It's the economy

Transmog was indeed a huge creator of inflation.

I’m not sure about heirlooms, never gave it much thought. But the leveling process is so fast, I’m not sure I would have spent any money on gear even without heirlooms. Transmogs, yes, but not gear for leveling.

I’m not sold on the idea that tokens will be bad for the economy though.

I really don’t think tokens in and of themselves would add a drastic amount of gold to the economy. I think the real inflation issues were the xpacs, transmogs, and people getting smarter about gold farming/better ways to farm gold. If implemented correctly, tokens should in fact reduce inflation. Transmogs also could reduce inflation, if implemented differently - if, say, you could only ‘capture’ the image of an item for transmog if you yourself collected that item from a drop or roll, and the cost of transmogging responded to AH values.

in classic, they would inject a stable and repeatable form of buy gold win wow. not a good plan. better to keep the gold farming for token based subs, on retail, where you can do things like buy level 110

No question it would give people a leg up, I was only discussing the inflation. Pay to win is an entirely different subject.

This argument reminds me of an old commercial against drugs. Where they showed this guy walking in circles and talked about how he would work harder to make more money to buy more coke so he could work harder to make more money to buy more coke.

I never understood people who farmed gold just to have it or cornered a market in the AH for money. To me it sounds like a job then and not a lot of fun. If I don’t need a mount or some repair money, I’m just having fun then. Farming even 1000 extra gold for no reason is stupid. It’s not like your toon needs retirement money.

As for gearing and consumables, that’s what alts are for.

1 Like

Padre either needs to get a secretary, or learn to type faster. I’m curious to see what his ideas are.

edit: probably can’t decide on which gif to use.

edit 2: probably will involve pancakes.

2 Likes

Yea. No. What ruined the game was mtx and cash grabs from the whales over actual engaging gameplay.
As I’ve said before those who bought gold contributed to this. Literally millions of extra dollars per month.

No to tokens. I agree. Not so sure with your reasoning but that’s irrelevant. No token.

No. We all don’t agree with this. At all. In fact every bit of what you’re saying has been shown to be be faulty logic.
If you will be so kind as to read through this thread. I’ll gladly continue this conversation there as will others.

These won’t be in. No to these as well. So 2 outta 3 isn’t too bad but it almost looks like you were just trying for a troll triple play. Title got edited for toxicity. That’s a dead give away. Lol.

oh before i forget, i didnt mean that heirlooms caused inflation, i meant heirlooms ruined professions.

for example, you get the heirloom ring, put a wod or whatever ring enchant on it, and now you dont need to re-chant it, posssibly ever, even if you share it between your other chars on that server. it creates an everquest like situation where the gear doesnt bind to one of your specific characters but all your characters…and you never need to replace it as it levels up with you. the only difference being on everquest, you could also sell the gear to other people, as basically only some raid gear became soul bound.

thats not a bad idea if the economy isn’t based on it. but wows economy was based around professions that are really not viable anymore till the beginning of each expac, and near the end, when the high end recipes drop or you have enough faction to buy them and get the mats. the entire game functionality of vanilla, is squeezed into the last ten levels of each new expac, whereas in vanilla, the professions were important from level 1 - 60

I believe I understand what you’re saying.

You say that wow tokens add gold to the economy because it makes people farm it more.

Is that what you’re saying? Again, I’m against the tokens.

Yes, that’s all I’m saying. So when you say that tokens don’t add gold into the economy you are probably thinking of the actual transaction… which is not what I’m referring to.

Wow tokens are pay to win, and go against the spirit of classic

3 Likes

Only it wasn’t a thing back then. WoD 2014, I believe.

I think that the more we try to pin down how a specific new feature of the years in Retail caused a sudden downfall, we realize that it was a domino effect of screw ups. For every problem there was a solution that caused 2 more problems. I can’t necessarily blame Blizzard or people asking for changes over the years, most didn’t realize where it would lead. Hell I had no idea, and I’ve asked for a few changes over the years myself, or at least supported other claims.

