It's time. Reduce the batching window

I preface this to say I do NOT rank and PVP 6, or 12, or 16 hours a day. The Shaman ranking gear is hybrid trash anyway. But even as a casual PVPer, I am so SICK to death of batching. It just sucks, for everyone, for every class. And even I notice it.

If I have to wander around as a sheep directly NEXT to my grounding totem one more time I am going to scream, and anybody using a spell reflector has no doubt fallen victim to something similar. I’ve seen Earthbind, Frost Trap, and Blizzard placed in the direct path of a mounted AV zerg only for about an eighth of them to actually be impeded whatsoever. I see Warriors double Charge so often it’s become it’s own meme in my guild; “I’m gonna switcheroo this dude”. Vanish and Feign Death are a complete joke, being fixed-but-not-fixed like twice already. Rogues are still getting auto’d by fully CCed targets, maybe getting a nice Deep Wounds for their trouble. What the hell is going on?

And this is by no means a comprehensive list, there’s plenty I’ve seen I’m not listing for the sake of brevity, and I’m sure there’s 500 other subtle and not-so-subtle quirks I’ve missed where this mandatory digital quicksand is to blame. I’ve seen things with batching I’ve never seen on ANY version of WoW, not even unofficial pirate servers.

How do people tolerate this nonsense when they rank hardcore? How can anybody defend this garbage? I don’t care if it’s “authentic” to the Vanilla WoW experience. “Authentic” appears to be a euphemism for “slow and garbage” in this case. If I remaster an action game that originally had 30 FPS is there a good reason I shouldn’t crank it up to 60 and make the game more responsive?

Every single time I think about playing PVP more and dedicating the time to “git gud”, I see trash like this and just think to myself “Why bother? What a complete waste of time. I can cultivate the skills to respond perfectly to what’s going on and just get put in the same stupidly large batching window with all the other scrubs barely paying attention.” I don’t see how hardcore PVPers could possibly be happy with such a drastic reduction in the skill ceiling of the game.

TL:DR We tried batching, it sucks, your nostalgia has led you astray. Change it.

26 Likes

It’s not authentic really. It was all there because of internet connections. Almost everyone has 10 times better internet now. Which is why it is just silly and useless. :shushing_face:

4 Likes

I didn’t mind it at first but the more I play the more I hate it. In vanilla it didn’t happen that often. In classic it happens all the time.

3 Likes

Golemagg trucks our tank down to 5%, I hover over his name and my brain stops before I use LoH. Instead, I think to myself, “He’s dead, my LoH will be batched” and I immediately use it on our Druid OT and it ends up overhealing the entire heal.

How bad is it that people wanted a system put into the game that makes you second guess using a big cooldown because you don’t know if your quick reaction speed and perfect timing will be punished by an unknown factor that will eat your heal, drain your mana and kill your tank without him ever receiving the heal that landed BEFORE he died.

99 parse in the trash, qq.

[00:01:00.745] Delimicus casts Lay on Hands on Mulligan
[00:01:01.488] Mulligan dies from Firesworn 4’s Melee

That’s what happened last week that makes me afraid to use Lay on Hands as an emergency heal.

Anyways, I don’t expect it to change but I really wish people wouldn’t have been so adamant that the batching be reverted back to archaic Vanilla levels. It’s the one big complaint I have about the game and I think people are making excuses for their prior investment in the system by claiming that Blizzard has it wrong. They don’t want to admit their support for this garbage system has actually drastically harmed the gameplay of Classic.

5 Likes

The nochanges crowd, while good intentioned, really mess some things up

9 Likes

I had a similar problem. My logs claimed I finished a Healing Wave 0.482 seconds before an Elemental Fire tick killed my tank on Rag.

3 Likes

I don’t think they were particularly good intentioned, they wanted something that was impossible and instead of listening when people told them it was they got junk like batching crammed into classic.

4 Likes

I think they were hoping a few months of this BS would just let people get used to how it works now and we’d stop complaining.

It seems to have worked on 90% of the playerbase. Most people are so bad at the game they don’t even notice how different it plays from vanilla.

2 Likes

The #nochanges crowd wasnt good intentioned, they were just brainless idiots too dense to consider that ancient game mechanics designed for ancient computers might not translate well onto hardware designed for games 15 years in the future.

Melee leeway, batching, the way enemies seem to spawn in 50 yards from you because the draw distance is hard-set to that range, and so on. All of these things were only in Vanilla because that was what the hardware limitations demanded, and for no other reason.

And the really stupid thing about the #nochanges crowd is that the game has been changed, but they arent up in arms about it because they only throw a fit over proposed changes, not the ones that actually happened.

12 Likes

Says the guy who advocated for post-vanilla changes in classic…

:cactus:

5 Likes

I have no idea why anybody would want this. It’s bad, it’s really bad. The batching should be matching retail and facilitating good gameplay, not inhibiting it.

5 Likes

Cramming a hacked together version of batching into classic is a post vanilla change too :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Man so many people have not recieved BoP or LoH and died since i have started this paladin. I hate it. :confused:

1 Like

Advocating changes because you think they’ll improve the gameplay of Classic is a little different than advocating for something you KNOW makes the gameplay worse because it’s authentic.

:man_facepalming:

No-changers had the intention of making the gameplay worse, and they succeeded.

5 Likes

And it’s not even authentic.

The “no changes crowd” didn’t decide to put spell batching into the game, Blizzard did. At least get it right if you are complaining.

3 Likes

Upvote.

Purposefully making the game work worse than it did 15 years ago is insane.

6 Likes

Blizzard did because the “authenticity before fun”, aka “No-changers” campaigned for Spell Batching here:

and here you can see them excited about Blizzard’s decision to revert to the stone ages:

Plenty of people there who now regret their support of Vanilla Spell Batching.

2 Likes

Authenticity IS fun.

:cactus:

1 Like

No, they did it because the #nochanges crowd drowned out all other voices and Blizzard thought people wanted the game to be exactly as it was.

2 Likes