It's time for Blizzard to step in on the Overwolf situation

These people are trying to monopolize the “update all” button for addons. Seriously this is what it all boils down to. They are trying to leech as much money as possible off of addons by abusing the community with invasive data thieving software. Blizzard must stop this belligerent behavior and enforce the no money for addons rule.

12 Likes

I don’t trust Overwolf, nor do I use it.

However, all evidence so far has been that they are the best option for the addon developers. They get paid significantly more with them than any other resource, which is why they are still keeping their addons there.

So… in my mind this seems like a problem that blew up as a consequence of the player base neglecting addon creators for so long while using their product, and now everyone is upset.

I don’t really know that Blizzard has to do anything. Or that its blizzard responsibility to do anything. They legally have a right to deny their API to other people, their claim of resource management is real, not made up.

With all that being said…

I really don’t like that they have absolutely gone out of their way to never correct or even deny the allegations of data theft and malware on their software. That is simply unacceptable in my book and why I don’t support it.

EDIT: The best thing Blizzard could and should do is actually re-haul their entire UI once and for all. It is horrifically outdated and provides little to no information for what is expected from people nowadays.

1 Like

whats the situation going on?
i haven’t much looked into it

Definitely. Overworld muscling their way in with agressive addon moneytization schemes like a bear in a porcelain store is a definitive argument to modernize the TOS in relation to the modern landscape of ads and patreons.

The main problem to overcome is that the addons themselves are still not moneytized. It’s the specific infrastructure and levels of convenience that are. And IMO that is subverting the spirit of the rule. Blizzard needs to reword the TOS in such a way that distributing addons CANNOT be one’s business model at all, however way someone tries to slice it. If traffic to an addon generates revenue on your hosting platform, it should be in contravention of the TOS.

Then we can finally all move to GitHub, use a community maintained open source manager app, and be forever free.

3 Likes

Enjoy

3 Likes

Another thing: They did this a WEEK AND A HALF before a major patch. They know addons are gonna be wild and are forcing people onto their trash pile software. Real great timing from these people.

1 Like

There is no such rule.

Do me a favor and just point out exactly how much you have spent upon mods from Overwolf. Don’t confuse an ad stream with you actually paying for anything. Hell even Wago (the up and coming competition) has ads, are you going to bring the torches and pitchforks out for them next?

1 Like

YOU are what’s being spent on all of this. You and your data are the product being sold to advertisers. You may not value your own privacy and data but I sure do. I don’t think anyone should be using you or me or any of us for marketing purposes.

3 Likes

How is that any different from what Curse tried?

Aside from Minion (wowinterfaces client), Curse pretty much had its own ‘monopoly’ on addons.

1 Like

I am willing to bet you that you have already given all that data out about 10 time so far today. Stop acting like Overwolf is any different than the rest of the god dang internet.

2 Likes

If I had to guess I’d say Wago will affect people less than what Overwolf is doing because Overwolfs changes affected all tools used to download addons (from curse).

Just host it on github and not curseforge like majority of other addons, problem solved. It is free and less headache…you know what? Don’t mind me, although that is weird hill to die on but that’s just me. My bad. Continue the shenanigans. Excuse me while I grab some popcorn.

1 Like

There is actually.

4 Likes

There is a difference between what that says and

“no money for addons”

The Blizzard policy says that addons must be free :+1:

It doesn’t say that in no way shape or form can you ever receive any kind of revenue in any fashion related to addons

And you think that behavior is OK because other companies unrelated to the topic at hand do it as well? It’s all abhorrent no matter who does it.

It’s a good thing the addons on Curseforge are free. You don’t need to spend a single cent in order to download anything from the website or when using Overwolfs app.

2 Likes

That is only true for the moment, they will clearly grow as more and more people who dislike Overwolf will look for alternatives. Hell even WoWup will now have an ad stream on their updater as part of their deal with Wago.

1 Like

Yeah I saw that and laughed

Honestly, the only real complaints I can understand is some of the issues Overwolf had in their past and a dislike for them because they sort of seem like bullies in this situation. But they did spend a lot of money buying curseforged and the repo, so I don’t blame them for trying to protect that investment. They are being a little heavy handed…

2 Likes