Jaina's Arc in BFA. Full circle or Properly Developed?

Scientists define motivation as your general willingness to do something. It is the set of psychological forces that compel you to take action.

Pride means having a feeling of being good and worthy. … In a good sense it means having a feeling of self-respect. People can be satisfied with their achievements. They can be proud of something good that they have done. They can be proud of (or take pride in) their work.

Hope this helps.

Nobody is getting the content they’d like though.

Well good luck because that is not me. And this is again not the main subject, the main subject is about character, not a city. And it was not players who “destroyed” the characters, it’s the writers. If posters wants to get rid of character, it’s not out of spite to other playable faction but because they’re fed up with this particular character and they’re free to express such thoughts. This is the point I’m making. It’s their opinion, they’re not lead writers who would enforce such a thing themselves.

I really understand the issues Alliance players have and their frustration, but it seems like they’re lashing out their frustration not on developers who released this story, but on player base which had no say in this process and who were as much against it.

Horde player didn’t want another villain bat, to be portrayed as spineless aggressors, to be lectured on each step they take that it’s their fault when they were denied any choice and again losing iconic characters to the point it feels Horde was essentially dismantled. This is not the first time I’m writing that BfA killed any remaining fondness I had with this faction, I only play it for specific races that are available in it. So as you can see this experience is as much hollow, this is not “grass is greener on the other side”.

Or the red poster also could:

Really? Becuase the most people I saw replying to you, myself included never were acting like that to you. But I am new to this forum so I don’t have any long history record.

9 Likes

That’s always the struggle, I find. Between posters who have their own concerns (which is reasonable). And those who just want to use them to dismiss complaints other people have. It just becomes a competition of sorts for them instead of honest discourse.

9 Likes

Horde is getting better content.
That is undeniable.

Just look at the ARs that the Horde is getting compared to Alliance.
Yours are clearly much better.

No, red posters by definition want something that screws my side for no good reason. in this thread, want to kill an ally character on top of teldrassil? hey, cool.
Do you deserve it? i think that they won enough with teldrassil unless they are willing to give something in return or that is actually a good story for both sides.
But considering that i feel like alliance players lost enough already, that is going to be a little difficult.

It’s a matter of opinion. I quite really like Dark Irons and velves are one of the most popular AR by now.
And nightborne are… Well imo not worth it really.
But I was speaking about story we all received because we were talking about how it demoralized players on both factions, so I was saying that in terms of story nobody was happy with it.

At least I tried. Looks like you’re bitter beyond any reason.

9 Likes

lets talk again when the alliance destroy horde cities, commits all sort of warcrimes including genocide and be left untouched at the end because “we can’t hurt them too much, is a playable faction!”.
Leaving their victims totally forgotten (the nelfs hence why i sympathize with them having enough humans) and then focusing the story in everything else that isn’t the actual victims of the story while they give them cinematics in mega HD where blizzard spend all the budget so we can endure ANOTHER STUPID CIVIL WAR. and you want EVEN MORE THINGS TO TAKE FROM THE OTHER FACTION?
Enough of the clown.

yeah, maybe i am a little bitter.

Dude, what part of “players had nothing to do with the story direction and are unhappy about it too” you don’t understand?

Thanks for proving my point.

8 Likes

i understand if they had no say in the story, but i don’t when even knowing what their faction did in the story they still want to take things from the alliance so they can feel a little better while they screw the alliance at the same time.

I am a Horde poster and I don’t want the Alliance or Horde screwed over further. It’s generalized comments like this that can make the arguments worse or even a bit more personal in the forums.

Furthermore more that generalized statement really creates this feeling that any further discussion with you from red posters would be pointless.

This has been interesting to watch but I’m going to exit this train wreck of a thread.

10 Likes

Take what? They can’t take anything from Alliance. You’re on an opinion forum on a subject regarding ONE character, which people are entilted to like/dislike/love/hate. It has nothing to do with the faction they play, people can like characters from opposite faction and dislike them too. And can have bigger reasoning on why they would like to kill said character besides " :poop: and giggles". Your generalisation is artrocious.

Yeah I give up too.

6 Likes

One of the classic features of the fantasy genre is clear cut good vs evil. I don’t want complex shades of gray in my fantasy personally. I like the good vs. evil trope. If you want complex shades of gray, go outside. I like my escapism to be escapism, not a microchasm.

You seem to be one of the few exception but i know what i am talking about, i have seen it myself.
i am well aware that it has actually good and reasonable people.
Sadly, past experiences lead me to think that the good people, like you are actually a minority.

yes of course. But here is the thing, what it started the whole conversation in the first place is me seeing red posters doing exactly what i am describing so they can fuel the horde story with more alliance sacrifies. without really thinking in the other side, i am not like this because i just want.

