It's time to talk about TBC PVP

To piggy back off Vuronz from this post: It's time to talk about TBC

Since there isn’t really another place to talk about this I think it’s ok to speculate about TBC content.

So let’s talk about PVP in TBC.

That’s a huge topic in and of itself but [(and/however/whatever/insert adjective verb) for lack of there being much of an official place to talk about it)] I feel like we could just keep this topic very broad and then if people want to talk about something more specific, and felt that it should be divided up into a more specific place to talk about it enough that they made a separate, appropriately specific thread or post or whatever, perhaps a thread related to TBC Arena, or TBC PVP, etc., they could do so.

The topic of this particular post is very broad and then could be broken up into whatever posts/threads that this one gets linked to or whatever. I should probably read the rules.

An example could be the pally blessing blood elves get in tbc. I’ve seen it mentioned pretty frequently and could be a broad topic in and of itself if enough traffic is generated by it, but for now I feel it’s good as an example topic at the very least to help generate overall tbc discussion if there’s nothing else at the moment.

Another one I would bring up and has already been brought up, would be the release patch. If the original tbc launch patch is used, I can’t remember the number it would be, 2.0 or whatever earliest blizzard release patch it was I can’t be bothered to look it up right now. jk but seriously if that’s the patch, then rogues have shadowstep only in stealth meaning you don’t have step kick whatever ends up being best macro don’t look it up

But I digress just don’t troll guys come on sticky this or something I don’t know.

i liked BFA pvp more. I can turn it off and forget about it.

Actually, it isn’t.

TBC still hasn’t been confirmed.

7 Likes

I don’t know man, I don’t see why not. There are definitely people out there that have interest in the topic as a whole, and I don’t see why it has to be confirmed as long as there is this much of an interest in TBC content as a whole to say nothing of just tbc pvp. The content you’re enjoying started off the same way this topic matter gets started, and Actiblizz has made millions off of doing it. Why wouldn’t they take the same easy bet when given the market?

1 Like

This is really pve related. Seal of blood makes ret viable in pve, otherwise its not.
Belf ret pallies are better in pvp than ally because of seal of blood, but holy is still the best pvp spec. And as good as the aoe silence is, perception can be a game changer.
Pvp wise the biggest discrepancy is ally shaman are really in a poor place compared to horde shaman, which is especially bad because shaman as a class isn’t particularly great for arena pvp.

2 Likes

Oh you’re totally right. I knew the ability was super important and that only belves get it, but couldn’t remember what the ability was and just took a blind shot with the word blessing. Seal of Blood is definitely the one.

But at least if humans had that seal, there’d be more of a pvp population choosing alliance just because of that.

Arcane Torrent or whatever the silence BE racial is called I’m blanking on it right now… Anyways that’s probably a different topic and I don’t really know how I feel about it and giving it to human pallies. I guess I’d be ok with that? But the fact they’d ALSO have perception seems unfair to me.

No, it’d be irrelevant for pvp. More people would choose ally tho because it allows ret to be viable in pve.

2 Likes

I am very much looking forward to it, but also at the same time a little bit not because I rather like playing Daggers, and really the only way to do that effectively in PVP in TBC outside of World PVP and Battlegrounds is Mutilate, and that’s not all terrible just requires you have a way better partner whom you cannot carry.

All because resilience nerfs crit hard, far harder than it should have been allowed. I would have been fine with it only nerfing the crit damage, but the chance to crit was just a little too far.

If they were to make some changes, it would be wise to either put a hard cap on resilience for a value at 300 resilience max hard cap, or remove the crit suppression component of it.

3 Likes

Interesting, but your partner also has to be good enough to carry YOU.

hehe, jk

Edit: but seriously

yeah step after they buffed it is just so damn good not to take. I mean, being able to step kick while rooted is epic kinds of powerful.

In before someone says “You cant step when rooted”, oh yes you could in TBC =)

I can see mutilate actually being good in 5’s maybe in 3’s if you play a Disc, Ret, Rogue comp.

2 Likes

That is definitely true, which could greatly help with horde over representation as a whole and maybe that’d be a really good thing as a whole… it just comes down to if you’re #nochanges or not… Some sort of higher force help us whether it be God, god, or dude, or dolphin or digital.

1 Like

or Digimortal.

Also I forgot about how damn good Ret Rogue was in TBC, god that was OP, and really I think Human pala was best for that, because perception + rep is hella powerful.

