It's time we addressed the important question

Who will win, Kong or ‘Godzilla’?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odM92ap8_c0

Also Hollow Earth looks very interested with the few glimpses of it we get.

Pessimist View

Spoiler: They fight for a bit, but ultimately team together to stop another big monster with less brand recognition (bonus points if an evil military general is using said monster to push a political agenda).

2 Likes
Tinfoil Hat View

It’s not really Godzilla, it’s Mechagodzilla. Godzilla shows up, and Mechagodzilla and Kong team up to fight Godzilla.

1 Like

I don’t know how to hide text like you guys did but

Some people are claiming if you pause the trailer at about 3 seconds in then you can see the certain dude you mentioned that isn’t Kong or Godzilla

As for me, I’m team Godzilla. He SHOULD win, he has the edge over Kong in terms of strength, power and speed if you look at his prioer incarnations but this is a movie so I’m 99% sure there won’t be a clear “Winner”. It’ll be another Batman VS Superman where the title match of the movie wont have an actual winner which sucks.

1 Like

Godzilla is literally a walking nuclear reactor.

Kong has an axe and is a gorilla.

I know who I’m betting on.

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/new-forum-guide-syntax-and-features/19903

In regards to Monkee vs God-Lizard …

Folks tend to forget that the Kong we met in the first movie was a juvenile. His entire family, including up to a dozen other adults and as many children, were killed by a massive swarm of Skull Crawlers driven up and out of the Hollow Earth by something.

Nobody talks about what drove them up in the first place. Don’t forget, the Skull Crawlers are technically Titans, they’re just not Alpha-Class like Godzilla, Mothra, Ghidora and Rodan are. So they’re certainly incredibly dangerous and lethal, but remember, it took scores of them to kill the Kongs, and even then, most of the Skull Crawlers themselves were killed by the Kongs in that turn.

Think about how starving, how desperate the Skull Crawlers would have to be to fight to the death against a entire family of Alphas like the Kongs?

What is in the Hollow Earth that drove them to such desperation that they’d willingly go into mutual suicide mode with a clan of Alpha Titans on the surface rather than dogpile whatever was driving them out of their native territory, where they were adapted to survive?

My money is on the theory that the Godzilla we see fighting is actually the brain of Ghidora’s severed head, wrapped in tech to make a Mecha-Godzilla (and given how quickly Ghidora can regenerate, I don’t see this going well for the pilots …) and sheathed in a meatsuit made of cloned Godzilla skin.

Kong will expose this ‘rogue’ Godzilla as a man-made fake and we have our all-out brawl between the two, and the actual Godzilla, who will be much bigger after gorging on all that radioactive energy in the last movie will show up and start to throw hands with Mecha-Godzilla as the Ghidora-brain starts to fuse with both the meat-suit and the pilots and become a Ghidora/Human/Gozilla Hybrid.
Ultimately, the new Hybrid Titan will escape into space, badly wounded but able to regenerate thanks to the reactor within the technological part of it churning out energy that the Ghidora/Godzilla parts can feed off of to speed up their regeneration. Godzilla, annoyed that his old enemy has escaped but content it has at least run away from Earth for now, just turns around and walks back into the ocean without even looking at Kong, who in turn is exhausted, spent and has just watched the rival of his family disregard him as a non-threat and also gives up the grudge because yeah, no.

Humanity starts created more Kongs via tech and cloning and Kong finds himself the ‘dad’ of a whole new brood of baby-Kongs on Skull Island, with M.O.N.A.R.C.H. rehoming Gamma and Beta-class Titans to the Island and a holding facility built there for the ones unwilling to play nice.

Godzilla is seen in a holding-pattern around the mariana trench, where an opening to the Hollow Earth is present and more and more Beta and Gamma-class Titans are emerging, fleeing for their lives to the point they don’t even care that Godzilla is there and trying to herd them back in.

And from the opening, a swarm of hideous bug-like creatures swarm, merging, splitting, growing, eating, as M.O.N.A.R.C.H. finds ancient ruins speaking of a great evil, the thing that came from space as a parasite on Ghidora, a thing that wiped all life from the planet while Godzilla and Mothra were busy fighting the three-headed space-wyvern, a parasite that grew, adapted, ate and evolved so fast their weapons quickly lost effectiveness against it.

Scientists ask when was the last mass-extinction event of that magnitude and eventually, with carbon dating, figure out the text was 66 million years ago, and it isn’t human civilisation that was wiped out by this creature.

When Ghidora was defeated and trapped in the ice, Godzilla and the other Titans turned around and begun the clean-up operation, which caused hideous casualties on their side and was responsible for the population collapse of the Titans as the parasite, as a creature that could survive in the vacuum of space and that fed off the flesh of Titans was especially suited to fight and slay Titans of Earth.

And the only description in these ancient, pre-human texts for the creature?

Destroyah.

3 Likes

Jaina Proudmoore arrives on a flying ship last second and beats them both

4 Likes

Not gonna lie, that’s a pretty cool summary though I wonder if they would bring out Destroyah like that. If I recall my good old Godzilla lore he was a product of the OG Oxygen Destroyer right? Well we saw that in King of Monsters (Still pissed that that’s how they decided to use it) so maybe there is a chance we’ll see Destroyah but using your version they’d have to change his origins to suit the narrative which I’m kinda ok with.