Maybe seeing that patron is what got me in the defensive. like, is not the first time either that the alliance story was sacrificied so the horde can have their… stuff.

For me Blizzard does their thing and then Horde posters, despite being unhappy, still defend Blizzard’s writing by shooting down any solution put forward on one end and the other push for the Alliance to be punished further for having characters like Jaina or Tyrande be allowed to exist because they are hostile to the Horde.

Which you know is a frustrating concept to begin with.
I can’t talk to Blizzard’s writers for doing what they did but I can talk to Horde players who by and large hold these views.

1 Like

I don’t deny that there are players like that, but each faction has it’s extremists or people that like to see the world burn. But I would rather have more agressive Alliance which would actually re-establish greyness to the stories and give various new plpts for them and making them therefore more interesting. Alliance being all pro peace and forgiving isn’t really attractive in a game that is meant to be about war.

2 Likes

You misunderstand.

Thats not a subset of minority Horde players.
Its the majority of them. All of them as far as I am concerned.

We have reached a point where your enjoyment is based upon my misery and the same applies to my enjoyment and your misery.

So we have to reconcile how much misery you must endure so we are back to an equilibrium.

You simply cannot lump all Horde players together and expect to be taken seriously.

IMO the majority of people playing Horde at this point are dissatisfied. They didn’t sign up to be the bad guys and as Tihoccan pointed out they have no control over the story direction. They’ve invested years in their characters and they’ve probably made friends on the Horde side.

So what can they do?

• They can stop playing WoW. A lot of people have but doing so means potentially losing those in-game friendships and the time invested.
  • They can get a faction change (if they can afford it). Except this means giving even more money to a company they’re unhappy with and again means potentially losing those in-game friendships. Plus it means they have to start participating in the “the Horde is evil” narrative which is what upset them in the first place.
  • They can keep playing in the hopes Blizzard will fix things. Obviously this is the easiest option and has the fewest number of drawbacks so understandably this is what most people have done.

So given the limited options available, what do you honestly want people to do?

You yourself have pointed out when someone feels attacked they’re going to defend themselves. If you expect other people to be understanding when you lash out then it’s only fair that you extend that same understanding.

10 Likes

Your mistake is you think both sides have a similar pov of what they are unsatisfied with.
If this expansion glorified the “villain bat” with big bombastic music and enthusiastic characters then they would be happy.

The reason they are unhappy is because in a few cutscenes and quests they were told “you should feel bad about this”

I have hard time beliving that majority of people are like that. Especially when a lot of people do play both of the factions to see their content and reflect on it.

And it never crossed my mind to blame Alliance players when I felt upset over story direction. When Blizzard killed Vol’Jin and then Rastakhan I never redirected my frustration on Alliance players. I knew that the one who was behind it are the devs. And I deeply appreciated the fact that many people shared my feelings and gave some sort of support. Just like I can really feel sorry for nelves and desire for them to get some nice stuff.
And I can feel sorry for orcs too they were pretty much reduced to cannon fodder, and Mag’har didn’t lose a city - they lost a planet.
So for each one there will be something to take into consideration.

5 Likes

What a trash fire this thread has turned into. A simple thread asking if Jaina’s character developed properly or is spiraling in the wind now a thread of RvB. Like almost every other one.

Everyone is unhappy, but we’re all actually mad at the same thing: the story and the writers who put us here. Yet we just lash at each other with generalizations and big words.

Shadowlands needs to hurry up so we’re all forced to swallow the teamwork pill again.

Until then…

I share sentiment with others that Jaina was on a logical path, I’d say through MoP. Getting your city blown up and your people killed? Yeah, her reaction was believable. In the end, she got a hold of herself, but got ‘betrayed’ again. So, she knee-jerked again and went all in for a short while until a third party knocked some sense into her (Taran Zhu). While still hostile, she showed she was still willing to work with her enemies against shared ones.

Then the very end of MoP showed she actually didn’t take Taran Zhu’s words seriously at all with the whole “dismantle the Horde” thing. Then she goes back to simply being hostile to Horde characters in WoD, but still helps them make a magic ring. Then Legion. She prioritizes her hatred over unifying the world to defeat the Burning Legion, a foe far worse than Lei Shen was back on Pandaria or the Iron Horde in WoD and just…leaves. BFA then has her start from warmonger and quickly transition to peace-seeker to end. It becomes jarring, with her making some sort of attitude swap in each expansion. It stops becoming natural and instead becomes more convoluted.

5 Likes