1 Like

Disc/ret/rogue with mutilate could actually be sick, man. Yeah I could see that wrecking some comps and possibly shaking up the brackets a little.

I played disc/ret/step in tbc and it was super fun, but if the priest isn’t super offensively minded it just doesn’t do that well. And some comps naturally force you to have to play the opposite of that and then it comes down to just how good you are to timely blow someone up on command, often times with pure rng.

But yeah mutilate would probably be nasty in the games you were forced to play defensively in and could successfully do it.

5v5 I’m not so sure about. You just need to be at the right place at the exact moment and as a rogue you’re usually what instigates that process. And the burst is never that much about you as a rogue you’re just the absolute crazy bonus damage providing the disruption. Shadowstep is too huge for that kind of timing necessary, with or without stealth.

1 Like

You don’t really use SoBlood in pvp… The damage you deal to yourself is a pretty sizable detriment, and SoComm bursts considerably harder.

One thing I frequently bring up for TBC pvp that needs fixing is that Ret paladin pvp gear (and possibly other specs) didn’t actually have any resilience until …

SEASON 3!

yeah, seriously. Fix that.

Beyond that, I’ve always had a more minor pet peeve in that some specs don’t want just one weapon… As a ret, I’d personally want a 2h, a 1h/shield for meleee, and a 1h/shield for healing… I’ve always been of the opinion the old gear system should merely unlock an item slot… but that would be an outright change, unlike the above proposed bug fix.

people sleep on perception in arenas/bg’s. It can be hugely problematic for opposing stealthies if used properly. But you should expect every good player to be ready to attempt to bait your perception and then avoid you for 15 seconds or so. Ret/rogue was amazing with this talent because the duo could instantly scan the entire map for stealthies. It’s one of the reasons I think belf racial is slightly over rated and should probably just stay the way it is, but I can see giving it to humans too to help balance the factions which will definitely be an issue.

I just think giving them Seal of Blood sounds completely fine to me.

1 Like

fix and tune everything before launch, #yessomechanges

I always blend in together TBC and wotlk arenas in my memory lol

TBC is far less bursty than classic or WOTLK will be. TBC arenas tend to be won 1 of 2 ways, either you stagger your cc chains to lock up healing, or you oom the healer. Mana burn, viper sting (ALWAYS use scorpid pet in arena to put up a stack of 5 scorpid poison to make viper harder to dispel) will be fairly clutch in arena. As will shadowmeld drinking

Double dps 2’s really became a thing in wotlk due to the burstiness if it, but with good players it could be a think in TBC

We had Rank 1 with a 96% winrate 3 healer 5v5 (hunter lock priest dru sham) do not discount the sheer power of a priest left to their own devices (lusted mana burns) when you have a Druid + sham to heal. Also makes gibbing someone extremely difficult. Sleeper comp that took off in other battle groups at the end of TBC, but we patented it

4 dps 5v5 was a thing in wotlk, might be in TBC. Otherwise it will be the conventional healing debuffer (war/rog) + two other dps + 2 healer variants. The first ever sponsored team in WoW’s history was guild Notorious from Tichondrius (Reckful’s guild) that ran war/mage/hunter/priest/pal, and won blizzcon with that 5v5

For 3v3 obviously RMP will be king. I remember RLD and HLD was good. War/pal/x will be good. These war/pal/x will usually be cleave comps that will be pretty mindless, sitting on a healer or switch to a sitting on a caster dps defensively as needed (but usually just sitting on the healer’s face all match)

There was a shadow play 3v3 of lock + spriest + r.sham that was pretty deadly, but I think I am thinking of WOTLK

2’s I didn’t do as much but of course rogue/priest will be king. Hunter/Druid is effective as well, but will be rare bc it requires exceptional hunter players to do well. War/pal and war/dru will probably be a thing. Lotta priests and resto druids in 2’s, not as much resto sham that I recall

This is just musing based on my 14yr old memories lol

1 Like

Yup, fully agreed.

Yeah rogues are fairly broken OP at the start of TBC if I recall with cloak + broken cheat death. I hope they use post-nerf cheat death, the original implementation was way too OP

Probability of that class build is really low, odds are we get the late game one and so its meh, still good just not the god mode version of early TBC.

Another thing that kinda sucks about the late TBC is that they nerfed the backstab damage bonus on the sub talent from 10% to 5%, and if they had of just left the backstab bonus alone and only nerfed hemo because it was hemo that was Ooooo peeee, Then daggers could have still been ok.