It's getting harder to find names

That are available to use. Blizz need to get out of the gaming Stone ages.

8 Likes

I don’t know when the last time they released names… Feels like it’s overdue.

Or they could just allow last names.

11 Likes

I know, right?

ok seeing as we are complaining about being in the stone ages let’s kick off

first and last names
player housing
decent crafting system, you have a transmog system that’s itching to go for crafters, just make some cool looking armour sets, not difficult
different abilities for different mounts

buck up blizz, all its going to take is some innovative company to basically copy and improve what you have done and you will lose a major cash cow

[Moderator Note: This post was edited to remove masked inappropriate language. Please be mindful of how you post in the future to avoid posting restrictions.]

3 Likes

Yes, the WoW killer will come any day now. Been hearing that for 15 years but surely its true now. :roll_eyes:

TOR has like half the things on your list but you’ll note its not usurped WoW or anything.

6 Likes

yeah I am very hesitant to ever use the term wow killer, in fact i think if anything will kill wow it will be wow itself. the only MMO that has ever come close would be FF (doesn’t appeal to me whatsoever)

having said that, the last two years or so blizz seem to just be stumbling from one disaster to the next and every major misstep costs more and more subs. I really want SL to be as popular as legion and bring people back

3 Likes

Agreed. I have no idea why we are still limited to an old 90s naming convention.

1 Like

IT’S GETTING HARDER TO FIND NAMEs"

I find that difficult to believe.

1 Like

I’ve had to go down name by name off a Elvish name generator to get a name for an elf char. Took about 20 tries.

Seems I am not only one who uses Sindarin based names. When dealing with rp name police you have to come correct. PLease name police, do argue how Tolkien’s work here is not RP enough.

When I made a z troll…used a name generator. that was about 15 names. I gave up. Don’t tell the name police on WRA that my z troll actually has a name reused from a Draenei I got from a Draenei name generator lol…

My latest human char has a Russian name. 3/4 servers I use this was taken. seems I am not the only one who knows what Quiet’s native name is. Yes, she is a marksman hunter lol.

2 Likes

Meh, I just make 'em up. LOL.

4 Likes

i have never had an issue with naming my characters in this game or any other.

I got this name in early Legion. They open back up after a bit!

Keep checking back every now and then. Look up their armory, see if the name you want is even actively being used. Contact them or a GM from there. Otherwise, that inactive player’s name will eventually open up…assuming it remains that way.

Friendly reminder that it’s entirely possible that FFXIV has never broken 1 million subs.

They reported YEARS ago that FFXIV and 2 of their other MMOs reached a -combined- 1 million subs.

Then we’ve heard nothing at all with hard numbers.

With Shadowbringers, Square said something along the lines of having more subs than ever, but again, no hard numbers.

PLAYERS reported that FFXIV had ~1 million subs during the lead-in hype before Shadowbringers, but they appear to have gotten to that number by essentially armory scanning. Alts aren’t nearly as prevalent as they are in WoW over there, but they’re still a thing. I personally have 2 maxed characters, 1 very close to max, 1 relatively high level character, and a low level RP alt. Unless I’m misunderstanding how they got their data, it’s almost assuredly inaccurate, making the actual number notably lower, at least at the time this was talked about.

Additionally, f we consider Square’s reporting of the combined 1 million subs years ago to be setting a precedent, the fact that they haven’t officially announced 1 million for FFXIV could mean they still haven’t reached it.

Point being, even if FFXIV is in a healthy place of slow growth rather than slow decline, it’s very possible that it’s never come anywhere even remotely close to “killing” WoW.

You play on a dead realm.

Play on any realm labeled ‘Full’ and see how many names you want to use are taken.

Keep in mind that the definition of ‘Full’ changed awhile back. Most realms labeled ‘Full’ were previously ‘High’, but didn’t actually gain population.

2 Likes

No, I don’t. I play on six different realms and despite three of them being reported as “full,” they’re all presently ghost towns like most retail servers.

Since you can use special characters, there’s a lot of variety in naming. I’ve never had trouble getting my first choice and I have 48 active retail characters and 20 Classic ones (and my Classic servers really are full).

I’ve still never made a single character where the name was taken.

“Gravestorm” would be a good example of setting yourself up to fail, lucky that you got that! :wink:

I’ve never named a character a “word”/“wordplay” name, or some kind of phrase or something.

AHahah, or THAT; Good one :wink: How was that not taken for a VULPERA? You must have had it reserved or something (or did a race change.)

I’ve also never named a character just a regular, common, “name.”

I’ve also never used alternative characters, in a name.

1 Like

They should allow us to sell names on the AH.

1 Like

I liked when you could just ask a CR to free up a name no one was using actively, but they probably got rid of it to cut costs.

2 Likes

just use the random name button