I believe someone mentioned how it’s actually possible for a WoW Token to generate non-trivial amounts of gold depending on how prices fluctuate but the seller is guaranteed the amount of gold when they put it on the AH. I don’t know the veracity of that claim, but it’s something to consider.

For me, WoW Tokens in Classic have a more readily present negative effect on how people approach farming and gold scarcity. Back then a lot more stuff you needed was on the AH, including a lot of Pre-raid BiS. Even if they don’t generate gold themselves, like Ehma said it will encourage people to farm in Classic differently than they would have otherwise.

I should point out that I think even if Classic had Tokens, people would probably still opt for Retail to farm Blizzard currency. Retail still has Garrisons and Classic will NEVER have that.

From what I gather, it’s that there’d be a new incentive to farm gold that wasn’t there before. People would have more of a reason to generate gold and trade it around to people who want to swipe their credit card for a one-stop shop of everything they’ll ever need gold-wise in Classic including epic mount, pre-raid BiS, enchants, and a helping of consumables with at least half left over.

One thing to think about is Classic is meant to stay static, so new gold sinks can’t be introduced over time. Once you buy your epic mount you really don’t have any major gold sinks outside of constant respecs and maybe consumables if you’re feeling lazy.

So the game would go from “copper pinch while leveling to get your mount” to “sell WoW Tokens to max level super farmers”.

yeah but mtx is what, erm…well guess who made the first loot box? and guess who survived it when thousands of other video game companies went bye bye.

…all good points.

To make things more succinct, the gameplay approach to gold changes completely. Instead of everyone pinching coppers, plying their trades and playing the AH, the economy becomes “people that farm” vs “people that pay RL money”. You get to skip the entirety of the gold making process because someone at max level with a farming strategy is already generating a crap ton of gold.

It’s the principle!

even more succintly it screws up the economy!

1 Like

Though I feel like it needs further explanation. Sure WoW Tokens don’t generate gold on their own (in theory), but it changes how people approach economy and generating gold.

So to put it even more succinctly than that

#nochanges

1 Like

its good that its available to players on retail, anyone who needs the financial help, people that cant afford the sub, for example, because they lost their jobs and havent been able to find a new one. classic players in that predicament, can still go to retail and farm up tokens for sub payments, and even accrue a stockpile so they dont have to worry about the sub for a long time. such people should be busy doing that right now on retail in preparation for classic!

1 Like

He didn’t PvP, if he did he’d know that farming gold was important.

Consumables and repair bills were as much a thing for PvP as they were for raiding.

I’m loving how everyone is finding excuses for where all the gold came from. Like the game isn’t going on 15 years old, with a lot of people who have played for years, has no regular gold sinks, and allows even the casual player to make gold hand over fist.

Or like WoW wasn’t infested with bots and gold selling services, and still is.

Tokens didn’t add crap to the game. It shifted a lot of gold farming away from the resellers to the players, and it’s a 15 year old game; of course the economy is overinflated.

1 Like

The problem with tokens, whether they introduce gold directly or indirectly or not, is that they lower the “value” of gold.

Someone willing to plonk $20 for XXXX Gold likely values that actual gold less than someone who spent YYY hours farming that gold. That can lead to inflationary behavior. The tokens also quickly concentrate large amounts of gold, which devalues it even more.

Whether it’s 1K, 5K, 10K gold in vanilla for a token - -it’s a LOT of gold.

At the end of Vanilla, after having bought literally everything purchaseable/craftable for my Warrior, I did NOT get the Lion Hearts helm, because it would have been 1000g for a single point of Crit. And a single point of Crit wasn’t worth 1000g to me. Even though I had several thousand by then, 1000g was a lot of work.

$20 to a token buyer, that 1000g is probably not worth a whole heck of a lot to them. “What the heck, 1,100g for the helm then!”

Simply, the Tokens introduce incentives for not necessarily healthy behaviors in the game.

1 Like