1 Like

Damn, this honestly blew my original idea from before the trailer that Godzilla vs Kong was a Titanic hazing ritual for Kong getting inducted into the TItan Pantheon.

We literally have not seen Kong’s feats at his prime yet. Not sure why everyone counts Kong out, especially since his Monsterverse prime feats have yet to be established. Skull Island was 50 years prior, Kong was stated to be a juvenile in that movie, and he’s clearly got more of an edge in terms of agility and intelligence - kind of a standard trait of primates. He’ll be an underdog, and likely won’t come out on top either due to Godzilla being stronger or the fight ending prematurely, but it won’t be a slaughter. Kong is faster, may be even in terms of strength, and likely has enough radiation resistance from utilizing the sub-tunnels (where traces of radiation were found, cited in both KOTM and Skull Island) to where he can withstand more atomic damage than people are giving him credit.

This isn’t just ‘monkee’. This is ‘nuclear-roided 300 foot tall monkee with a daily routine of beating up big things’. So give credit where credit is due, and wait till ya see it to determine who ‘should’ win, cuz yer missing information to make a properly formulated estimate here.

Honestly, it’s a little disheartening to see so many people dismissing Kong. He’s got a longer running legacy than even Goji does, was a veteran of film ahead of him by 21 years. King Kong deserves some respect. I’m team Goji, but since he isn’t himself, I’ll be rooting for Kong so he can knock some sense into G-man. If they team up by the end of the movie, honestly, even better IMO. These movies are meant to be dumb awesome fun and spectacle.

4 Likes

Remember what happened last time a monkey fashioned something sharp to a stick? Evolutionary arms race over, monkey win.

4 Likes

But then monkey one step closer to fight with technology.

Monkey hate technology. Robot hate the monkey. They will fight eternally.

MONKEY VERSUS ROBOT!

…Kong VS Mechagodzilla confirmed.

2 Likes

I mean, thankfully Kong isn’t smart enough to figure out guns, but I reckon if they give him a big hunk of explosives and try to communicate ‘throw it at that guy’, it could also work.

Also verrrrrrrrrrrry interesting that Kong’s axe is apparently made from one of Godzilla’s own dorsal fins, which means it can channel and absorb Godzilla’s own radiation-breath, but when you watch the video again, there’s a red glow to the ‘haft’ of the weapon that doesn’t look like it is stone or wood.

We could possibly be seeing the fossilized bone of a Titan being used here, and whatever macguffinery that adds to the pile is yet to be seen.

I am geneuinely amused this is getting as much attention as it is.

This is actually a good point, and it also brought another idea to mind. As far as I know (Correct me if I’m wrong) Godzilla is incredibly proficient at combat, but doesn’t actually have a ton of experience. From what I can tell, he swims around for a vast majority of the time, surfaces and fights something every decade or so, then returns to the status quo.

Whereas in the short span of time we see in Skull Island, Kong is almost constantly at odds with something else on the island. While Kong might not have the instinctual proficiency at combat and abilities that Godzilla has, he might have more experience in fighting a variety of thing. Which he shows with his usage of tools. We don’t have Kong’s full resume like we do Godzilla, we are just left to fill in the blanks until the release.

Personally I think Kong will be the unwilling protagonist of the movie, with the main conflict being against what I can assume is Mecha G. The real Godzilla will show up and help or even get in the way, but Kong is the main monkey here. At least that’s what I get from the trailer.

2 Likes

See another thing is I feel like if we’re gonna get any sort of mecha, it’s gonna be Gidorah, what with the head found at the end of the previous film. A theory I have is that the live sample (well, FLESH sample) of Gidorah could have also allowed Jonah to replicate or enhance the bioaccoustic sonar of the Orca or concentrated it into a device that is either broadcasting to Goji live or was planted somewhere on his body releasing a signal that either controls him (unlikely) or tricks him into thinking Gidorah’s alpha cry is coming from something near him, so he succumbs to base instincts and associates the noise with anything and everything around him trying to cease it.

Making it so Jonah effectively used Godzilla as his ultimate prize.

This is just my grounded theory for if zero mechas will be involved. Also, I think Destroyah wouldn’t be for awhile if at all. While this is the last Monsterverse film on slate, I think that’s more to do with corona than with Universal’s desires to continue the series, and if they do, I think Destroyah or Biolante could be close at hand, but likely not in this film.

Oh, before I forget - Kong’s biggest edge over Goji: Opposable thumbs.

Well, okay, it WAS an advantage in the old films. I think it can be debated Monsterverse Goji has them, too.

Big monsters always have my undivided attention.

SLAMMING FIST ON DESK.

BEEEEEEEEEEEG MONKE!!!

This is a complete sentence.

M O N K E
W I N

Also, I have been totally sleeping on this series until the trailer came out. I didn’t even KNOW ABOUT Skull Island - I thought it was the Peter Jackson one at first.

I just watched Godzilla 2014 the other night, gonna watch Skull Island tonight!

There is an entire board on these forums for movies, TV, and other non-WoW media, and this is not it.

“N-nooo stop having fun”

This is literally not the first time people have talked about movies and tv on this forum. It’s not that serious.

1 Like