Jeff kaplan is leaving blizzard

Yeah never thought i’d be so sad about someone leaving :frowning:

The exodus of Blizzard devs continues. Hardly the same company anymore.

7 Likes

Well, Overwatch can’t get much worse.

I see this as an absolute win.

Now keep him away from Dreamhaven.

1 Like

How is it dramatic? Lol. Are you happier with blizzard now compared to a decade ago?

Overwatch 2 development must be going well I see.

3 Likes

I mean I know melodrama is this forum’s shtick, but it’s been 15 years. People usually move on. Expecting Blizzard to have the same leadership and personnel for that long is a bit much. Besides, Jeff hasn’t been on the WoW team for a while. Been working on Overwatch IIRC.

5 Likes

This is the part that makes me angry. I loved Blizzard, I loved their games and this is all Activion fault. We really can’t call them Blizzard anymore…

5 Likes

It’s pretty sad. I think he was the last of the old guard at Blizz.

9 Likes

As well as in game, you know? The players.

1 Like

Nah, I respect he guy, but his mindset is too out of touch with current gamers. He’s like the equivalent of gamers that say FF7 was the best FF ever and then goes on to design dated games like that.

OW started as a TF2 cashgrab ripoff. Yes, it eventually gained an identity and become a decent game. Problem was that they style and systems they used were already dated. Kind of like why HOTS never took off, they were too late to the party.

I wish Jeff luck, but OW/OW2 will need some serious changes to grab and keep people, or even stand out for that matter. Him leaving will likely give OW2 more of a fighting chance with some fresh blood heading it that actually knows what gamers of today want.

2 Likes

Jeff was the man. I felt like he was the only leader within blizzard carrying the mantle. I respected his comments a lot during the whole PR fiasco last year. Also,Enjoyed all the games he worked on. Big loss for blizzard.

5 Likes

Good bye Tigole.

I am hoping the best for you.

Overwatch and Vanilla WoW were two incredibly fun games that you helped make.

May you find a place better than 2021 Blizzard.

BTW… can someone find his everquest forum rant for memes?

4 Likes

That OG devs are leaving? You must not understand how things work when a company goes big.

Its no so much that an OG dev is leaving – thats actually common. The issue is the OG dev in charge of a project leaving as that project is in development.

Everyone called him daddy jeff or pappa jeff for a reason.

I always respected the fact that he tried to be as real as he could with the fans…And the trolling on xmass with his 24 hour long videos…

7 Likes

(man who left WoW for OW) Who’s dat? Never heard of em.

This is dramatic.

Blizzard continues to exist.

I know nothing of the company itself or how it runs the rest of its games. If I play the product, I play the product. Who wishes to come and go and how the world changes is simply how it is. We all change and adapt or we move forward.

There is no “happier” or “unhappier” to consider. It is someone who worked for nearly two decades, who does not work on the current game I play nor has for quite some time. I do not judge an entire company and how it changes, pretend the sky is falling, because times moves forward and people move on.

5 Likes

I’m sure that he got OW2 to a good point where he can leave happily.

Ya, I’ll miss his presence at blizzcon a lot, but I’m excited to see what he will move on to.

1 Like

I wouldnt be so optimisic. Usually the dev lead leaving in the midst of a large project slated to release – is bad.

I would say this is akin to the CDPR lead dev leaving CDPR immediately after 2077 came out.

2 Likes