It's Time For Playable Nerubians

So. Earthen. Being advertised as an “allied race”. By itself? Seems a little unlikely to be the only playable race arriving in our upcoming jules verne expansion here. I’m not sure what the other allied races would be, or race* if just one other, but I can’t help but notice that the way Blizzard described the new Nerubs, some kind of humanoid spider soldiers? Well, at least in my opinion, it made them sound a lot like how they were describing the Dracthyr before DF released.

Soooo… while I wait forever and ever for confirmation on playable nerubs, let me ask you all something: do you want to be a nerubian??

12 Likes

I have a feeling they will never give us a playable race that has more or less than two legs.

They put way too much manpower and money into creating new mounts. There is no way in hell they would give us a race that can’t use them.

Naga and Ogres first.

2 Likes

The new nerubian models they snuck into their big group shot look humanoid enough I think we might have a chance. They’re still creepy, but in a sort of Slenderman way. If we do get them, I’m sure they’ll have a set of two “usable” arms and legs, and any extra limbs will just be cosmetic (much like tails).

Also I doubt we’re getting them in War Within, otherwise they would have been announced alongside the Earthen. My guess is that the story in WW will end with the Nerubians we’ve been fighting against seeing our side of things, and some sub-faction of them will become playable as part of the next expansion’s story.

Regardless, I want my poison-focused Assassin Rogue Spider, and I want him NOW.

3 Likes

Yeah, it wouldn’t be. I’m not sure if you tuned into blizzcon presentation which, you know maybe wasn’t the best so I don’t blame anyone who didn’t but, they said that the queen is making a new nerubian variant. A humanoid one.

I’m not expecting the level of “complexity” and problematic issues that currently plague evokers but. I can see them being bred to be able to disguise themselves as humans or something to infiltrate us. Therefore solving the problem of “ugly bug” race or multi-limbed player race that I think some people are afraid of. However, I feel like these new nerubians would look more human than spider anyway, as it was implicated to be by Blizzard. Probably more equivalent to Shelob in the shadow of mordor game series, prior to full transformation, rather than Jeff Goldblum in the Fly.

Nagas are coming for sure

1 Like

That’s not necessarily true. Vulpera and mechagnomes were unannounced at BFA launch. Additionally, it doesn’t really make sense that they’d only release a reskin of a dwarf, and admit that it’s classified as an allied race, even market them as such, if it was the only race coming.

That said, I don’t expect the same number of BFA allied races but. Seems suspicious it was presented this way? So I’m kind of expecting at least one other, and I’m also suspecting that it’s been left in hiding because Blizzard probably wasn’t ready for Blizzcon this year. I mean, everything seemed kind of obviously rushed and glossed over to me.

Yes, I believe so. I’ve been saying this for years. In fact, I thought it was going to be the race for War Within before the expac reveal even happened. I still feel like it was supposed to come out next expansion, but I feel like it was maybe pushed back to Midnight at this point.

1 Like

We won’t get “nerubians,” but we will get a type of Aqir subspecies by the end of the expansion. We will unlock them in the lowest levels of the earth, in the last patch zone released, at the very heart of the planet where Azeroth’s world soul is located. They will be a sort of “titanforged” Aqir that have been mutated by being trapped in Azeroth’s cradle with her for so long after the Black Empire failed to mount an assault in ages past. They will be bug-like humanoids, but more colorful than most Aqir subspecies with cool pattern options for their exoskeletons (including a ladybug pattern of red with black spots)

1 Like

If the horde is ever call in their favor that the northrend nerubians owe them it’ll be in the next expansion.

2 Likes

I wish but sadly i dont think so. Any new allied race or race has fo be announced at blizzcon. Theyre no surprises anymore.

We didnt get tuakarr in df so why would we get nubians?

and then the horde can play the cockroach people - bottom 1/2 roach top 1/2 goblin

1 Like

Even under the assumption they were giving us nerubians most likely what we would get is the new bipedal variety they are adding in War within.

1 Like

I would’ve been even more hyped than I already was if they had announced that Nerubians would become an allied race, there’s maybe a chance they still could? I don’t know if I’d swap either of my mains but I’d absolutely make one of my alts a Nerubian or just level one up from scratch. Can never have enough Priests, Druids or Monks on my account.

If they do become a future allied race, I’d just hope they wouldn’t suffer the same fate as mechagnomes, where it was a somewhat hyped idea for an allied race (from what I heard at the time) just to come out like…that. I remember the disappointment clearly.
However, they still have their fans and I hope that new customizations are on the horizon for them, they need it. :saluting_face:

I like the idea of earthen too but man, playable spider people sound so much cooler to me personally. :spider:

4 Likes

These new “nerubians” are just spider elves. If we’re going to play Nerubians, let us play the genuine article

1 Like

granted, but i dont know why you would want to play as an Article. :dracthyr_a1:

but yeah, i think having a few races that are not able to use the visual slots of gear but still have them for game play balance could be fine.

or even just not ever needing to fill those armor slots and having a passive that distributes the missing values into the remaining slots making them far easier to gear on a competitive level. that alone could be the racial ability passive that they get.

what kind of mounts would you ride??

If we did get these as allied races, I’d assume their mounts would be some sort of bug like a beetle, or maybe even a bigger spider.

Although, I vaguely remember a bug mount that went unused or was scrapped around WotLK, but I couldn’t find it when trying to look for the picture. IIRC, people were speculating it was for some scrapped underground feature or something.

I think it’d be kind of cool to bring that model back as a racial mount, updated of course.

1 Like

can they be their own mount

1 Like

Pretty sure its because Dracthyr werent really advertised as an allied race. Despite having unusual limitations that make it seem as though its not a unique full feature, they intended the race to be one. I remember Blizz saying in an interview that they basically had a loose definition of an allied race being the archetypal “subrace” of rpg games. Except in select cases like the Vulpera, which used goblin rigging, and was not a subrace. Still, general rules apply, that they seem to be reskins. I really wouldn’t consider dracs a reskin.

Personally as a spider owner, I’d play any arachnid race with an exoskeleton. Yeah maybe I’d like more, like a centaurian nerub model but. Im cool with humanoid as long as she at least looks a little spidery and has clearly defined spider themed racials. If I can spin an enemy in a web or have a built in web grappling hook, imma maybe be a bit disappointed.