Ive Had Enough With Sharding

Don’t you just feel the immersion?

1 Like

So, this was the case when phasing was first introduced. You’d be in combat with something, join a group, and have to drop combat in some manner before it would phase you over to the rest of the group. At some point during Legion, they removed this in association with phasing, presumably because of people whining about phasing into PvP realms and getting killed immediately. Guess when they decided to add sharding, they made it ignore the combat status as well.

Now that you cannot be phased/sharded into PvP realms, they need to turn the combat phasing back off. The number of times I’ve been suddenly sharded away from a near dead mob that I needed is absolutely infuriating.

2 Likes

They can just do what they had to do for years before this mess was forced on us. You or your friend transfers to the selected realm, problem solved. It’s convenience in all forms that’s really killing the game and CRZ/sharding is one of the symptoms.

1 Like

Paying a transfer fee? How in anyway that solves the problem? What happens if your friend quits playing? Stuck on that realm? Pay another transfer fee?
Naw I’ll pass, I like crz. Also CRZ and sharding are 2 completely different systems and 2 different ways they are used. They are not the same thing.

1 Like

What really ticks me off in Najatar is doing my daily quests by myself and seeing a gold star appear on my map. I ride over to snag it only to see a group of players engaged in combat. I rush over only to see it disappear before my eyes. I move back out of range and there it is, slowly being whittled down. I run forward again and poof, they fade away like an oasis in the desert. Makes my character feel like they are hallucinating.

Yeah, I’m with you on this. I’ve had WQ bosses phase out in the middle of fights, I’ve had players dealing damage to said bosses but them not appearing anywhere on my screen, I’ve had WQ’s that phase in and out and you can’t join it, I’ve had some WQ’s not even phase in, I’ve had Nazjatar requisition items appear right in front of me and when I go to grab them they phase out, I’ve had PvP guards phase into a PvE quest and flag me or kill me because I wasn’t expecting to be jumped.

Phasing/Sharding = :-1:

You’re in the minority judging by the comments in this thread and on the forum.

Game is legitimately broken. EVERY thread on these forums should be filled with this until it’s fixed. Unacceptable.

That and add to it that once it dies, it sticks around to be looted/clicked for quest etc.

More than once I’ve gone to loot or click the dead mobs that I’m already contesting for, only to have them disappear. One or two is frustrating AF. Five and six within a 2 minute stretch has you plotting murder. :imp:

H

Why would this be intentional?

Phasing = areas changing based on where you are in the story/quest progress.

Sharding is the egregiously bad system that has no place in an MMORPG. It’s 100% the creation of developers/engineers who don’t play the game so they think it’s great technology that solves a bunch of issues. It’s one of those things that sounds good on paper, but anyone who actually plays with it knows it’s terrible.

1 Like

The worst thing about Sharding is when you’re at a friends for dinner and the bathroom is near the living room …it gets embarrassing for sure…OH WAIT that’s not what you meant sorry

They aren’t using sharding in classic. Instead they’re using something called “layering”. I forget the difference.

Sharding, is sorta like the moment you have really bad Diarrhea and it feels good when its finally over. Then the realization sets in that you still have to wipe the rest of it off, It’s just easier to get in the shower

1 Like

Sharding has become ridiculous in 8.2 and it needs changes desperately. Today I spent 40 minutes waiting for 1 Mechagon rare that I still need, only to get sharded away from it right after it finally spawned. The time between rare spawns has made sharding an especially painful issue this patch.

Slight correction, this is Cross Realm Grouping, CRZ is Cross Realm Zones. When you see players running around who aren’t from your server out in a zone - and therefore unable to do anything meaningful with them such as friend/trade/guild? That’s CRZ. When you invite someone to a group and they phase into your zone, that’s CRG.

Blizzard could easily disable CRZ as a passive across zones - they’ve done it before - and still allow CRG. In fact, that’s how RP servers typically work (not always and usually in the Old World). That and no sharding in the Old World…BUT we can still pull others to our servers via grouping.

It’s a big reason why non-RPers are migrating to RP servers. They are refugees from the CRZ/Sharding crisis.

I’ve only had something I’ve tagged disappear once ever but I play in Care Bear mode so that might be why.

I’m surprised nobody has mentioned how this issue impacts gathering nodes and chests.

I’ve seen the items around Nazjatar required for quests like Requisition: We Need It All appear something like 15-20 yards from my character and then disappear before I can get close enough to interact. I can say the same for gathering nodes of both the herb and ore varieties.

idk about no one wanted CRZ, blizzard completely broke a few servers during the end of cata with “free xfers”. For some time they gave xfers to different high pop servers to spread tension but all they did was make people on faction imbalanced servers switch to the new server.

My example is Area 52. I started the game on Area 52 on alliance and although the horde always ruled there was ALWAYS PLENTY of people in the cities, in the towns, doing raids, doing events, raiding org, etc.

They opened a xfer option to turalyon and you could literally feel the population drop until there was no one. You could afk in stormwind for 8 hours and see 1 stray person usually some bot or bank character with the classic “kwdawedlj” name, not a single peep in chat between every city. It was empty. The only guild left for a long time before CRZ was literally named “We conquered the alliance”, they were it lol. They sure did conquer the alliance. Even then they only had maybe 8 ppl on at a time during peak times.

Anyone who missed the server xfer was trapped in a single player RPG unless they wanted to move all there characters for hundreds of dollars or start over.

Starfish flashbacks intensifies

1 Like