - people are already furious that the M+ season in 10.0 will consist of 4 “old” dungeons.

Highly debatable

5 Likes

Nah, that’s just the other extreme you’re painting there.
The reality in SL was that we’ve barely gotten anything until that point. Then we got a fair amount of stuff for most races and an embarrassing low amount of stuff for others with SL pre patch. There wouldn’t be a huge outcry for more if the would put a small amount in the game every 3-4 months with the x.5 patches or something like that.
Instead they said at the Blizzconline “Nope, we’re not planning on doing any more of that in the near future” and the next time we got anything was a really small amount of stuff, a YEAR after the first stuff. And that was only because the company struggled with huge scandals and leaving players, as a band-aid.

As I said, most players aren’t asking for the world here. Just add a little bit from time to time. Lack or mismanagement of ressources is even visible with how they’re handling heritage armor. It’s laughable that we’re again already waiting for years until we see the next set.

6 Likes

It’s the same thing, they focus on it, and they manage to do it. Those concepts are not mutually exclusive.

You’re missing the point. It’s not about specific numbers of bosses or how many dungeons, the end games work entirely differently you can’t really compare by the numbers like that.

The point is that FFXIV puts out new content at a consistent pace that includes new end game dungeons, raids, and trials, while also putting out new gear and hairstyles and cosmetic rewards. You can do both, it’s not one or the other.

Adding new hairstyles or tattoos shouldn’t cost us a raid tier, it’s not so development intensive that blizzard couldn’t do it now, or hire more people to do it.

11 Likes

I’ve given up on ever being able to get this character to look the way I want her to. She will have cardboard hair, the same face as everyone else, and will be without tattoos and scars forever. :sleepy:

6 Likes

This. Sometimes I’m thinking that they’re earning SO much money in modern WoW and manage to get higher profits every year, but don’t really invest it back into the game. We don’t get more raids or more dungeons (the opposite is the case, we get even less dungeons over the years), not more zones, no faster content, not much more cosmetic options, customer support is getting worse and more automated… sigh

3 Likes

you seem to be upset about others asking for customization

nice take

4 Likes

I think all forms of Trolls, Tauren and Orc have good customization.

Disagree.
The FF14 store has a massive IRL store for cosmetics and the player base enjoys it.

Oh really?
So are you going to sit there and tell me that people are not already asking for more Dracthyr customizations?

disagree dont drag wow to the level of has been rpgs please

wow is a behemoth and does not need to copycat other mmos just because they do it

No, they’re not.
But when you said “FF14 manages to” the implication was clearly that they “do what WoW does, and more”.

Uhm, that is exactly the point.
What do you mean I can’t look at how much development time has gone into raids and dungeons? I absolutely can and will continue to do so.

That was the point I was making.

This is true. And it should be. Blizzard should never sit back and say “okay we are done with this.” Even if it is just a little here and a little there.

Let me clue you into something you apparently didn’t think of: Blizzard Entertainment is a business. Like Coke. Like McDonalds. Like Walmart. Everyone who works at Blizzard has one job above all others: to please their customers. You know who keeps asking for new customization options? Their customers.

You are correct here. But allocating those resources properly is also important. Obviously the new race has to be polished. But by design, not everyone is going to be playing this race. A whole role, and every class but one is planned to be excluded for this race. When you are already years behind on what your customization options should be, going hard into 1 thing for the next 9 months is not a good allocation.

8 Likes

I believe the debatable point isn’t that FFXIV is a game focused on customization, it’s that wow isn’t. Which is highly debatable. Blizzard not doing it doesn’t mean the playerbase doesn’t want it.

Almost like this is something that’s important to the playerbase and worth investing time and resources into.

You’re still avoiding the actual point. They do manage to do what wow does and more. They put out regular end game content while also putting out side quests, cosmetics, and more. You’re too focused on “X number of dungeons and Y number of bosses.”

Ok fine, but that’s not the point. See above.

Bruh…

Look Nilann, it took all but 5 minutes for my “extreme scenario” to already play out.

Their already paying, and continuing to pay, customers.
You know what keeps people playing?
Raids, dungeons, PVP.
Apparently you don’t understand the concept of resource management.
You realize it costs money to design customization options right?

There’s a reason McDonalds doesn’t have Tacos on their menu, despite the fact that people would probably order them.

that money goes into store mounts and transmogs KEKW

5 Likes